PDA

View Full Version : Regional competitions

Aer
-14th January 2004, 16:40
How can I find out about regional competitions? (e.g staffordshire/ shropshire region)

In scotland it seems easy - Go to the Section competition - but what about in england?

Boo Boo
-14th January 2004, 17:20
Which region does that put you in? North West? If it is then http://www.murorum.demon.co.uk/fencing/north-west/ might be of some help (go to competitions, then regional).

Links to most of the different regions can be found in http://www.britishfencing.com/other_fencing_links.html

Hope this helps :)

Boo

Aer
-14th January 2004, 19:16
cheers!

seems like my non-term-time club region (but not the club itslef) is on that site, and the west mids seniors is coming up in march

now a question about regional competitions - how is eligibility defined - is it where you live? or can you enter more than 1 region competition

i study in st andrews, i live in west midlands...

frazzled
-14th January 2004, 21:04
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think its where your fencing club is - ie. my son fences in both Kent and Essex so could enter either open.

Rdb811
-15th January 2004, 00:06
Either where you live or where you fence (I've also seen where you work - it's up to the Region). there is nothing to stop you entering as many competitons as possible.

For nationl events that have regional qualification, you can only enter one event.

Insipiens
-15th January 2004, 12:25
Is London a separate region or part of the South East?

I work, live and fence in central London so I guess that would put
me there on all counts.

The Little Un
-15th January 2004, 22:06
Dear Insipiens,
I think that you would be right there. I always thought that it was the region in which the club you fight at was the deciding factor.

Best wishes,
Judy

Rdb811
-15th January 2004, 23:48
Originally posted by Insipiens
Is London a separate region or part of the South East?

I work, live and fence in central London so I guess that would put
me there on all counts.

Separate region - although there is some overlap - south of the river is Surrey.

hokers
-16th January 2004, 09:30
Or Kent

Aer
-16th January 2004, 09:47
anyone remember the results at the central sections in scotland?

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 10:29
Originally posted by hokers
Or Kent

East of Deptford Creek / Ravensbourne River as far as i can make out. Nowhere important.

The Little Un
-16th January 2004, 11:39
Dear Roger,
Nothing important. Cathy Shipton and I went to drama school by Deptford Creek...........lol

Best wishes,
Judy

Insipiens
-16th January 2004, 11:40
Ok, now I am confused.

There seems to be a South East region (as other threads have references to their competitions), which I would have expected geographically to include both Surrey and Kent, and there seem to be county fencing unions as well, e.g. Surrey, Kent, and Middlesex.

At the link posted helpfully above by Boo (thank you) there is no reference I can find to either a South East Region webiste.

And is London part of the South East region, or like, Surrey a separate "County"?

srb
-16th January 2004, 11:59
Surrey is separate as a county (obviously), but it falls into the South East Section, which is a bigger geographical area than just Surrey. I currently fence in Surrey, Wiltshire & Somserset, but live in Hamsphire. Therefore I could fence in the South West Section, the Southern Section, and the South East Sections.

London is part of the London Section. However, depending where in London you are talking about it might fall into the South East Section. i.e. some parts of greater London are in the South East Section.

For instance I think Kingston could count as either the South East Section, or the London Section. I used to fence at Kingston F.C., and competed in the Surrey County events, the South East Section, and the London Youth Games.

srb

Boo Boo
-16th January 2004, 11:59
Insipiens

There are sort of 3 main distinct types of sub-divisions within Great Britian (although I am sure there are others too):
- County (i.e. Surrey, Hampshire, Middlesex, Kent)
- Region (South East, South West, Surrey, West Midlands, Wales...)
- Nations (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)

There are inter-division team championship:
- Inter-county team championships - Excalibur
- Inter-regional team championships - Senior Winton Cup and Cadet Winton Cup.
- Inter-nation team championships - Senior 5 Nations and Junior Home International (at this level, teams also compete at the Commmonwealth)

Both counties and regions tend to have their own individual (and sometimes team) championships and sometimes beginners and/or novice competitions.

England runs the England Youth Championships (EYCs) which they use to select teams for the Junior Home International.

Basically, there is quite a lot going on (especially when you consider all the opens that are run as well). This is good, because it gives fencers of all levels a chance to compete at a variety of competitions.

Some counties/regions have websites, others don't - depends whether someone has the time and enthusiasm to produce and maintain one for that area... For instance, there are no websites for either my county or my region.

Hope that helps (rather than confuses further! ;) )
Boo

Boo Boo
-16th January 2004, 12:03
Originally posted by srb
& Somserset

That would be Gloucester I think ;)

Boo
(splitting hairs)

Aer
-16th January 2004, 12:06
is there a list / website / contact details for regional/county bodies eg staffs?

and a list or regional / county level competitions?

Insipiens
-16th January 2004, 12:21
Thanks very much Boo and srb, I am much less confused. :)

All I need to do now is discover where I can find out about the London region.

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 12:35
Neither London nor SE Regions have websites - SE comprises Surrey, Kent, Middlesx and Sussex. Within the London are there is some overlap between the SE and London regions -e.g. Streatham and Wimbledon are part of Surrey (and SE).

Most of the SE information can be found on the Surrey site - www.scfu.homestead.com

London is a "unitary authority" and doesn't hae any counties. PM / e-mail me for the contact details for London (to avoid putting an e-mail address on the Internet).