PDA

View Full Version : Why the big secret?

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 08:39
The following is an entry from the BFA web site:

THE EPEE CLUB TROPHY — MENS’ EPEE FIE "A" GRADE - Entries via Weapon Committee - Event details from HQ

The womens Epee entry says the same.

Why not give details of the location?

Is it the case that details are not yet finalised?

Or is it that they don't want spectators?

Prometheus
-13th January 2004, 10:42
No big secret. The details are on the website on the home page....

If you refer to the lack of communication for spectators I'd guess it was assumed that the general public don't visit the website that often?

Perhaps Tech could comment?

Anyway, why would members of the public want to spectate at this event? it is epee after all :sleep:

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 10:54
D'Oh!

Are you just following me around to make me look bad? :)

Are there any big fencing events where spectators are well catered for? I've looked at the details on the PDF, and it seems to deal exclusively with entrants, not spectators.

The FIE seem keen on promoting fencing as a televisual sport at the moment. Surely that should begin by attracting crowds. Watching a poorly attended port on television is always a bit weird (I'm thinking karate comps etc on EuroSport).

Are big comps promoted to affiliated clubs? Something like a flyer giving the dates and times, transport availoablity etc? Do any of the comps even have proper seating for spectators?

Robert
-13th January 2004, 11:08
Originally posted by plewis66
D'Oh!

Are you just following me around to make me look bad? :)

Are there any big fencing events where spectators are well catered for? I've looked at the details on the PDF, and it seems to deal exclusively with entrants, not spectators.

There are 0 spectators at all events. The only people present are parents, coaches, and other fencers. In fact there were less spectators at Bristol or Colchester this year than our local carpet bowls club held its internal club championship.

You're right, until fencing solves this problem it can forget dreams of television advertising.

Robert

P.S I think a national team league would help.

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 12:21
I think that's a shame. You can learn a lot from properly observing competetive combat sports. I'd love to attend a few comps as spectator. But I don't want to be the weird bloke hovering round, who'se not with anyone, getting funny looks.

So who do we lobby?

kitten
-13th January 2004, 13:15
Originally posted by Robert
There are 0 spectators at all events. The only people present are parents, coaches, and other fencers. In fact there were less spectators at Bristol or Colchester this year than our local carpet bowls club held its internal club championship.

You're right, until fencing solves this problem it can forget dreams of television advertising.

Robert

P.S I think a national team league would help.

To be fair there were spectators at BUSA, just a matter of getting the formula right. I'm sure it will be one day, but some aspects of traditional fencing would probably have to be sacrificed, (eg the white kit, rules about plain masks, the wires, possibly the concept of a piste etc etc) so it's a bit of a trade off really...

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 13:47
Wimbledopn has kept the rule of whites. Advertising could be visible but discrete.

I can see that masks with patterns might be nicely televisual.

I can see that wires could go. Secure digital networking is cheap these days, and there would be little chance of hacking. But why would they have to go?

And why would the conept of the piste be at threat? Every sport in the world has a playing area.

Oh, and by the way, what's a BUSA?

rory
-13th January 2004, 15:23
BUSAs - Universities championships. Held in Nottingham in December.

It's very easy to say wireless fencing must be easy... but it's not. The kit companies have been working on it for years, and it's only been done in sabre so far - and it ain't cheap.

plewis66
-13th January 2004, 15:29
Thats crazy.

I could write an application for a mobile phone in a couple of days that would use bluetooth to comunicate with the scorebox.

All the fencer would have to carry is a small mobile phone clipped to his/her back, and have the scoring box as a cheap PC with a bluetooth card.

I could wrte the software in a week, and sell the whole kit for much less than a grand.

Just because committees made up of non-technicians take ages to do something, it doesn't mean it's hard to do, it just means they don't know how to do it.

rory
-13th January 2004, 16:08
Firstly, I'm not in the business of making wireless kit so
1) I'm not an expert
2) You can take your slightly ranting tone to someone who'll put up with it.

However, in the spirit of providing moreinformation, take a look at this discussion:
http://www.fencing101.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6658
which covers a lot of the ground you haven't even thought about, like how to distinguish between the different things you can hit without a common ground.

Then read the specs in the back of the rule book.

If you can design a working, teste, cheap system that's got actual advantages (other than the usual "it looks cool so everyone should use it" geek crap - and yes I'm a geek too) then I hope you make a success of it.
I look forward to one day fencing with a "small mobile phone clipped to (my) back".

And I'd hardly call Allstar, Zivkovic, the Ukrainians who make the current wireless sabre kit or any of the other equipment manufacturers "non-technicians". It's patronising and I reckon it's just plain wrong.

Gav
-13th January 2004, 16:50
Not this again,

One of the guy's on this forum said he was close to a working prototype but I've not seen him on here in a while. If I get the time I'll send him a PM and see what he says. Don't forget that [possibly] it's not only the big names in fencing that have looked at this. Some of the smaller players are probably looking at this too.

Barry Paul
-13th January 2004, 17:30
I agree with every thing you say.

The present system being used works on a 50 year old idea. The problem is that it works 95% of the time. Pity the person who loses his gold medal on that 5%. Barry Paul

jonny
-13th January 2004, 18:25
Originally posted by kitten
some aspects of traditional fencing would probably have to be sacrificed... rules about plain masks,
Laurence Halsted wore his SpiderMan mask at Bristol this year, and there's that Italian epeeist with the clown mask...

plewis66
-14th January 2004, 07:47
Jeez. Talk abour a raw nerve. Sorry Rory. I apologise for having caused so much upset.

What I meant was, perhaps its the wrong type of technicians looking at the problem.

Allstar etc. have plenty of fencing equipment expertise, but the wireless communications sector solves way more complex signaling issues on a daily basis. I'm sure there are issues, not the least being the (apparent) necessity of a circuit through both participants. But I reckon if you got a couple of guys in from Nokia, and you'd have a solution pretty quick.

As for actual advantages, I don't think there are any. I don't think there's anything wrong with the system of wires.

Also, given your point 1, I find your point 2 to be much more offensive than my original post.