PDA

View Full Version : forearm strength

Cyrano5
-11th December 2010, 09:30
Anyone good any very effective ways to develop forearm strength? I have a power pool and a hand grip, both which are good but wondered if there were any weight/non equipment ways out there?
Thanks

SAD
-11th December 2010, 13:19
hope that people around you like home made cake and meringues and make lots using a balloon whisk. I suggest 4 egg whites to start with using 4oz of fine caster sugar left over nightin the oven after making the dinner

Foilling Around
-11th December 2010, 13:58
www.powerballs.com

But don't bother with the counter it is a gimmick for a while but pointless

munkey
-11th December 2010, 16:54
Buy a Sunday Times tomorrow, read as much as you want, then take one sheet (other broadsheets are available) and hold it by the corner, crumple the page into a ball using only one hand. Repeat. Good for finger and forearm strength.

Munkey

purple
-13th December 2010, 13:02
See climbers :-)

http://www.climbthatwall.com/climber-training-blog/2010/4/12/top-exercises-for-forearm-strength.html

Cyrano5
-13th December 2010, 14:42
See climbers :-)

http://www.climbthatwall.com/climber-training-blog/2010/4/12/top-exercises-for-forearm-strength.html

Yep- they certainly do the trick.. can barely type.

Nick_C
-19th December 2010, 14:09
If you're at a gym, ask an instructor. They'll show you some wrist flexor/extensor exercises etc.

Alternatively, try googling it and hunting around on the 'net.

Cyrano5
-19th December 2010, 17:07
Thanks, however most of those exercises don't really promote functional fencing forearm strength.. however hanging, rolling up weights on pieces of string etc seem to do the trick, involvement of fingers I think..

Jon Willis
-19th December 2010, 17:26
I live on my own now and don't seem to have a problem with forearm strength.

(too far for a family forum?)

Foilling Around
-19th December 2010, 20:19
I live on my own now and don't seem to have a problem with forearm strength.

(too far for a family forum?)

You going for the sympathy vote this Xmas Mr Willis?

Cyrano5
-20th December 2010, 09:37
really Jon... what can we say...

S&C Guy
-3rd January 2011, 13:15
Anyone good any very effective ways to develop forearm strength? I have a power pool and a hand grip, both which are good but wondered if there were any weight/non equipment ways out there?
Thanks

My main return question would be why do you need to increase your forearm strength? Not trying to ask a really stupid question as i know fencers have to hold the sword but sometimes you have to fully understand what someone understands by strength and why they feel they're lacking it in order to give a quality response.

Some general thoughts on forearm strength and fencing. Be careful with to much wrist flexion/extension work, over developing these muscles could cause some loss of dexterity (which is key for fencers). If you over grip the handle of your weapon you will have very little say over what happens to the point 3/4feet away from you.

The other thought is if you forearms are becoming fatigued during fights this could be due to either nutrition or tightness in muscles rather than weakness. You are probably aware about the need for hydrating and fuelling you sessions to ensure you perform optimally. Dehydration and loss of salts has also been linked to cramping which is even more common in the extremities (think forearm and calf muscles). If the muscles in this area are tight and your wrist is lacking mobility this will cause an even greater effect! Tight muscles reduce mobility in joints, your wrist is designed to be extremely mobile, but tightness in one muscle will cause the opposing muscle to have to work even harder to move than it is designed to do, so making you feel weaker than you are.

My tip would be to ensure you have a healthy/mobile wrist, get some massage or soft tissue work done on the forearms (can provide links to examples if you need) and then if you are still finding problems readdress the issue. Otherwise blindly building strength in you forearms is likely to cause more problems than it solves!!

Hope this helps, Rhys I

Cyrano5
-10th January 2011, 08:29
Was getting RSI type symptoms from the my middle finger, across the back of my hand and running up my forearm. Not had this issue in 5 years of fencing, have a very light grip. Just started one evening and could not shake it. However strengthening and stretching the area seems to have fixed it. However was finding it difficult to find exercises that focused on the area without over straining it...
Thanks for your input though.

S&C Guy
-10th January 2011, 12:44
Was getting RSI type symptoms from the my middle finger, across the back of my hand and running up my forearm. Not had this issue in 5 years of fencing, have a very light grip. Just started one evening and could not shake it. However strengthening and stretching the area seems to have fixed it. However was finding it difficult to find exercises that focused on the area without over straining it...
Thanks for your input though.

No worries. I would definately look into some soft tissue work, either from a masseur or by yourself. Investing in a 'Tiger Tail' massage stick (another brand is 'The Stick') is very worth it but failing that you can do it with a rolling pin!! Just roll the forearms, both sides, i hae to do it myself and you'd be amazed the difference it makes!

Agricola
-25th February 2011, 09:18
Thanks

My advice would be to buy a set of dumbells, you can get a cheap set of York dumbells on amazon, and lift those weights most mornings. I do 3 sets of 12 reps on each arm increasing the weight with each set. I'd advise including the hammer curl in there, 3 sets on each arm raising the weight with each set.

I myself do the hammer and bicep curl and tricep extensions and don't have any issues with arm endurance or strength.