PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Kit

devalleassoc
-2nd February 2004, 01:11
Okay, after a brief hiatus from fencing, I'm back in condition, and am ready to purchase a new FIE rated uniform. My needs are 1) That it allow me to move with total freedom.
2) That it have a very snug fit.
3) It should be comfortable, that is, it should have some form of hydrphobic lining.
The mask should be equally comfy and light.
The Lame' should be light and durable.

Okay guys, put together the ultimate FOIL fencing kit, using the above criteria with no regard as to cost!:sam:

bucket
-4th February 2004, 10:48
Ok,

Mask Leon paul 1600N- with it's extra thingy (X-change ?). And a cool paint job.

Jacket- 800N Allstar one with the breathing panels- Athen (if only they had one in my size....)

Plastron -PBT- comfortable as a comfortable thing.

Breeches- can't complain about the LP ones I wear (800N) - fits in all the right places (waist) but can move in mine without tearing it (someone in club split their's lunging)

Lame- TCA lightweight- like it's coated with teflon. Hits just brush off it.

Socks- the brighter the better (or is that just me ... ?)

Shoes- Adidas Asymmetrics. 'nuff said.

Bucket ( now thinking of robbing bank)

Marcos
-4th February 2004, 10:55
Agree with above, but would say

not LP breeches which I find restrictive around the nether regions

but would say get LP light-weight lame which is awesome

in terms of weapons - depends on your style of fencing - Duellist maraging foil is excellent if you love point control, strong parries, etc.

if you are a flicky fencer, no idea, but my LP budget maraging does the business

(I alternmate between the two depending on the opponent)

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 11:27
I currently use the Allstar Startex (FIE super light, super thin, super expensive) jacket and breeches for competitions. Very comfortable!

I hear that LP do an equivalent, but with some wicking lining. Haven't tried it, but sounds interesting...

Given a choice and limitless funds (and despite current "adevrtising" warnings) , I would love the Addidas jacket and Breeches (I assume they are made of Startex too).

I use a normal Allstar foil lame (which is ok), but would be intrigued to buy one of the LP light weight lames: have heard good things about them. However, I think the colour is horrible (grubby, sandy brown) - any chance of doing some different colours Barry? I know, I know, I am very shallow...

Boo

Gav
-4th February 2004, 11:45
Startex!

I think you might get paid too much Boo.

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 11:57
But it is soooo nice... :)

devalleassoc
-4th February 2004, 12:22
Great input!! I've heard about the "nether region" issue with LP breeches. Now about this "rob the bank" part..............:grin:

Aoife
-15th February 2004, 19:00
but would be intrigued to buy one of the LP light weight lames: have heard good things about them. However, I think the colour is horrible (grubby, sandy brown)

I currently use a TCA Ultralight lame that I bought from GoFence, which I think is also the 'grubby' colour Boo seems to dislike (is it Boo? See the attachment).

At the moment I'm quite interested in the 'Tournois Inox Super Nickel Electric Foil Jacket' (availible from the same supplier) because, well, it just looks funky, and I'd like to try a metalic lame.

Aoife
-15th February 2004, 19:03
but would be intrigued to buy one of the LP light weight lames: have heard good things about them. However, I think the colour is horrible (grubby, sandy brown)

I currently use a TCA Ultralight lame that I bought from GoFence, which I think is also the 'grubby' colour Boo seems to dislike.
At the moment I'm quite interested in the 'Tournois Inox Super Nickel Electric Foil Jacket' (availible from the same supplier) because, well, it just looks funky, and I'd like to try a metalic lame.

symon
-15th February 2004, 21:06
Originally posted by Boo Boo
But it is soooo nice... :)

have to agree with you on that one boo VERY nice & VERY VERY comfortable :mexwave:

devalleassoc
-15th February 2004, 22:02
Originally posted by Aoife
[At the moment I'm quite interested in the 'Tournois Inox Super Nickel Electric Foil Jacket' (availible from the same supplier) because, well, it just looks funky, and I'd like to try a metalic lame. [/B]

I too have a TCA lightweifght foil lame, that is great, but that Tournois lame does look really cool. 'Anyone have any experience with it that you know of?? :hm:

aao
-17th February 2004, 12:31
I'd have to go for the new Duellist kit for the jacket and breeches as its even lighter on than the statex kit I was using!
Masks really a matter of preference either the Lp contour fit of the Duellist one.
Lame no idea us epeeists don't use those things!
Shoes very iffy, use the addidas equipment ones at the mo, but not particularily happy with them (and definately not convinced they're good for you, my physio was 'suprised' by them to say the least). Have been looking at some of the new squash shoes which seem to be much better or even the addidas wrestling booties which are very light and flexible.

p.s. the addidas/allstar kit isn't a particularily good choice as it apparently changes colour due to the dye used on the stripes! (plus it really looks bad on anybody who hasn't been to the Olympics)

Rdb811
-17th February 2004, 23:15
Originally posted by aao

Shoes very iffy, use the addidas equipment ones at the mo, but not particularily happy with them (and definately not convinced they're good for you, my physio was 'suprised' by them to say the least). Have been looking at some of the new squash shoes which seem to be much better or even the addidas wrestling booties which are very light and flexible.

I haveapair of Addidas Hi which my podiatrist didn't think wereaproblem.

sparkymark567
-19th February 2004, 01:20
Scoring Apparatus: Leon Paul (but use a battery).

devalleassoc
-19th February 2004, 02:43
Originally posted by aao
I'd have to go for the new Duellist kit for the jacket and breeches as its even lighter on than the statex kit I was using!

p.s. the addidas/allstar kit isn't a particularily good choice as it apparently changes colour due to the dye used on the stripes! (plus it really looks bad on anybody who hasn't been to the Olympics)

I'll have to agree with you on the Adidas/Allstar kit.
How does the Duellist kit fit. I do prefer a slimmer cut!!??

aao
-19th February 2004, 10:27
Was very impressed with it generally, fits very well (similar to the old Prieur range) and very light. I fully admit that I have ties with Duellist so am a bit biast, but hoestly would choose their new range of kit even if I wasn't

Australian
-19th February 2004, 11:09
i love my uhlmann FIE WC stuff... for cheap kit it has held out very well, and fits me very well (i'm fairly slim)

DrT
-19th February 2004, 11:35
I've recently got the duellist FIE kit and I have to agree - it's great! Its really stretchy which is wonderful, except my old LP kit now feels like a straight jacket. The wicking lining also works very well so it dries off quick too.

My only criticism is that the waist is a bit big, but as it comes with braces its not a big problem. Room to grow I suppose ;)

Australian
-19th February 2004, 11:52
duelist don't make their own masks i'm pretty sure.... cos i have an FIE mask thats exactly the same make as a duelist one, just with a different brand name where the duelist bit is

wingnutLP
-19th February 2004, 21:06
I am not entirely sure what if anything Duelist make!! ;)

To my knowledge they buy everything from third parties.
Some things like their new clothing are made exclusively for them but everything else (blades, masks, guards, etc etc...) are sourced from other manufacturers.

Australian
-20th February 2004, 10:01
Originally posted by wingnut
I am not entirely sure what if anything Duelist make!! ;)

To my knowledge they buy everything from third parties.
Some things like their new clothing are made exclusively for them but everything else (blades, masks, guards, etc etc...) are sourced from other manufacturers.

i guessed as much... but i wasn't going to make generalisations :)

uk_45
-20th February 2004, 10:28
So its the same as battling, by the way does any one know if Bruce Dickenson owns Battling?

Homer
-20th February 2004, 17:14
Sorry to correct you wingnut but you are wrong:-

"To my knowledge they buy everything from third parties.
Some things like their new clothing are made exclusively for them but everything else (blades, masks, guards, etc etc...) are sourced from other manufacturers."

Duellist go direct to their own designated manufacturers that produce things like masks, gloves and blades and guards etc- they do not buy from third parties? They have their own exclusive manufacturer for clothing and get their other products made to their own spec by independant companies that specifically design and manufacture these products- using mostly the same companies that Allstar/Uhlmann etc use and other such like companies use to produce and brand their goods.

And yes!- their new uniform rocks and i will be getting one shortly!

Bruce Dickinson does not own Battling, he used to own Duellist but that was a little while a go.

srb
-20th February 2004, 17:36
Originally posted by Homer
Bruce Dickinson does not own Battling, he used to own Duellist but that was a little while a go.

I think that Ian Briggs who runs Woking F.C. now owns Battling, or a least the PBT licence.

srb

devalleassoc
-20th February 2004, 20:35
Does anybody know anything about the Negrini kit??

wingnutLP
-21st February 2004, 17:18
Originally posted by Homer

Duellist go direct to their own designated manufacturers that produce things like masks, gloves and blades and guards etc-

That would be buying from third parties then!
I am not knocking their products, my point was just that they are a reseller rather than manufacturer. They buy products, brand them as "Duelist" and then sell them.

phreak
-23rd August 2005, 21:24
Actually that would be 'outsourcing manufacturers' in order to keep costs down which all companies do to some extent

Im sure LP dosnt make its own stainless steel for the mesh on masks or weave its own cloth for jackets or die cast its foil grips

I may be wrong, but to slate a company for outsourcing its manufacturing and therefore keeping its costs down for the consumer isnt good

does lp have such an extensive setup to manufacture every single item in house. an engineering machine, shop, a foundry, a blacksmiths forge, a spray shop an electrical department a sewing department, professional tailors and seamstresses electricians, engineers, foundrymen, blacksmiths, spray painters, and any other trained staff to do the work,
an R&D department, a testing department and a sales front to push it all or do they buy clips, Material, handle castings ect??

To resell or not resell that is the question!

Andy
-24th August 2005, 00:19
Not far off, from what I saw when I was down there last...

A.

Kro
-24th August 2005, 03:34
Originally posted by devalleassoc
Does anybody know anything about the Negrini kit??

A club mate got a Negrini mask some months back (either standard or 350N range). It hadn't even been used when already one side of the front mesh had been bent inwards.

Now, I'm sure the same would not happen with their FIE range, but seeing that really put me off from buying their kit, if I'm being honest. I can't see the same happening to my LP 29A mask, which is actually a lot cheaper than the Negrini 350N mask.

Foilling Around
-24th August 2005, 11:23
Originally posted by phreak
Actually that would be 'outsourcing manufacturers' in order to keep costs down which all companies do to some extent

Im sure LP dosnt make its own stainless steel for the mesh on masks or weave its own cloth for jackets or die cast its foil grips

I may be wrong, but to slate a company for outsourcing its manufacturing and therefore keeping its costs down for the consumer isnt good

does lp have such an extensive setup to manufacture every single item in house. an engineering machine, shop, a foundry, a blacksmiths forge, a spray shop an electrical department a sewing department, professional tailors and seamstresses electricians, engineers, foundrymen, blacksmiths, spray painters, and any other trained staff to do the work,
an R&D department, a testing department and a sales front to push it all or do they buy clips, Material, handle castings ect??

Having had an indepth tour of the premesis by Barry, LP does have the majority of what you describe "in house". I was quite surprised at how labour intensive the business was and how much was done in house.

I think Wingnut is stirring a little because setting you own specification for a product and having it made exclusively for you by a supplier is not "buying it in".

On the subject of Negrini kit. That which I have seen seem to be of good quality (I have a Negrini sabre Lame) but it is very expensive. Unless you really like the style or the fit, I think you can just as good quality at a much better price from other manufacturers.

wingnutLP
-24th August 2005, 12:08
Originally posted by phreak

We don't dig the steel out the ground but we do have every other thing on your list including injection moulding machines electronic forges an r and d department etc...
There is an on line "guided tour" here http://www.leonpaul.com/home/factory_tour.htm and if you ever visit the shop on a weekday and one of the family is free then we are happy to give anyone a quick tour. :)

I was not "slate[ing] a company for outsourcing its manufacturing" I was merely distinguishing between manufacturers and resellers. We are very proud to manufacture in the UK. Maybe if the people of the UK had been a bit more supportive of goods manufactured in the UK rather then buying imported goods from the likes of North Africa, China and Eastern Europe (which is where Duellist buys its kit from) we would still have a British manufacturing industry!

Alex Paul

rob_lifes_short
-6th December 2005, 06:39
Mask LP 1600N with new contour fit its so light
Jacket LP atlanta series
Plastron LP lightweight 800N
Lame LP lighweight
Foil LP Maraging with Lighweight gaurd
As you've probablyguessed Im a Leon Paul man!!

Sabre Dude
-6th December 2005, 20:38
I would have to say that I use Leon Paul and it is great! 800N Breeches, Jacket and plastron, although I use an allstar red sabre mask and lame (they rock!) and allstar sabres. Also use either Leon Paul shoes or adistars, because Dartagnan II's wear down really quickly. Although I use Allstar lame stuff, the Leon Paul stuff is better in loads of ways, so just buy Leon Paul, Leon Paul, leon Paul hey Barry lol!

Nick
-7th December 2005, 23:28
Mask LP 1600N with contour fit
Jacket LP Sydney Range
Plastron LP 800N Double sided (I don't like having straps around me)
Breeches LP Competition Range (Saving up for the Sydney Range ones though)
Socks LP
Glove LP G136 until recently. Trying out Uhlmann's glove at the moment (the non grippy one)
Shoes Liked my D'arts but they've finally died trying asics at the moment and the Adidas Court Stabil
Epee's Handle Uhlmann, Guard/Socket LP Lightweight, LP pad, gradual transfer from StM Blue/Rainbow to BF Blue and LM Gold, Points and wires etc LP PTFE coated stuff

I like the padding on the LP glove but I find that the seam off the thumb is just wear the hook part of my grips press against and so holes occur rapidly. Also the Uhlmann glove sinches in at the base of the hand (I find the LP glove is like putting your hand into a tube).
Generally I'm an LP guy, it's just the odd thing here and there which other companies seem to have thought of and the handle is just what fits my hand (Up until the day after the miller hallet I used LP pommeling handles.)

cesh_fencing
-8th December 2005, 00:57
All the suppliers have differing cuts and bias on all their clothing.

My advice, try them all out. Get the bits that fit best for you..

Getting all your kit from one supplier is often a compromise as no-one (in the real world) exactly matches the cut of a single supplier (as very few fences I know are proportioned as a normal person is, not that I am saying all fencers are abnormal par say).

If you get, let say, a Plastron from Allstar, Jacket from Duellist and breeches from Allstar, who cares (about the look) as long as it fits well, streaches where it should and does not add target.

I am a supporter of all our main equipment suppliers who do manufacture/buy in high quality product (Allstar/Uhlmann, Duellist and LP). All do cuts that fit different fencers well and all have some particular items of kit I recommend day in day out..

If you are going to make a trip (to London by car at least) to one supplier, why not do a round trip to all three, they are not too far apart and all supply great quality kit..

I do recommend if you are buying a full set of new kit (ie mask, jacket, plastron, breeches) to make the trip to the suppliers to check fit/sizes etc as mail-order, though convenient means you will probably not get the best fit.

Fit and feel is the key to your kit and an extra hour or two identifying the kit that is best for you can benefit your results greatly.

If you feel comfortable you have a good chance to fence your best... If you feel S**T in your kit, it does not help...

kd5mdk
-8th December 2005, 10:00
I have been told by a number of people that the Estoc lames are the cream of the crop.

Sabre Dude
-25th December 2005, 19:15
Where do you find the Estoc lames, as I havent seen them!?

Epeecurean
-25th December 2005, 20:58
Originally posted by wingnutLP
Maybe if the people of the UK had been a bit more supportive of goods manufactured in the UK rather then buying imported goods from the likes of North Africa, China and Eastern Europe (which is where Duellist buys its kit from) we would still have a British manufacturing industry!

Alex Paul

Adam Smith is spinning in his grave.

kd5mdk
-25th December 2005, 21:14
Originally posted by Sabre Dude
Where do you find the Estoc lames, as I havent seen them!?

In the US they are available from Swordmasters. I am not aware of who does their business elsewhere, although they are a French company and I'm sure intra-EU commerce still works anyhow. I found them through a very obvious Google search just now. (My previous post was edited because it contained a link to a vendor, so I don't know what I can say.)