PDA

View Full Version : Coupe du Nord

UglyBug
-21st January 2004, 14:31
Sorry moderators if this should be TOurnaments, but as it's sabre only I've posted here.

Are many people planning to do any of the overseas Coupe du Nords left this season - Orebro, Helsinki or Reykjavik?

Rdb811
-21st January 2004, 15:00
the CdN now includes epe and foil events.

UglyBug
-21st January 2004, 15:15
Sorry. I didn't realise all of them had foil and epee in this season. Anyway, who is planning on doing the sabre ones?

NLSC Sabreur
-21st January 2004, 15:26
Originally posted by Rdb811
the CdN now includes epe and foil events.

note to srb - Orebro, Helsinki, and Reykjavik are Sabre only. UglyBug is quite correct.

I am planning to go with 3-5 other people to those (might only go to 2 of the 3). Die hard travellers like Tigger (with his Cornish posse) or Moby are likely to be seen. One warning the standard in the women's events overseas is generally poor so don't go expecting many ranking points or much good fencing there.

Orebro last year from the UK, 4 men, 1 woman. Helsinki 9 men, 1 woman. I expect Helsinki like numbers at both this year. Reykjavik I don't know.

UglyBug
-21st January 2004, 15:46
The women is very up and down. Amsterdam - loads of points to be had (well for a C du N) Copenhagen - sweet you know what. It is good practice though for coping with different styles. I think British sabreurs get lulled into this habit of learning how to fence certain fencers because we all meet each other so often. And it's a good laugh.

randomsabreur
-21st January 2004, 16:56
Coupes are a good laugh, but, it is unlikely that women in the top 20 will pick up enough domestic points to count the competition. Size and NIF is fairly similar to a middling sized open at best and will often be made up of fellow brits.

For all this I am quite upset as all the coupes I wanted to do this year are inconveniently placed right on top of exams!

Oh well there's always next year

UglyBug
-22nd January 2004, 15:13
There were quite a few brits at Amsterdam and in the WS I think a couple of them put each other out. Long way to go to lose to a fellow Brit, especially as I think one pair were clubmates!

randomsabreur
-22nd January 2004, 16:39
The first time I did a senior A-grade, back in 99, I ended up going out to Car Stevenson, and I managed to go out to Louise B-W twice in Junior A-Grades.

The Louise ones were particularly annoying as I had just lost to her in 3 domestics in a row!

So, fencing abroad is no guarantee of fencing new and interesting people, Murphys Law means that you are more likely to lose to a fellow Brit the further you've travelled and the more you've paid for the privilege!

whizzkid1982
-22nd January 2004, 18:20
i shall definately be doing rekjavyik. other than that, helsinki is right in the middle of my exams and orebro is in the middle of nowhere.

doobarz
-22nd January 2004, 21:00
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
and orebro is in the middle of nowhere.

But last year had max NIF of 60....

Keith.A.Smith
-22nd January 2004, 21:00
Dear All,

I do hope you will all support our domestic Coupe events at sabre and indeed at epee and foil.

Keith

Marcos
-23rd January 2004, 09:38
always the way - fly over to do Essex and Slough last year - get put in the same poule as hokers (old friend) - do Hamlet and get knocked out by Nick Rumney (Irish fencer)

but that's life....!

UglyBug
-23rd January 2004, 12:41
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
orebro is in the middle of nowhere.

I did wonder where it was. My vast knowledge of Swedish geography was knocked out when I was dropped on my head as a child. Is it a place you can fly to, or is it a plane to Stockholm and train jobby?

PS - Marcos, if that is your recent run of luck, could we make sure we're not on the same aeroplane flight any time soon?

whizzkid1982
-27th January 2004, 08:15
Originally posted by Keith.A.Smith
Dear All,

I do hope you will all support our domestic Coupe events at sabre and indeed at epee and foil.

Keith

of course i will be at both the domestic coupes (have arranged going on hols with partents round the cole!). i took them as given since they are easy to get to! if you are making the effort to go abroad then the domestic coupes are required.

Moby
-27th January 2004, 17:17
Won't actually be at Orebro this year... it's looking less likely now anyway... shame, I liked having a WC point...

randomsabreur
-28th January 2004, 12:04
Was hoping to get up to Edinburgh this year, but its the day before the bad exam week, so will have to give that a miss. Hopefully the Cole will be doable, but it lands on top of the other big lot of exams, so I might have to bring some work with me and skip the drinking on the Saturday night!

Rhubarb
-29th January 2004, 09:30
Orebro is a charming Swedish town about 200k north of Copenhagen. The easiest access is to fly to Copenhagen and take a Swedish commuter airlines flight straight there. The local fencers are very friendly and helpful and an 'e' mail to the organisers would assure you you of a warm welcome(unless your name is Hoenigmann!!)

Moby
-29th January 2004, 20:25
I'd definitely agree. Orebro is a lovely town. The fencers are really welcoming and will really look after you. If you are going prepare to have a great time. Last year we had a banquet in the castle on the Saturday night. It was really great

Moby
-29th January 2004, 20:34
I'd definitely agree. Orebro is a lovely town. The fencers are really welcoming and will really look after you. If you are going, prepare to have a great time. Last year we had a banquet in the castle on the Saturday night. It was really great food and company. Especially cool as the finals are generally held in the castle too there. The Helsinki Coupe has the entire competition in a castle too.

Wish the British coupes would do something similar - a meal for everyone on the Saturday night that is organised beforehand rather than kind of wondering if something is happening till the end of the competition on the Saturday.

UglyBug
-23rd February 2004, 08:51
Looks like none of the Brits went in the end. Follow this link for results

http://www.fencing.se/tavling/readone.php?id=1582

Marcos
-23rd February 2004, 09:16
that would be the same Teun Plantinga who will be defending his East of Ireland Open title next week...hmmm...better get some practice in.

tigger
-23rd February 2004, 13:06
Hmmm - looks pretty weak to me. Free world cup points would have been the only good reason for going to that 1 from Cornwall!

As usual I (and the Cornish Posse) will do Copenhagen and Amsterdam. Not sure about the others - I would dearly love to do Reykjavik, but it clashes with the New York A grade, and my fave Edinburgh night out clashes with the Athens A Grade. It's going to be an expensive year too, with or without Specsavers!

whizzkid1982
-23rd February 2004, 20:15
well aren't you feeling all big and famous now!!!! will we be blessed with your pressence at brum??? and how bout the cole?

Dalton
-23rd February 2004, 20:24
Yes, Írebro was weak this year. But I must say that the Swedes have actually improved a bit, especially in refereeing departement. And I saw a danish team fence outside Denmark first time this millennium.

Tigger, I did not see you mention Helsinki at all, so I take it that means you and your posse are coming, right?

Moby
-23rd February 2004, 21:12
I'll be there... had a good time last year. And the competition was great too! See you there Dalton.

tigger
-23rd February 2004, 21:14
Quote - whizzkid1982 - well aren't you feeling all big and famous now!!!! will we be blessed with your pressence at brum??? and how bout the cole?

Well I might just deign to grace Brum with my exalted presence, and the Cole Cup organisers will also be relieved to hear that I'm considering making a cameo appearance there. And I've always been big and famous, it's just that no-one noticed before...

But seriously, looking at those results the NIF was probably not even 30.

Quote - Dalton - Tigger, I did not see you mention Helsinki at all, so I take it that means you and your posse are coming, right?

Not sure yet my friend. Although I'd love to.

Rdb811
-23rd February 2004, 23:33
Originally posted by Dalton
Y And I saw a danish team fence outside Denmark first time this millennium.

There were some at Slough (WS).

Marcos
-24th February 2004, 08:53
Originally posted by Rdb811
There were some at Slough (WS).

and WF....one was an absolute stunner....the fact she was warming-up next to my piste is what I blame for losing to Steve Potter in the poule...
(hmm, don't tell Joanne, hokers) :chair:

Moby
-24th February 2004, 11:10
The lovely Danish ladies in Copenhagen alone are good enough reason to make it a pemanent fixture on my season!

tigger
-24th February 2004, 13:18
Have just checked, and tragically Helsinki clashes with the Nancy A grade :(

I second Moby's opinion on Copenhagen. Well spent money (on the flight and hotel I mean:grin: )

UglyBug
-25th February 2004, 20:16
Originally posted by Dalton
Yes, Írebro was weak this year.

WS was weakest entry I've seen this season for a coupe - they've been well supported this year. Although if I remember rightly, Santaholma's pretty handy but haven't seen her in ages

Moby
-25th February 2004, 21:41
Yes, she is. Though she (Miss Santaholma) was injured for a while. So I guess we'll see more of her from now on.