PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Volunteering Age

ace359
-2nd May 2010, 14:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/2012/newsid_8655000/8655360.stm

Just watched this on the BBC website ^

I'm just over 18 so this doesn't affect me but if I wasn't I'd be pretty let down. I mean if children are able to be employed from 16 or younger under supervision I don't see why they can't volunteer if part of a team that includes adults. I don't see why "child protection" is any more of an issue for under-18 volunteers at 2012 than it is if they were employed/ volunteering anywhere else.

Any thoughts on this?...

PM1
-4th May 2010, 12:48
Not quite sure what this is aiming to achieve....i might ask a question or 2 of some bodies. Sounds all a bit OTT to me on what was said in the report.

Calvin
-4th May 2010, 21:14
Not quite sure what this is aiming to achieve....i might ask a question or 2 of some bodies. Sounds all a bit OTT to me on what was said in the report.

I imagine it's meant to mean a *lot* less admin as well as avoiding having to even think about child protection issues with respect to helpers.

Very, very sad though as it will deny a lot of very keen and very talented athletes an opportunity of a lifetime.

Baldric
-4th May 2010, 21:48
I imagine it's meant to mean a *lot* less admin as well as avoiding having to even think about child protection issues with respect to helpers.

I suspect you are right.

My company has stopped taking work experience school kids, because the admin load is prohibitive.

The shame is that in order to protect children, we have probably closed down lots of opportunities for them.

The Tory party manifesto for sport includes this headline:

a reduction in bureaucracy affecting volunteers

If they win on Thursday, I am fascinated to see how they go about putting the toothpaste back into the tube!

The first time a child gets hurt/molested by a de-regulated volunteer, they will be slaughtered by the media. The same media that currently whine about over-burdensome regulation. :whistle:

d_f_a
-6th May 2010, 08:14
This age limit, which my fencers first spotted in the Sword Magazine and asked for further clarification from vthe BFA (which we got), will be very damaging to youngsters who were taking awards such as the piste assistant award with the hope of helping in some way.
I have a question; what about the athletics that will be taking part that are under 18, such as in Diving and Gymnastics? Surely they have to be banned too!
Also I will be very annoyed to see ball boys/girls at the tennis event that will be clearly under 18yrs.
Finally children must also be banned from taking part in the opening and closing ceremonies as they will be at the same risk as volunteers.
This is a stupid decision that only the UK would enforce, now I wish we hadnít won the bid.

Neil Brown
-6th May 2010, 10:51
twitter.com/britishfencing for the latest.

Calvin
-6th May 2010, 11:00
This age limit, which my fencers first spotted in the Sword Magazine and asked for further clarification from vthe BFA (which we got), will be very damaging to youngsters who were taking awards such as the piste assistant award with the hope of helping in some way.

I agree totally. It's very damaging across all sports and, as usual, it sends out a very dangerous message to our youth, saying "adult = bad".

I have a question; what about the athletics [athletes?] that will be taking part that are under 18, such as in Diving and Gymnastics? Surely they have to be banned too!

As you have spotted the decision to ban under-18 helpers is a piece of nonsense. It doesn't benefit the kids who would otherwise have helped, in fact overall it damages them, and it does nothing to protect the under-18 athletes. It's a reaction by the organisers without proper consideration of what they are trying to achieve. Very poor management but sadly seen all too often - go and look at most photographic policies.

As an aside, I was at a World Qualifier Duathlon event last Sunday where the marshals at the finish were mostly juniors. It's quite refreshing to see kids of 11 and 12 dealing with hypoxic world class athletes and preventing them leaving the finish corral until they had given up their timing chip.

Also I will be very annoyed to see ball boys/girls at the tennis event that will be clearly under 18yrs.
Finally children must also be banned from taking part in the opening and closing ceremonies as they will be at the same risk as volunteers.

I'm sure you will see ball-kids (official name now) as I know one who's on the selection programme. I've no doubt that you'll also see a couple of cute looking ones at the ceremonies. That's what happens when you get ill thought out decisions, some people will ignore them and others will argue a special case. Because the original decision has no substantial basis (ie. it's not actually done to protect children) it will get fudged.

d_f_a
-6th May 2010, 12:39
I think we all agree that the rule is nonsense.....so what can we do about it?

anothermum
-6th May 2010, 12:52
Set up a facebook page and get all the young people from all sports to petition their MPs (when we know who they are!!) and their NGBs to get the rule changed.
Sports all over the country would be severely affected without the help of young people ... my own children have helped out at pentathlon events, swimming events, Pony Club events etc etc

One assumes that every adult volunteer is going to be CRB checked because invariably there will be athletes under the age of 18 competing

Neil Brown
-6th May 2010, 13:00
It's already changed... read the info linked from the British Fencing twitter page

d_f_a
-6th May 2010, 14:07
Good stuff, should have gone to Neils link earlier.

d_f_a
-11th May 2010, 12:52
Any further developments?
All seems to have gone a bit quiet.
Is everyone going to be content with 16yrs being the minimum age or are any organisations going to contest this?