PDA

View Full Version : Jackets and regulations

BostonFencer
-29th January 2004, 10:52
I'm relatively new to the sport and I'm looking to purchase my own equipment. The stuff at the club, as I'm sure most of you can relate too, has seen it's better days and in most cases still damp from the person(s) before you. One of the jackets that I like is a button down "Santelli" jacket. I like the idea of a button down jacket, more traditional I suppose and Santelli seems to be the only place I can find one. I was just wondering if they meet regulations. I know for practice they should be no problem but for competitions I'm not sure. I looked in the USFA rules and it simply mentions jackets have to be completely zipped or buttoned up.

I'm also purchasing the remainder of my equipment from "Leon Paul". They advised me that they don't carry button down because they do not meet regulations in the UK and he doubted if it would in the US. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any insight into the vendors I've chosen , that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

bucket
-29th January 2004, 11:37
got my starter stuff from Santelli when stuck in NJ.

mask- absolute rubbish- bib kept seperating and the mesh dented like chicken wire (probably was chicken wire)

the jacket - didn't meet the regulations for a college competition (16 oz jacket), and the buttons got knocked off anyway.

The bag and glove still are OK, three years later.

hope this helps.

Rdb811
-29th January 2004, 12:06
Buy a jacket with a front zip - otherwise you'll always be asking people to unzip you - and you'll look like a beginner.