PDA

View Full Version : Nick Perry Makes A Grade Final

Keith.A.Smith
-18th January 2004, 16:06
Dear All,

Nick Perry has come 7th in Nimes at a Junior FIE World Cup event. David Buist was in the top16 and Tom Bennett made the top 32.

Congratulations to all three of them and their coaches. My thanks to Peter Barrett and Kate Smith for coaching and managing Junior Men's Epee this season.

Keith

PM1
-18th January 2004, 23:02
Well done that Nick, let alone Buist and Tom !!!!

ceprab
-19th January 2004, 11:08
This sort of thing makes me feel better about getting soundly thrashed by these people. :)

pinkelephant
-19th January 2004, 14:12
I'm told that Dave told the check-in desk that what was in the bags was clowns' equipment (to avoid the excess charge for sports equipment). When the check-in clerk queried the length of the bags Dave told them clowns had very long shoes. Has Dave embarked on a new career - or has he been clowning around all the time?

Well done Nick, Dave & Tom.

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 14:33
Originally posted by ceprab
This sort of thing makes me feel better about getting soundly thrashed by these people. :)

I hve beaten Nick in trning, albeit five years ago. Glad to see somebody go on so far.

pinkelephant
-19th January 2004, 14:38
Originally posted by Rdb811
I hve beaten Nick in trning, albeit five years ago. Glad to see somebody go on so far.

That would be when he was 14 then.

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 15:04
A bit older - I thought at the time he was older still - well regarded, then.

I didn't see him for a few years - the next time was when I read the 'Perry' across his back at eye level.

PM1
-19th January 2004, 18:40
I thought Buist was the official GBR mascot and Jester - he's always had the gift of the gab. And I BET they got away with not paying any excess - WE didn't run the risk when flying to Belgium, but then, the adults being lawyers, we have to set a good example, I surpose. And an expensive one.....

Dave's mum has always maintained that he's a gentleman, but I couldn't possibly post why...........!!!

Peanut_UK
-20th January 2004, 12:50
Originally posted by PM1
Dave's mum has always maintained that he's a gentleman, but I couldn't possibly post why...........!!!

Is it just me, or does that sound a little worrying..?

But congrats to the boys.

With the recent results we've had at the junior level, is this signalling an up-turn in British Fencing? Or are these sort of results normal for us?

Threestain
-20th January 2004, 13:29
Well done Nick, finally got the result he deserves. We have got a good crop of youngsters over the last couple of years, and lets hope he can manage to keep it rolling to the Worlds.

Also sports equipment is exempt of excess baggage in most cases.

Boo Boo
-20th January 2004, 13:34
Originally posted by Threestain
Also sports equipment is exempt of excess baggage in most cases.

Not with Ryanair though - think it is about 15/20 to carry "sports equipment" (including fencing bags). Haven't had problems with any other airlines, yet...

Great results - sounds like some just rewards for some very hard work :)

Boo

Rdb811
-20th January 2004, 14:40
Originally posted by Peanut_UK
Is it just me, or does that sound a little worrying..?

But congrats to the boys.

With the recent results we've had at the junior level, is this signalling an up-turn in British Fencing? Or are these sort of results normal for us?

Definately an upturn - especially n men's epee.

pinkelephant
-20th January 2004, 15:19
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Not with Ryanair though - think it is about 15/20 to carry "sports equipment" (including fencing bags). Haven't had problems with any other airlines, yet...

Great results - sounds like some just rewards for some very hard work :)

Boo

Yup - not only 15 EACH WAY, but they make you sign a waiver as well, so they are making you pay for the privilege of having no comeback whatsoever. Sounds like having your cake and eating it, or even an unfair conract term (legal eagles please advise).

pinkelephant
-20th January 2004, 15:22
So Dave Buist is now the Clown Prince of British Fencing.

Boo Boo
-20th January 2004, 15:33
Originally posted by pinkelephant
So Dave Buist is now the Clown Prince of British Fencing.

Is it always an epeeist?

Is it me, but are the ones with whcky senses of humour virtually always epeeists?

Boo

Rdb811
-20th January 2004, 15:36
Now you mention it ....

Where's Ramjam these days ?

PM1
-20th January 2004, 16:52
...no idea, RDB, but people often complain that epeeists are boring on piste, when they are only thinking up the next gag to play.......!!

15 each way on Ryanair for sports kit, even if you have no other bags. I hadn't seen the waiver form - PM2 booked this last trip and therefore did all the checking in. However, as her no.1 son has just broken his arm/hand/wrist playing rugby this week, don't think he'll be doing much of anything for a bit.......Will get to take a look and see what the Irish are trying to pull over our eyes on the waiver point - no offence, chaps..:grin:

And yes, Peanut, there ARE times when Buist is a little bit worrying.........:party:

MatFink
-22nd January 2004, 09:02
Well done Nick.

On the subject of airline charges, I remember Nick having to pay an excess for his kit in Trieste because it was heavier than on the way out. It was about 70 quid or something like that just to import his own sweat. Or as he put it sweat and skank.

Oh well, David would have had a more convincing arguement if he had Jonny W's old colour kit in the bag!!

TBennett
-4th February 2004, 19:45
yep, cheers for the congrats...makes it all worthwhile :grin:

nick hasn't bothered to claim off ryanair for the europeans yet coz he's lazy.

the top 8 who went to Nimes are now (un)officially the British Clown Team.

the clown shoes incident was quite funny - got off payin 30 tho. bloke at check-in was really uninterested. i still can't belive that he didn't say anything to the fact that half the people goin had FENCING written in big letters across the side of their bags.

dave and nick together is much more amusing tho....wat clowns.