PDA

View Full Version : protection

mayoM
-29th January 2004, 01:21
Is a white "jacket" (not sure of their formal names) really enough to protect you?

I know the Sabres are blunt, but OUCH! they hurt!

uk_45
-29th January 2004, 07:04
From most hits but a psatron, a form of strong vesty thing, is advised as well. But yes it can hurt.

doobarz
-29th January 2004, 07:10
It hurts more if your opponent doesn't know/ hasn't been coached to hit properly.

hokers
-29th January 2004, 09:18
I only usually get hurt around the knuckles at sabre so I would suggest a good padded glove. Occasionally you get hit on the "funny bone" at the elbow or on the point of the collar bone, and that can sting a little.... Some people suggest an elbow pad.

edit for typo

bucket
-29th January 2004, 11:31
find carrying an extra couple of stones worth of blubber around usually means it doesn't hurt much.

failing that thick jacket (800N). plastron, chest protector, copy of thick football magazine stuffed in plastron (did it at a comp, worked well) suffices.

for the sore knuckles painting glove in white emulsion on the back and knuckles protect from any blows. hardens it to a hard thing.

MrWizard
-29th January 2004, 18:24
You could get a full body quilted plastron. My foil plastron is great for point hits, but not so good for sabre (plus the fact it's only a half plastron, i.e. sword arm only).

Jamie

ceprab
-2nd February 2004, 11:22
Injuries from fencing in general usually say more about the low quality of your opponent's hits than the protection you have.

You don't get to feel a really good person hit you most of the time (with electrics, anyway)

randomsabreur
-2nd February 2004, 16:12
More likely injuries from fencing are muscular injuries from poor warm up procedure and impact related injuries from constant poor technique. Much more common than sword related injuries.

Jumpit
-2nd February 2004, 20:19
It's been my experience that jackets aren't designed to keep a sabre slap from hurting, or an epee hit from bruising, but rather to keep a broken blade from piercing your body.

The best way to keep a sabre slap from hurting is to foster general awareness among your friends that hard sabre hits are the mark of a poor sabreur.

The actual sabre hit, properly executed, is a tap, not a slap. This is done by a clenching of the hand at the moment of the hit- with little or no wrist, arm movement. The arm movement is all moving the blade into position... it's the clenching of the hand that executes the final hit.

At least... that's how I was taught.

uk_45
-3rd February 2004, 10:07
Yeah the main aim of a jacket is to stop a broken blade from penertrating. The best way to stop it hurting is good parries!

ceprab
-3rd February 2004, 11:08
Originally posted by uk_45
Yeah the main aim of a jacket is to stop a broken blade from penertrating. The best way to stop it hurting is good parries!

Or ask your opponent not to hit so hard.

I've seen two ways of doing this - verbal, and reciprocation. The latter tends to lead to muticoloured sabreurs (once the bruises have time to develop)

uk_45
-3rd February 2004, 11:24
Yeah i also think it is a good plan to make sure you are not hitting hard your self. Make sure you a olny hitting using the fingers and not the wrist.

randomsabreur
-4th February 2004, 15:18
even better way to avoid pain at sabre is make the hard hitter miss, then hit them gently on the head while they try to recover from the over lunge and the big swing of the sabre. Always the best way to avoid pain, make sure they don't actually hit you

uk_45
-4th February 2004, 15:21
Yep but when parrying a hard hit make sure your grip is right otherwise its one sure thumb! good technique should stop pain!

randomsabreur
-4th February 2004, 17:06
better still, given a general tendency towards incompetence, don't parry, make them fall short, If you get it right, no pain, if you get it wrong, you don't hurt your fingers so impeding future progress in the competition. There have been fights in the past where I have passed up on opportunities to hit with priority to wait for one where there was not going to be a painful, and out of time counter attack. Usually when I feel the need to attempt this, the opponent does not get a light up, my self preservation insticts are very strong, and I need my fingers for uni on Monday.

mayoM
-4th February 2004, 19:51
Yeah, I dont mind getting hit on the mask, but anywhere else hurts. I sometimes get hit right on the arm! ( dont know how that happens, but I though it was difficult to parry)