PDA

View Full Version : BYCs - Help, missing bag!

Boo Boo
-26th January 2004, 11:10
Ok, this is an incredible long shot, but.... did anybody see an abondoned bag (description below) at the BYC venue or North Staffordshire Hotel (most likely place that it was lost)?

My husband and I were refereeing at the BYCs this past weekend. We stayed at the North Staffordshire Hotel on the Friday and Saturday nights. At some point between leaving our room in the hotel (at 9am Sunday morning) and leaving the venue that evening (at about 6pm), we lost a bag.

My husband swears blind that it wasn't taken out of the car at the venue (although he is checking into that anyway). The hotel manager has checked the hotel and the car park, however they cannot find it.

The real downer to this whole thing is that - in addition to some shoes, clothes and ALL of my toiletries - in the bag was my husband's PDA and satellite navigation system attachment. The data has been backed-up, but the value of the contents of the bag would have been over 800... eeekkk!

Isn't it fortunate that I told him to take his jeans out of that bag and put them in another one (his wallet was in a pocket in his jeans...)?

How, did we manage to loose it...? :(

So if anybody saw a black bag (about smallish rack sack size) with wheels at the bottom and an extending handle at the top, please let me know.

Boo
(pursuing her home insurance provider now...)

Australian
-26th January 2004, 15:57
certainly nothing in the lobby of the hotel, and nothing when we left the venue, n we were the last to leave, with the hall being empty

Boo Boo
-26th January 2004, 16:14
Thanks, that's what I thought.... (it must have grown legs and walked... :( ).

Still it was worth a try :)

Did you walk to the venue or get a lift? If you got a lift, was the car around the side/back of the hotel? If it was, I assume that you didn't nottice anything odd (like a bag standing around)? I know, I know... VERY wierd question (and you probably would have said), but worth trying... :)

Boo
(probably has the record for "most expensive trip to BYCs"...)

Australian
-26th January 2004, 18:22
got a lift, and the car was around the back of the venue... certainly didn't see a bag :(

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 15:23
... bag has been found, by a Catholic Priest in Stoke-on-Trent (not far from the hotel).

The bag and my toiletries have been damaged beyond any use, but the PDA was still there and in tact (which is how the father traced us)!

The embarrassing thing is that, as far as I can work out, the bag was "lost" during our rush to get to the venue on Sunday: pressumably it didn't get into the car, ChubbyHubby ran over the bag and dragged it for a short distance behind the car...

So it has worked out an expensive weekend: contants of bag being couriered home (destroyed contents replaced) and a hefty donation to the father's church (obviously volunteered - our bag was not ransomed by the Catholic priest... ;) ) .

Still, lesson learned... (more haste, less speed - even on freezing mornings when you have to be somewhere to ref a poule of U12 girls...)

Boo

Tubby
-28th January 2004, 15:46
Glad to hear this has been resolved even though your toiletries turned out not to be rear wheel proof.

Easily done, I've come across a few people who have backed over their laptops that I'm starting to wonder if they actually did the work and the laptop accident wasn't an accident at all. Hmmmm.......

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 15:50
...hopefully it is not one of those mistakes that is easily repeated... :(

Still, what amazes me is that the PDA wasn't crushed, despite most of the rest being written-off...

Boo
(still feeling pretty silly...)

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 16:01
Perhaps by PDA you mean:

Tablet of stone and a chisel?? :) hence the durability?

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 16:03
Originally posted by Prometheus
Tablet of stone and a chisel?? :) hence the durability?

Showing your age again?

(in case srb isn't around to say it ;) )

Tubby
-28th January 2004, 16:04
Lesson 1. always back up the pda
Lesson 2. there are still catholic priests that can be trusted.
Lesson 3. ensure driver is medically fit to drive as how could you run over a bag from a dead stop without feeling it or hearing it.

By the way, does Chubbyhubby have family links to Jamaica?

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 16:25
PDA was backed up :). Unfortunately ChubbyHubby has already ordered another one, so either they will take it back (too late to cancel) or I can guess what I am getting for a birthday present...

It was a very icey morning and "wheel spin"/scraping was not a total surprise - oh if I could have had hindesight....

No family links in Jamaica, unfortunately (sounds like a nice place to have relatives to visit! :) ) - at least none that I know off (big family). Still, some family living in Southern California - which is also a nice place to spend a week or two each Xmas... :)

Boo

Tubby
-28th January 2004, 16:42
I presume the PDA has been ordered off t'net. If so you're normally able to easily cancel unless its in transit, and even if it is you're still able to cancel but with more hassle. It doesn't hurt to try.

Someone had pointed out a couple of similarities between Chubby and Tubby (you are LC and he DC aren't you?) hence the Jamaica thing question.

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 17:07
Because the PDA was ordered in a rush - due to being required for work - so is, I believe, already in transit... rapid delivery useful, ACCEPT when you want to cancel.

Will PM you on the other bit... :)

Boo

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:11
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Showing your age again?

(in case srb isn't around to say it ;) )

Having been at school with Moses I could have arranged a miracle thingy that would have turned it back into a PDA! Or at least a parchment and quill :)

But, I'm not surprised if you didn't rely on an old titan like me especially after almost booking our top talent into a hotel in the dubious part of Copenhagen. Whoops, have I said too much :confused:

Snigger.

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:13
Doh...I know I'm going to regret that last post.:confused:

Them God thingy people - moderators, that's it! - will be after me :(

Soto voce: I'll keep m'head down at the Slough.....and watch out for bearded Scots muttering about rocks and livers and so on!........shhhh

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 20:18
Originally posted by Prometheus
But, I'm not surprised if you didn't rely on an old titan like me especially after almost booking our top talent into a hotel in the dubious part of Copenhagen.

Who? ChubbyHubby? :tongue:

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:19
oh, and him too!:moon:

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:20
Isn't he in.......hmmm.......... Jamaica?

Lai ho ma.

Boo Boo
-28th January 2004, 20:31
Wish I was in Jamaica....bbrrrrrrr!

Frozen Boo

Prometheus
-28th January 2004, 20:51
ChubbyHubby not been paying the heating bills again eh!

Haggis won't want to stay there then....oh, hang on....he's probably used to the cold being from "oop Scaatland wey".... snigger.

Rdb811
-28th January 2004, 23:39
That's nothings - it's just taken me two and a half hours to get home from Wimbledon (should take 45 mins)

Exgeordielass
-29th January 2004, 04:18
Originally posted by Boo Boo
... bag has been found, by a Catholic Priest in Stoke-on-Trent (not far from the hotel).

The embarrassing thing is that, as far as I can work out, the bag was "lost" during our rush to get to the venue on Sunday: pressumably it didn't get into the car, ChubbyHubby ran over the bag and dragged it for a short distance behind the car...

So it has worked out an expensive weekend: contants of bag being couriered home (destroyed contents replaced) and a hefty donation to the father's church (obviously volunteered - our bag was not ransomed by the Catholic priest... ;) ) .

Boo

Glad you found your bag - this brings back all too painful memories of the South East Sabre where I managed to run over our digital camera on leaving competition. Only found out the next day and the camera was returned by the University as they put it 'smashed to smithereeens'.

Boo Boo
-29th January 2004, 09:29
Oh dear... :( (digital camera - ouch!)

Glad to know what we did isn't unique...

I am normally VERY careful.... makes me think that I should wait another 10 or 20 years before having kids (i.e. I might be resooinsible enough then...)

Boo

Prometheus
-29th January 2004, 09:41
Went fencing and put kit in car (Volvo Estate - gulp).

Ignition - reverse - bump - hadn't put kit in car at all!

Managed to bend the mask back into shape eventually (sort of) - strange, it fitted my misshapen head much better afterwards :)

pinkelephant
-1st February 2004, 10:35
You're not the only ones, Boo. I left my handbag on a bench in the car park at the Hamlet sabre. Not only did someone find it and take it in to the organisers, it got brought to me at Essex the next fday. Fencers (and Catholic priests) are wonderful people.