View Full Version : Updates to the Rules

kingkenny
-22nd January 2004, 14:39
See the new Penalty sheet at:

http://www.leonpaul.com/download/armoury.htm

:)

The Little Un
-22nd January 2004, 18:52
Can anybody actually define: Deliberate Brutality?
I actually got 15 bruises from one fight alone A Foil fight at that): However I would never have said that my opponent is or was being deliberately brutal.

Best wishes,
Judy

Hudson
-23rd January 2004, 09:04
Originally posted by The Little Un
Can anybody actually define: Deliberate Brutality?
I actually got 15 bruises from one fight alone A Foil fight at that): However I would never have said that my opponent is or was being deliberately brutal.

Best wishes,
Judy

I once broke a guys rib in an epee match but i wouldn't say it was brutal.
Alot of rule seem to leave alot to the individual ref own interpritation of the rules.

plewis66
-23rd January 2004, 12:07
Defnitions from dictionary.com:

deliberate:
1 Done with or marked by full consciousness of the nature and effects;
2 intentional;
3 Arising from or marked by careful consideration;
4 Unhurried in action, movement, or manner.

brutal:
1 Extremely ruthless or cruel.
2 Crude or unfeeling in manner or speech.
3 Harsh; unrelenting
4 Disagreeably precise or penetrating

My personal opinion (and it may be wrong, or you may disagree), considering these definitions, is that beaking someones rib with an epee is, in perhaps, a little brutal.

However, and this is the important point, I am utterly certain that in Hudsons case, it was not deliberate.

As in all things, I guess refereeing this point is difficult. If, as a ref, you see animosity building between the players, then one of them swipes the other a good un, shouting 'Have that you bounder!', then that could be considered brutal and deliberate.

chortler
-23rd January 2004, 12:41
Originally posted by plewis66
'Have that you bounder!'

If that was the case, Woundn't you then take off your glove and slap your opponents face with it, rather than being brutal with your sword?

DrT
-23rd January 2004, 13:34
Perhaps all fencers should be required to bring a glass of sherry to the piste in order to dash it in the face of the other fencer in the event of a dispute over ROW?

Hudson
-23rd January 2004, 18:23
it would have to be a pint of stout or real ale for sabruers :tongue: