PDA

View Full Version : Moft 2004

Tarmac
-4th February 2004, 17:46
Anybody going to the Merseyside? Or know of any good/cheap places to stay nearby the venue?

foilerist
-4th February 2004, 18:29
if you look on the moft website they give you the addresses of local hotels. They are literally around the corner from the moft venue, don't know about prices etc. but they seem quite nice. I drive past them quite a lot and you could quite easily walk to the venue from some of them.

uk_45
-4th February 2004, 20:50
Not going this year going down for the sabre in cardiff, but live just close to it where is it and i'll tell you a cheap hotel.

Gav
-4th February 2004, 21:06
I'll be down. It's a nice tourney and well run. The organisers are really nice people.

Australian
-5th February 2004, 08:20
i'll be there.... but i'm making the daily trip up from shrewsbury i think

Marcos
-5th February 2004, 09:33
I'm going - a week before the East of Ireland, thought it would be a good warm-up.

Get in late on Saturday into Blenheim Lodge, then fencing in the sabre. Flight leaves very late on Sunday, so if anyone is going for a beer after.....

:sleep: :starfight :drink:

uk_45
-8th February 2004, 17:29
Well wish i was going this year as it would have been alot cheaper than Cardiff oh well have fun all!

plewis66
-9th February 2004, 07:44
I'll be there...if Barry can get my breaches done in time ;-)

Bit nervous about ti to be honest. My coach said it would be worth it for the experience, but it's my first comp.

Not so much worried about the fencing, frankly, I'll be happy to just get a couple of hits in the first round poule. It's more what goes on on the day. Haven't got the foggiest. :confused:

Tarmac
-12th February 2004, 14:19
Looks like i'll be the only devonian dragging my sorry behind up there then! I'll be the knackered looking one in the corner trying not to fall asleep and really looking forward to the drive back!:grin:

Cheetara
-12th February 2004, 14:36
Not so much worried about the fencing, frankly, I'll be happy to just get a couple of hits in the first round poule. It's more what goes on on the day. Haven't got the foggiest

My interpretation of what goes on during the day is

People wander round trying to find where to check in

Queue up to check in

Wait around for varying lengths of time depending on which open and weapon you are doing

Something is announced, ask people around you what exactly was said then give up and find someone to ask

Find piste

wait around for all your opponents to turn up in kit

Fence

wait around while your/opponents equipment starts to work

wait around for next match

repeat last 2 until all you've fenced all you poule opponents

sign that your fights have been recorded correctly

shake hands with everyone

wait around for all the other poules to finish

wait around for poule results to go up

lunchtime happens around this point usually

wait around for DE fights to start

wait around for your first DE fight

If you lose at this point {

go and have a shower

wait around for people who you are sharing lifts from}

else{

wait around for next DE fight

fence

}

if undefeated

wait around for the end of the open to get prizes (not that I've managed that one I might add)

3 Card Trick
-12th February 2004, 14:38
Not so much worried about the fencing, frankly, I'll be happy to just get a couple of hits in the first round poule. It's more what goes on on the day. Haven't got the foggiest.

The good news is you'll have two rounds of poules before the DE and that there is a plate competition as well, so come what may you'll get plenty of fencing.

Enjoy it.

plewis66
-12th February 2004, 20:41
Excellent.

The bad news though, is that one of the suppliers I ordered custom built breeches from seem to have lost my order.

I rang them yesterday to get an update on how things were progressing, and they had no record of my order (which I placed over the phone) at all.

Glad I ordered a second pair from from a different supplier...

foilerist
-12th February 2004, 23:13
fenced there last year and it is really well organised, pistes well numbered, all the organisers are nice people. not too much waiting around as i recall. My club has a refreshments stand there as the comp is held in the same hall as we fence in each week. although it's not organised by us, we,ve just started a beginners comp called the pheonix foil which is open to fencers with less than 2 years experience and as you can tell from the title, fence foil.

Jambo
-13th February 2004, 10:02
Originally posted by 3 Card Trick
[B
The good news is you'll have two rounds of poules before the DE and that there is a plate competition as well, so come what may you'll get plenty of fencing.
[/B]

Oh s***! I always do terribly if there are two rounds of poules. How are the seedings for DE going to work?

uk_45
-13th February 2004, 16:05
Got a feeling they do it through hits scored in poules.

Prometheus
-13th February 2004, 16:08
Poule results of both rounds? plus a sprinkling of typing errors to spice up the seedings :)

Petch66
-13th February 2004, 19:50
I'll be there for U18 Epee! I'm gonna get a woopin but dont really care lol! :sam:

Tarmac
-17th February 2004, 17:58
That's the spirit!!!:grin:
Still waiting for my membership details to come through when i rejoined the bfa... grumble... don't want to travel 400 miles to find out that i can't enter cos my card hasn't come through...

pinkelephant
-17th February 2004, 21:31
If your card hasn't come through you'll still be able to enter. Just fill in a new form and give them another cheque - they'll send this to the BFA, who will promptly tear it up when they find you've already paid. I've had to do this many times for a certain son of mine........................

PM1
-17th February 2004, 21:36
...oh, yes - boy couldn't find the card for BYC's, so ma wrote a cheque, and then collected it and the form from DT when we left to go to Slough and handed it in there. ANd then got home and turfed boys bag out - nothing. And then guess what I found in the bag when he said he was packing it for Harrogate this w/e - the MISSING card. Ha!

Now I'm waiting for the FIE to arrive before Edinburgh - my breath is NOT being held......

Boo Boo
-17th February 2004, 21:50
Originally posted by PM1
Now I'm waiting for the FIE to arrive before Edinburgh - my breath is NOT being held......

When I applied for my FIE card, just before Xmas, it arrived in less than a week after I had posted my application - I almost fell over with surprise!

Boo

PM1
-17th February 2004, 22:08
Blimey !! That sounds nothing short of a genuine Christmas miracle from what I've been warned of as delays....!!

Marcos
-18th February 2004, 09:41
FIE cards can take-up to 3 years to come through - admittedly mine took just 4 weeks.

if you go to the FIE website, type in your name, and if you have a licence print-off the page and that (from experience) should suffice for CduN entry

3 Card Trick
-18th February 2004, 10:15
FIE Licenses are now applied for online. That is why the lead time for receipt has reduced drastically.

:)

3 Card Trick
-18th February 2004, 10:20
Oh! and you can check whether the license has been issued online as well. Good news PM! The Boy has a license.

I can even tell you the license number!!!

To check go to FIE website/licenses/search and then put in name and country, gender, and type of license (in this case fencer).

Or you can just put in weapon and get all the licenses for a country, by type etc.

If the actual license does not arrive, the print oput from the FIE site is usually accepted as proof of the license. Well it is at Foreigh A Grades anyway.

Rdb811
-18th February 2004, 13:38
Under two weeks for mine to come through.

PM1
-18th February 2004, 18:03
now don't let anyone ever say that 3CT is a $%"&*+ when he is reffing, cos he's a decent chap really......cheers!!:grin:

Tarmac
-20th February 2004, 18:39
nope, theres no sign of my registration... *@$$$~#!
thats the last time i'm register at plymouth open - thats twice it hasn't gone through!:mad:

Marcos
-23rd February 2004, 09:09
another w/e another comp...

wow I feel knackared - Irish Squad training on saturday, flight to Liverpool, then MOFT on Sunday.

Made L16 - didn't lose to anyone of the same standared or worse than me so happy with that. Best fight was poule against Whizzkid which went to 4-4 before he won in a pretty dramatic last hit.

Great to see Jambo doing really well to get a L8 (say hi to the wife). Farren beating Bowers 15-3 was outrageous.

All in all I thought MOFT was a great comp to go to as there is such a range of standared from relative novices to the top guys.
Organisation was good, having 2 poules is enjoyable - only slight quibble would be that the surface is a little unforgiving and back-ache becons by the end of the day.

PM1
-23rd February 2004, 09:33
well done!!

Just been told Brett and Gav met in the L16, with Gav the victor....another Aussie bites the ......:tongue: :o Will find out how everyone else did when i meet up with Jamie and pinkelly and 3CT tomorrow ....

hokers
-23rd February 2004, 11:15
Originally posted by Marcos
another w/e another comp...
Made L16 - didn't lose to anyone of the same standared or worse than me so happy with that.

Well done! What was the NIF, approximately? I was sick like a dog all weekend so couldnt have done this or the Hampshire, good job I decided to have a break. Should set you up well for the old east of ireland this weekend.

Jambo
-23rd February 2004, 11:19
Very good comp, had a great day. NIF for MS was 11 or 12 we reckoned. Anybody know who won? I presume Chris Farren?

Nice to see you again Marcos hope the flight home was ok mate.

Marcos
-23rd February 2004, 11:37
Farren at a canter - only Rose put up any kind of fight against him in the semi..

There were c.45 guys in the MS - we all fought each other for the right to meet Farren in the final - in the end Swiffin was our champion, and he duly got beat 15-6 in the final...just a different class.

got home at midnight - but happy, particularly as I beat Nicely in the L32 convincingly (just beat him 15-14 in Essex)

whizzkid1982
-23rd February 2004, 12:08
i was quite pleased with my semi against mr. farren since i actually stoped him from pissing around and made him fence properly!!!got one lucky one, a couple i felt that keith could have given me, but were very close, and should have concentrated more in the middle of the fight when doc changed what he did.

was a really nice day although i'm not sure about two rounds of poules. it made the day much longer than it needed to be. we only got out of there bout half 7 which meant late home.

tigger
-23rd February 2004, 13:01
How many years in a row has Doc won that now? I'm trying to get free entry for life to Hampshire cos I've won it 4 in a row - I bet Doc 's done more than that at MOFT?

Gav
-23rd February 2004, 13:44
Originally posted by PM1
well done!!

Just been told Brett and Gav met in the L16, with Gav the victor....another Aussie bites the ......:tongue: :o Will find out how everyone else did when i meet up with Jamie and pinkelly and 3CT tomorrow ....

Yep, poor old Brett ran into me when I was in the mood to put a poor Scottish Open performance behind me...

Marcos
-23rd February 2004, 14:46
results are up:

http://www.moft.co.uk

MS result of the day: Martin Chadwick beating Simon Donald in L32??

congrats to Philip Lee (IRL men's foil captain) who won the fair-play trophy

plewis66
-23rd February 2004, 14:56
Aw shucks.

Now everyone knows I came last :o

whizzkid1982
-23rd February 2004, 20:19
Originally posted by tigger
How many years in a row has Doc won that now? I'm trying to get free entry for life to Hampshire cos I've won it 4 in a row - I bet Doc 's done more than that at MOFT?

four in row for jaf. its nottingham that is ridiculous!!! hes only won that 5 in a row!

Brett
-23rd February 2004, 21:40
Originally posted by Gav
Yep, poor old Brett ran into me when I was in the mood to put a poor Scottish Open performance behind me...

Get ti, ye sod! I'm not that old!

I was trying to text the result to Derek (my coach), but it was made difficult by the predictive text on my mobile which couldn't handle "trounced" or "drubbing".

We really do need to agree not to go to the same competitions. This is getting ridiculous. Although, it is my turn to win again...

Petch66
-24th February 2004, 14:46
Told you i'd get wooped and I did! Number 76/80 on mens epee and the announcer said my surname wrong everytime on the tannoy! <sniff> Great day and loads of experiance learned tho! Pity about being fleched in the misters eh :grin:

colliebeast
-24th February 2004, 16:12
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
four in row for jaf. its nottingham that is ridiculous!!! hes only won that 5 in a row!

i thought he has won Nottingham 7 times...
and i think he may have won MOFT more than 4 also
you'll have to ask him in your perfect situation!:grin:

whizzkid1982
-24th February 2004, 18:46
ah yes but he had a break. i'm talking about in a row. he has won merseyside 5 times total. nottingham not sure. at nottingham they have given him free entry for life for winning it 5 times in a row.

Tarmac
-1st March 2004, 17:24
great days fencing...
30th in the end - i can live with that, especially as i've only been fencing for a year or so!
nice to finally meet ya Gav
well worth travelling the distance... pah a mere four hundred miles is nothing to go for a fight :tongue:
should be a prize for travelling the most stupid distance...

uk_45
-1st March 2004, 21:21
If there is i would have to win it lets see i live a 15 min train trip to the moft would have had a nice lay in but what do i do go down to cardiff and get up at 4:45am!!!!