PDA

View Full Version : fave fencer

thrustra
-14th January 2004, 23:31
who was your fave British mens foilist and womens foilist from 1985 to 1995 and why??? and would they beat todays best man or woman?

Marcos
-16th January 2004, 09:27
Harps of course for the men

Holly Daglish (now working in a prison I think) for the girls

thrustra
-16th January 2004, 10:39
which harps L or P?
bill gosbee was good eh?
Donnie Mac too?

Dr techtacticia
-16th January 2004, 11:52
I thought harps L was very fast and fit, p harps same but more consistant, gosbees timing second to none and mckenzie when he was in his prime v hard to beat,
any one want to ask the dr a tecnical or tactical question?

uk_45
-16th January 2004, 21:27
He aint a foilist but for sabre i would have to say Mr. Bruce Dickenson, great fencer, great singer, great piolit, great radio presenter, Oh yeah and great live.

Boo Boo
-16th January 2004, 21:58
Originally posted by uk_45
He aint a foilist but for sabre i would have to say Mr. Bruce Dickenson

He might also be offended - he certainly did fence foil ;)

Boo

Rdb811
-16th January 2004, 23:37
Years ago when I started to fence my mother saw an interview with Mr Dickinson in the Telegraph were he said he didn't fence sabre as it wasn't electric - "does that mean it isn' very fast then ?"

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 16:49
He might also be offended - he certainly did fence foil

True but i seem to remeber he mostly fenced sabre im pretty sure he was asked to fence sabre for england. Might be wrong tho!

Rdb811
-17th January 2004, 16:57
I'll ask someone who did fence him this evening - Equity championship - apparntly as Bruce walked in, you could see the rest of fencers groaning and adjusting their expectations one place lower.

uk_45
-17th January 2004, 17:03
Truley was great, a couple of people from my club have meet him.

JohnL
-19th January 2004, 16:01
Comparing Pierre and Lauren Harper?

Pierre out-classed Lauren in every aspect of fencing. It wasn't even close.

Peanut_UK
-19th January 2004, 16:37
Originally posted by uk_45
True but i seem to remeber he mostly fenced sabre im pretty sure he was asked to fence sabre for england. Might be wrong tho!

I always thought he was an epeeist.... ah well!

I'll ask him if I ever bump into him at a local guitar shop (he's been spotted there a few times apparently!)

haggis
-19th January 2004, 21:30
Bill Gosbee and Linda Martin.

Bruce Dickinson definitely a foilist.

Marcos
-20th January 2004, 08:33
Dickenson was a foilist - end of story

It was P Harper I spoke of

thrustra
-20th January 2004, 11:07
yes pierre was much better than L in the 80`s by miles of course and won lots of comps, but Lh were`nt bad in the early 90`s and won the british twice? then there was sussex house and i think sam johnson was the best fencer from there he just did not win as much as some of the other s.h fencers, like paul walsh, sam was very talented, still is,
Richard is the top man now though ! well done in the world champs
:party:

thrustra
-20th January 2004, 11:44
stefano cerioni 0 hits, john lawrence 5
not a lot remember that i bet

pinkelephant
-20th January 2004, 12:27
I bet not a lot remember 3 Card Trick beating Dal Zotto in Paris either.

Keith.A.Smith
-22nd January 2004, 21:17
In the period you are talking about Billy Gosbee and Linda Martin were certainly the tops in GBR foil. But In 1995 we had Khaled Beydoun and Sam Johnson in the Junior and Cadet world final 8 respectively, in 1997 we had Ben Montague win a bronze in the world cadet foil championships, in 1998 James Beevers was in the Junior World final 8. In 2000 Michelle Glisson made the Junior World Championships top 8, in 2001 Laurence Halsted made the cadet world championships top 8 and in 2002 David Riseley and Richard Kruse both made the Junior World Championships top 8. Of course in 2003 Richard Kruse made the Senior World Championships top 8.

All in all since 1995 we have had some excellent Cadet and Junior World results at foil.

For interest in 1996 Philippe Barbasiewicz made the Cadet World championships top 8 at epee. in 1998 Tom Benney did the same at sabre, in 2002 Louise Bond-Williams won the Silver medal at the Junior World Championships and made the top 8 in the Senior World Championships and Chrystall Nicoll made the top 8 at cadet sabre at the cadet World championships and Tristan Lane made the top 8 at men's epee at the Junior World Championships.

Keith