PDA

View Full Version : very much a newbie

Moosey
-19th January 2004, 09:06
I am very much a newbie. I recently started fencing because my 10 year old son had and it looked fun. I love to fence but am totally rubbish!! I am sure those better than me groan to themselves when they have to fence me! Old(ish) dogs are definately hard to teach new tricks!
A question to experienced fencers - I only get to fence once a week for an hour, is joining a club a better bet and has anyone looked at the PC CD-ROMs from Leon Paul - I am looking for as many tips as possible!

srb
-19th January 2004, 09:14
If you haven't already try Bristol Fencing Club:

http://www.bristolfencingclub.com/

srb

Boo Boo
-19th January 2004, 09:47
Good grief, you aren't that old at all!!! (if you are old, then I am also pretty old - and I know that isn't true ;) )

If you are new, the best this is to get along to as many classes as you can and get/stay fit and flexible (less likely to get injured and fit enough to make the most of what training you can fit in).

Leon paul have a number of books, videos, etc that they sell through there website http://www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Books__Videos_and_CDs_57.html

Boo

The Little Un
-19th January 2004, 12:48
Dear Moosey,
Where do you get the idea that you are old or oldish. You are almost a year younger than my daughter. Before this season I had not fought any fencing since 1979, when i fought only Sabre. My first Tournament was the BUSA National Novice Foil, where I was ranked 9th. On the 3rd of December I was given half an hour instruction on Epee, fought in the Busa Senior Championships and came 50th in Epee and 34th in Foil.
Having not even picked up my Sabre in fighting or training since coming back to fencing, I fought in the South-East Regional and came 9th in Epee and 5th in Sabre, knocking out one of my University Team members in the process.

My next three Tournaments are; The Slough Open, The East of Ireland Championships and the Edinburgh Open.

The only problem that I have had so far is that idiot itroduced the crossing feet rule in Sabre.

I think that one hour a week is probably not enough, I train five hours a week and that should be more. Saying that, not all that training needs to be fencing, you should spend a number of hours a week with general fitness, personally I play cricket for my university (Indoors and Outdoors).

You need to fence better fencers than yourself to improve. Mind you I would not suggest that your first DE fight should be against somebody like Megan (The Goddess of Nottingham University) Schofield.

Just do your best, aim to score points, one point at a time, and see how well you can do. You do not need to be winning fights just yet, as long as you can come off the piste thinking you have done your best.

As I have had to scratch from a couple of upcoming foil competitions, I would doubt if I shall ever fight against you because I am limiting my fighting to Epee and Sabre in the future,

Best wishes,
Judy

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 13:23
You're the same age I was when I started - so I don't think theer's a problem. The rest of it is perseverence.

Moosey
-19th January 2004, 14:13
How encouraging you all are I am most chuffed to have had so many people post messages! I am so glad not be that old after all. Fantastic advise all round.
Judy - you are very encouraging and very impressive! I do spend a couple of hours a week in the gym so my fitness isn't too bad although I think I really do need to be more supple, I thought I might take up some yoga again as that is fantastic. My main problem is my lack of agression and confidence. I struggle to get hits in, I'm not too bad at defending myself although I do tend to jump onto other people's swords! I find it hard to find a spot where my oponent is open to being hit. I am trying to work on looking for what they are going to do next and then work out where I can get them! I know I am improving because I do hit some people who I never used to hit before! More time fighting I know is definately the answer because I find I am just warming up at the end of an hour and then it's all over.

If there are any wheelchair fencers out there I would be interested in hearing your stories, my son is a wheelchair user and would love to fence but his arms aren't that good either.

Boo Boo
-19th January 2004, 14:37
Try contacting the British wheelchair fencing association (http://www.britishwheelchairsports.org/associate/fencing.htm).

There are three classifications of wheelchair fencing - A, B & C. Fencers are classified according to their level of ability. A class fencers have full sitting balance, and many can still stand on their feet or walk. Those in the B class don't have full sitting balance but do have full use of their arms and hand, while C class fencers do not have full arm and/or hand activity. http://www.excaliburfencing.on.ca/wheelchair.html might provide interesting information/links.

It is worth looking into - although I don't know how many clubs support it. There are not an awful lot of wheelciar fencers in this country, but there are good opportunities for people within wheelchair fencing... (some members of the British team travel all over the world to go to different competitions).

I have had three wheelchair fencing fights - that was an experience: it was fun (although you can't run away, so that puts a new dimension on things...)

Hope this helps :)
Boo

Rdb811
-19th January 2004, 14:58
My original coach did a lot f work ith wheelchair fencing (Barcalona Paralympics) - one of his techniques with beginners is to have thenm fence for an evening whilst seated to encourage point control.

For a whie we ha two stalwarts out injured (non fencing0 who did a lot of work seated - in the end we started a seated competition at the club - well recomended.

Moosey
-19th January 2004, 15:42
Fantastic to hear more about the wheelchair options, I shall look into it further even if he was able to watch some on the net it would be nice for him to see. I have to try and teach him that there options and that he can lead a fulfilled life even if it is different and not as straight forward as many peoples!

Musketeer
-20th January 2004, 00:47
Old? I started fencing at 44 years old about 21 months ago. You're just a kid! ;)

Moosey
-20th January 2004, 09:36
It seems to be that quite a lot of people are taking up fencing 'post school' age shall we say! I feel old because my 10 year old retains all the info and teaching much better than I do!

stevejackson
-20th January 2004, 21:32
Moosey, If you're serrious about wheel chair fencing in the South West get someone from Bristol to put you in touch with Norman Golding. As I recall he coached Mike Hanney to a gold medal at the Korean Paralympic games (1988?) he may still have links with wheelchair fencing.