PDA

View Full Version : Team A-grades?

Boo Boo
-3rd February 2004, 11:56
(ok, this forum needed a new post... :) )

Does anyone know what is happening with British entries for team A-grades this year?

I was surprised to see that a British team wasn't entered for the Paris Team World Cup (despite a team going to compete in the individual event)...

Boo

Cyranox11
-4th February 2004, 05:53
Maybe British Fencing is pre-empting the death of team fencing?
Seems to me that in a few years we will only do individual...
:(

Lucan
-4th February 2004, 07:43
This is what I know.

The Sabre Committee are considering sending full teams to the following A
grades:

Athens
Madrid
Padova
Nancy
New York

The Sabre Committee are considering those in the top 15 of the British
rankings for A grade selection. And the top 25 have been sent emails
about it.

6 people have already made the qualifying standard European
championships which will take place in Copenhagen.

If you are in the top 25 and not received the email sent on 31/1/04, you better contact the Men's Captain, British Sabre Team.

Lucan

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 08:50
Hhhmm, doubt that it is the death of British fencing (at least, hope not...)

Am just curious about the Paris A-grade, since I know that a lot of effort, enthusiasm and I believe that a reasonable amount of financial support has gone into men's team foil over the past year or so. Am wondering whether Paris is just a hiccup or whether it is something else (i.e. the are not likely to qualify for the Olympics, so aren't doing the rest of the team A-grades this season).

Great new about the men's sabre, Lucan - I look forward to a men's sabre team revival :)

Boo

tigger
-4th February 2004, 12:40
I think Nancy & Athens don't actually have team events (but I could be wrong). The plan is to send a full team of 8 to all the above A grades.

Threestain
-4th February 2004, 13:45
Bear in mind that team events have an entry fee of 400 a team. Which means most team events are unfeasible unless funded centrally. Oh for more central funding!

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 13:47
Is that a recent increase? The ones last year were about 80 Euros/dollars each (GPs that is...). The entry fees were re-inbursed by the BFA then...

400 Euro - eeek!

Boo

Prometheus
-4th February 2004, 14:58
yep - 400 Euros

Could be that it worked out at 80 euros per person at sometime or other??

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 15:17
No, muggins here paid the whole entry fee for Turin team a-grade last year and that was 80 Euros I believe - pretty sure I would have struggled to find 400 Euros...

Boo

Prometheus
-4th February 2004, 16:17
You didn't fall for the ole tourist trick of letting the local count out the money while telling it's 80 instead it's 400!:o

Prometheus
-4th February 2004, 16:24
Perhaps it's only GP events where the price has to be 400

GP events (http://www.fie.ch/download/letters/2003/FIE/13/en/The%20FIE%20Grand%20Prix%20events.pdf)

Boo Boo
-4th February 2004, 22:37
Ah, I paid for Turin (Feb 2003) - before the new fees came in...

Boo

nahouw
-5th February 2004, 23:29
Originally posted by Boo Boo
No, muggins here paid the whole entry fee for Turin team a-grade last year and that was 80 Euros I believe - pretty sure I would have struggled to find 400 Euros...

Boo

I believe it is 80 for entry in an individual GP, and 400 for entry into the team event, and team events only occur at a GP. I could be mistaken, and that the 400 is only for World Championships....

Many teams are not competing in the team events this year if they feel they won't have a shot at it -- rather, using scarce resources in other areas.

Boo Boo
-6th February 2004, 09:26
Originally posted by nahouw
I believe it is 80 for entry in an individual GP, and 400 for entry into the team event, and team events only occur at a GP. I could be mistaken, and that the 400 is only for World Championships....

Turin GP last year (2003) was 60 Euros/Dollars for the individual, 80 Euros/Dollars for the team. It is the May changes that changed the Team Entry fee to 400 Euros...

Boo

Prometheus
-6th February 2004, 09:29
So does this mean that there will be no Ladies foil teams this year if Boo Boo is not sponsoring them again???:(

Boo Boo
-6th February 2004, 09:39
Ha, ha! No I didn't sponsor the team last year, I just paid in cash (somebody has to) and was re-inbursed by the BFA (who pay for team entries, but NOT individual entries - so I was re-inbursed for the team event, but paid my own 60 Euros for the individual event).

Yes, it is planned that women's foil team events will be fenced in this year, but with our two best and most experienced women foilists opting not to fence in them, it doesn't make life very easy at all.

The women's foil team event at Como was not entered because only three individuals could go, none of whom wanted to fence in the team event.

Boo