PDA

View Full Version : newbie old and not fit!

tracey may
-22nd January 2004, 22:11
Hi
I am new at this fencing lark but I think it is really great. You are never too old to start a something new, if you believe you can do it, you CAN do it, that,s my philosophy anyway.:)
Its nice to have a place to chat about it, most people i've spoken too tell me they have a broken fence panel!
I am an old (37) woman and am certainly not fit, YET. Fencing is my kind of sport, it is all down to you, your body and your concentration. I like it so much I have even started dreaming about it!
Look forward to lots of chatting.

tracey

The Little Un
-23rd January 2004, 02:40
Welcome Tracey,
I have come back to fencing this season after a break of 24yrs, I am now 48. If you live near and you have the time, you would find it helpful to join a gym to get your general fitness better.

I think that fencing is great, so I would just say, enjoy what you are doing and relax.

Best wishes,
Judy

Katman
-23rd January 2004, 04:22
Yah, I dream about fencing sometimes too. Whoooowhee. :D

plewis66
-23rd January 2004, 12:09
Blimey Tracey, less of the old, please!

I'm 37, too, but I'm dead young. Barely out of my teens, in fact!

The Little Un
-23rd January 2004, 18:01
Well actually I am still in full-time education so I must be young, only 48 actually.

Best wishes,
Judy

Musketeer
-24th January 2004, 01:31
Welcome! You're right, you're never too old to start. My wife got me my first fencing lessons as my 44th birthday present, and I've been having a lot of fun with it ever since. :)

devalleassoc
-27th January 2004, 04:17
Age!!??? Age is just a state of mind. Body, no problem, just keep moving!! (If it's been a while, GET STARTED!!)I started fencing in H.S., took a break for 8 years, which I competed in track and field (220M & 400M.) and am now fencing again, training with the former national coach of Belorussia!! (Eduard Elterman) at the N.Y. Fencer's Club. I can't wait to get my timing back, so I can compete with the youngsters!! (Also, all my friends range in age from 25yrs.-38yrs.) I look easily12 years younger than I am, (so I'm told) and mentally, I'm still 20!! What's my point..... JUST DO IT!!: CHEERS!! sam:

P.S. I just turned 49 Jan. 5Th.!!

Seabird
-4th February 2004, 12:06
Old?????!!

You're a Spring Chicken!

I started fencing in the Army (Army Physical Training Corps in 1960 - all three weapons.

Had to retire from the sport in 1985 due to severe arthritis in both hips - sign of a mis-spent youth :)

Had both hips replaced 14 weeks ago and have returned to the sport - waiting impatiently for my kit to arrive.

The only time it'll be too late is when you've been boxed and despatched!

plewis66
-4th February 2004, 13:13
Originally posted by Seabird
Old?????!!

You're a Spring Chicken!

I started fencing in the Army (Army Physical Training Corps in 1960 - all three weapons.

Had to retire from the sport in 1985 due to severe arthritis in both hips - sign of a mis-spent youth :)

Had both hips replaced 14 weeks ago and have returned to the sport - waiting impatiently for my kit to arrive.

Superb! Welcome back to fencing!

John Cartwright
-5th February 2004, 11:07
Whattho you young people!!!:)
What goes around comes around.....I'm almost 54, used to fence at Worcester in the 70/80's.....now my 4 children want to start. Got my old kit out after 15 years or so (good grief it still fits!!:eek: ) to show them, thought to meself 'my god, I miss this' so I'm going to have another go.......The prof. that taught me back in '76 is still teaching and don't look a day older.

Marcos
-5th February 2004, 11:30
I wonder what it is that is so addictive

Having not fenced in 6 or 7 years, I felt the itch to go back. I started walking down the corridor at work making parry ripostes in my minds eye, feint to flank hit to head, etc.

is it the zone you are in when it is you, your opponent, and nothing else in the world exists, the exhiliration when a move you have practiced for hours gets you the winning hit in a bout (I still remember as clear as day a derobement I made in the Public Schools L16 11 years ago!)

but my heavens it's good

devalleassoc
-5th February 2004, 23:35
It's the adrenaline rush for me!!