PDA

View Full Version : Fencing in Olympic Games

michel
-8th February 2004, 18:46
The fencing competitions of the Olympic Games replace the World Championships for the year in which they are held..
This was OK when all weapons were fenced at OG, and when these competitions were open to all countries, without another quota than those of the World Championships.
Nowadays, qualifying system is very complicated, some weapons won't be fenced at OG.

Don't you think that, like in another sports (ice skating, cycling for example), world championship should take place for each weapon in addition to OG, instead of only fence world Championship for events that are not fenced at OG ?

whizzkid1982
-9th February 2004, 12:29
although ideally all the weapons would be fenced at the olympics, yes i know this isn't happening!

Australian
-9th February 2004, 13:12
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
although ideally all the weapons would be fenced at the olympics, yes i know this isn't happening!

actually it is, on an individual basis....

its only the WF and WS that don't have team events

Boo Boo
-9th February 2004, 13:20
There will be world championships for WF and WS team this year - they will be held during the New York World Cup in Jone.

Boo

Australian
-9th February 2004, 18:32
indeed they will :)

wish i could afford to go over to watch it...

bucket
-10th February 2004, 08:23
wish i could afford to go over to watch it...

and if the yanks let people in.... Spent longer in customs than on the flight the last time I went over.

granted, carrying three "unknown weapons" (Sabres) in my luggage.

one way of winning- don't let your opponents in the country;)

Australian
-10th February 2004, 11:39
there would be one key problem with me entering the WF and WS teams tho.... ;)

Rdb811
-10th February 2004, 23:56
I'm sure a visit to teh Armourer's could fix that.:grin:

Rhubarb
-11th February 2004, 09:05
Fact: Instead of posting questions and/or making statements which are wrong, can I advise, with respect, that people log on to the FIE site(it has an english section). Trawling through that site gives you GENUINE INFORMATION, such as that the weapons not being fenced at the OG will have their own W/C, in the US i think.

Enjoy the workings of the FIE, it gives an insight and warning of rule changes/refereeing policy etc.

michel
-11th February 2004, 12:08
I know that he 2 events which won't be fenced at OG will have their own World Championship.
The question I asked is indeed : as some events are not fenced at OG, but in separate World Championships (WCh), why not to fence WCh with all weapons and with everybody, while OG events will be another competition with different criteria to qualify, and to have then only a few fencers ?

Fencing needs to stay in OG, but what a pity to fence separately team events for example.

Boo Boo
-11th February 2004, 12:29
My guess would be that, because of the importance of the Olympics, the top athletes would find it very difficult to organise their training to fit in a World Championships as well.

The top fencers in the world periodise and organise their training to "peak" for the Olympic Games (although obviously they also need to also perform well for the qualifiers...). That is one of the reasons why qualifying for the Olympics finishes in April - the athletes who have qualified, and their coaches, then have about 5 months to just focus on their goal.

Having a World Championships before the Games would not be good preparation (people could peak too soon - it would be difficult to treat a "World Championship" as a warm up competition...). After the Olympics, many of the top fencers will be entering a rest phase in their training - and are unlikely to have the enthusiasm to compete again.

Hope that makes sense.
Boo

Prometheus
-11th February 2004, 12:35
Fact: Instead of posting questions and/or making statements which are wrong, can I advise, with respect, that people log on to the FIE site(it has an english section).

This site would be a very quiet empty one if people followed this advice (see threads posted concerning foil refereeing!!:mad: )

Australian
-11th February 2004, 16:07
Originally posted by Prometheus
This site would be a very quiet empty one if people followed this advice (see threads posted concerning foil refereeing!!:mad: )

teeheehee very true :)

i voted Yes and i'm proud of it!

Australian
-11th February 2004, 16:14
Originally posted by michel
I know that he 2 events which won't be fenced at OG will have their own World Championship.
The question I asked is indeed : as some events are not fenced at OG, but in separate World Championships (WCh), why not to fence WCh with all weapons and with everybody, while OG events will be another competition with different criteria to qualify, and to have then only a few fencers ?

Fencing needs to stay in OG, but what a pity to fence separately team events for example.

Actually the New York World Champs/World Cup will be quite huge, hosting:

Womens Foil Individual Grand Prix with indep. Referees
Womens Sabre Individual Grand Prix with indep. Referees
Mens Sabre Individual Grand Prix with indep. Referees
Womens Foil World Cup Teams with indep. Referees
Womens Sabre World Cup Teams with indep. Referees
Mens Sabre World Cup Teams with indep. Referees

Womens Foil Teams World Championships
Womens Sabre Teams World Championships

All over 5 days....

I think that it is a reasonable compromise to not being able to fence it at the games

Boo Boo
-11th February 2004, 16:21
So they plan to have the Women's Foil Team World Championships the day after the Women's Foil New York Team World Cup...?

Wouldn't it be easier just to turn the World Cup Team event into the Team World Championships???

Boo

Australian
-11th February 2004, 16:46
Yeah i had to reread that too... meh, another possible rank improving chance before the big one...

I don't understand why people are voting no tho,

the fact is:

it would be incredibly hard to organise, as World Champs are

the fencers would not want to have more than one major world champs-type competition a year, they'd spend their time building up for this big one, to have another lurking around the corner...

and personally i think it would deride from the olympics itself.

Anyways,

using the initial example, the cycling 2004 world championships are actually used as a qualfier for the Olympics.... I just think that seems wrong...