PDA

View Full Version : Cotton vs Poly Uniforms

spardacus
-20th January 2004, 19:22
Greetings ...

I would like to pose a question regarding Poly vs Cotton uniforms. I have always hated poly shirts, and wear nothing but cotton shirts because they are cooler.

I can see that the stretch factor would be great for the athleticism in fencing, but how warm is the poly jacket going to be?

How durable is the poly with respect to rips, runs and pulls in the fabric. With the plastron and lame, does the poly jacket offer adequate impact protection?

Finally, I am a male fencer at 5'11" and 175 pounds. What manufacturer would be best for a medium build such as mine?

Many thanks ...
I am spardacus

uk_45
-20th January 2004, 21:12
Id say the only important thing is how good strength they are and the wicking both of which cotton is best for. I think cotton is best all around!!

As for a manufactor for you i'd have to say look on the web sites.

devalleassoc
-20th January 2004, 21:16
My experience with sythetics is through my running, as ALL new running clothing is made from "hi - tech" fibers that are VASTLY superior to cotton. (Cotton holds in moisture like a sponge!!) Sythetics that stretch are great. The BIG issue is that they be lined with a "hydrophobic" liner.(Transpor, Thin tech, CoolMax etc.) This material will draw the perspiration away from the skin to the outer layer, allowing it to evaporate, therby keeping you warm in cool conditions and cool in warm ones. (Also there's no clammy feeling!) As far as which manufacturer is best, I cannot truthfully say. I know L.P. offers Transpor, and Duellist boasts a hydrophobic liner as well, although I do not think they mention whose it is. Perhaps someone else on the forum can give us some recommendations. :sam:

devalleassoc
-21st January 2004, 00:49
I forgot to mention that as far as durability/puncture resistance, goes, we are speaking about fencing equipment here. So I am sure that the material used will withstand whatever the rating is, be it 350N or 800N. :)

The Little Un
-21st January 2004, 02:57
I would say that the best you can get is probably a synthetic mixture with Kevlar in it, feels great when you are wearing it also. Not forgetting that all motorcycle racing suits these days are made of kevlar............Hhhhmmm, When does the speedway season start.

Best wishes,
Judy

devalleassoc
-21st January 2004, 03:19
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Little Un
[B]I would say that the best you can get is probably a synthetic mixture with Kevlar in it, feels great when you are wearing it also.

Sounds interesting, would you know who makes such a suit?????

Rafi

rory
-21st January 2004, 08:19
No-one makes kit with Kevlar in it any more. Kevlar's out of date - it degrades in UV light (sunlight) and you can't wash it with normal washing powder.

You will hear 800N jackets generally referred to as "kevlar", but they're not.
What you're looking for is an 800N jacket.

devalleassoc
-21st January 2004, 12:43
Thank you!!

Insipiens
-23rd January 2004, 11:45
Originally posted by rory
No-one makes kit with Kevlar in it any more. Kevlar's out of date - it degrades in UV light (sunlight) and you can't wash it with normal washing powder.

You will hear 800N jackets generally referred to as "kevlar", but they're not.
What you're looking for is an 800N jacket.

Does this mean that my Kevlar jacket, certified FIE approved (1994 ish) 800 Newton is no longer acceptable at tournaments?

(It spent most of the years in between far away from direct sunlight).

The Little Un
-23rd January 2004, 18:08
Why does kevlar not deteriorate when used by Motorcyclists?.

Best wishes,
Judy

sparkymark567
-28th January 2004, 18:29
Kevlar (polyester or what ever they use) is much better in my opinion. Only beacause it dries much quicker. Cotton takes ages to dry, so don't even bother.

slimrbp
-17th February 2004, 14:19
I have a Duellist jacket not sure what the wicking liner is made of. All I can say is it does work, the Jacket never feels clammy and also seems to dry pretty quickly.

devalleassoc
-17th February 2004, 18:21
How do the Duellist uniforms fit?? I tend to prefer a slimmer fit, myself.

wingnutLP
-17th February 2004, 18:31
Originally posted by The Little Un
Why does kevlar not deteriorate when used by Motorcyclists?.

Best wishes,
Judy

It could be that kevlar is also be associated with biking for the same reason it is with fencing. Alternatively it may be that the kevlar is covered with an outer layer (speed of deceleration if you do come off your bike is critical. If the material is too sticky it makes you roll and if it is too slippy you skid untill you hit something!). Finnaly it may be that the material has been improved since the days it was used in fencing.

The specific requirements of a fabric for fencing are quite different from those of practically any other sport and the demand is very low which is why the FIE level clothing is so relatively expensive.