PDA

View Full Version : For all the sword obsessed loonies like me

ImmortalFencer
-9th February 2004, 15:15
Swords are the greatest weapons ever. Its that simple.

madfencer
-9th February 2004, 15:21
yep they sure r n im a really big looney!!!!!!!!

TAJ83
-9th February 2004, 15:43
Yep. Never a truer word spoken, although I know some fools who would disagree. I was having an argument with this guy I know about which is better, the fencing sword (I was discussing rapiers at the time) or the pole axe (he does battle reenactment). We had a fight, foil vs poleaxe. I won. :grin:

uk_45
-9th February 2004, 15:44
Its true but i bit of pointless thread (very bad pun there)

ImmortalFencer
-9th February 2004, 16:01
I love all the swords rapiers katanas longswords gladiuses

uk_45
-9th February 2004, 16:23
True they are all very nice can;t wait for my Anduril to arrive!

bucket
-10th February 2004, 08:26
I'd love to fight with a claymore.

something about the noise it makes when it hits something else (e.g. a local) really stirs the blood up here in Inverness.

bufc99
-10th February 2004, 09:57
Swords rule. At the moment I'm bidding on ebay for a set of 3 samuri on a stand. THe usual one big, one medium and one short. I registered with paypal but to actually spend any money I've got to register as an extended user or something which means waiting for a code that appears on my next card statement. QUick and Easy to use they claim. Is it bollo***

Luckily the guy accepts personal cheques if I win but there you go. My little rant over.

Cheerio for now.

Swords rule.

Marcos
-10th February 2004, 10:52
swords are cool, but given the choice in a fight I'd rather have a tank
:tank2:

madfencer
-10th February 2004, 11:37
TAJ83: well dun 4 winning!!!!! swordz rock n so do guns!!!! ( dont worry im not a terrorist!!!!!!!

madfencer
-10th February 2004, 11:39
Marcos: U TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ok tanks r cool 2 but swordz r better!!!!!!!!!!

Mantis
-10th February 2004, 11:41
You cannot drop a tank down a 6 foot drop so that you can easily pick it up again after doing a double somersault.

madfencer
-10th February 2004, 11:43
lol! true... very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice one Mantis!!!!

oddball
-10th February 2004, 11:50
the sword is just right for persuading someone to agree with you.................... brandish it under their nose

mohaha!!

TAJ83
-10th February 2004, 14:04
So, how long is it until the nice men in the white coats come and 'pacify' all the people who've posted here?

I've escpaed from my cell before, and I'll do it again! They can't hold me there! (although the rubber walls are quite fun to run into really fast!)

madfencer
-10th February 2004, 15:16
yep thatz extremely true n it wont b very long... probably very soon... yep theyre just walkin through the door now...Oh $%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcos
-10th February 2004, 16:42
Originally posted by oddball
the sword is just right for persuading someone to agree with you.................... brandish it under their nose

mohaha!!

a brandished tank would be pretty persuasive

oddball
-12th February 2004, 10:01
agghhhhhhrr! they got me!
now i wish i had a tanto in my belt ( methinks i will get one when i have the time and the cash)

madfencer
-12th February 2004, 10:15
lol! nice oine oddball!

Pointy stick
-12th February 2004, 17:28
<<Non Sum Pisces! Magister Mundi Sum!>>

No fish for me, I'm up before the Magistrate on Monday?!

madfencer
-13th February 2004, 10:11
how cum?! -oops sorry didnt mean 2 sound dodgey-me n my dirty mind as usual!!!!!! :moon: :)

TAJ83
-13th February 2004, 15:34
Well its true! The first part of it anyway. I'm working on the second bit!

TAJ83
-13th February 2004, 15:36
It translates as 'I am not a fish! I am Master of the Universe!' Like I said, the first bit is true. I got it off a website full of humerous Latin phrases.

oddball
-13th February 2004, 18:52
hmmm, which site?

oddball
-13th February 2004, 18:56
My school doesn't, and never has taught Latin. Shame though, Ihear it's very usefull for understanding other languages.

Petch66
-13th February 2004, 20:08
I actually collect swords, Japanese Katanas, Tai chi, Rapier, anything that comes my way! I want one of those reproduction epees that leon paul sell- quality looking.

madfencer
-16th February 2004, 09:58
EVERBODY, LATIN SUX ITZ THE WORST LANGUAGE U CAN EVER LEARN DONT EVEN BOTHER, N AS 4 IMPROVIN OTHER LANGS IT DIDNT HELP ME (ESPECIALLY WEN U HAV A TEACHER WHOS BI!!!!) THERE R ABOUT 50 TENSES WHERAS THERES 3 IN FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indigogecko
-18th February 2004, 15:36
swords are cool. Latin is also cool, though I didn't think so when I was doing it for GCSE.

TAJ83
-18th February 2004, 15:48
Wow. Just to prove my lunacy, Me, and a friend, who have been having a long standing argument settled it the good old fashioned way.

He espouses the sword techniques of the japanese, and practices Kendo and Aido (Don't think that's spelt right!)_

I prefer the sword style from Europe. I do battle re-enactment, and fencing, and I would like to try classical fencing. (yes, I'm a geek. I've learned to live with my disability.)

Thus, we went against each other. He was armed with a shinai, and I with a singlestick.

We actually came out, as far as hits went anyway, about even. In terms of sheer physical pain, I came off the worse. He raised his sword above his head, so I made a hit at his elbow. He brought down his shinai and gave me a right whack across the wrist. This was on Saturday. The swelling is starting to go down now.

TAJ83
-18th February 2004, 15:50
The Latin site is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A218882

twohappyhippos
-18th February 2004, 16:24
latins not that bad...apart from learning like the pluperfect subjunctive tense thingy!!! and almost everything thing is an ablative absoulute (ive probablly spelt everything wrong!).

hehe i like the website...darn it, why didnt i know those kinda 'useful' phrases when i did my exam in it.

as for helping with languages, i dunno cause i really didnt pay attention in my latin grammar lessons cause i didnt like translating!!! lol, so it didnt exactly help me with my french grammar. plus theres the fact that id already been doing french for like 3 years before i started doing latin, so by that time, id already done 99% of all the grammar! and latin doesnt help with german (unfortunately!!!)

p.s. TAJ83 i hope your wrist is alright!!!

TAJ83
-18th February 2004, 16:38
I'll be fine. I'll just cry a lot, and milk it for all the sympathy I can get, and snivel and put a 'brave' face on it if anyone is foolish enough to show any.

Also, obviously, I will 'expand' the story. When I said I was hit on the wrist by a guy with a shinai, I mean there were twenty big guys, all with huge clubs, and I was armed only with a foil, and off-hand teaspoon! I held them all off! In fact I was winning. They were all actually in retreat, when thirty more ran in. Not even I was able to hold them all off, although things looked pretty bad for them for a moment! Eventually, even though they were on the brink of fleeing from my glorious defence (think The Matrix, only far better!) one managed to get behind me, and hit me on the wrist with a tree trunk. Even then, I didn't go down, and drove them all away, saved the world, got the girl, and then had a sit down and whined on the fencingforum about my swollen wrist!

Yeah, that's exactly what happened! Ask anyone! :grin:

TJ

madfencer
-23rd February 2004, 11:59
hey just been on the site, its sooooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! no really, i REALLY like it!!!! (cant believe i just said that about a latin site!!!)!!!!!!
TAJ83: hope ur wrist getz better soon!!!!! like the story-very cunning!!!!!!!!! well done tho in the fight!!!!!!! very brave of u!!!

oddball
-27th February 2004, 11:18
anyone got a lightsaber?

madfencer
-27th February 2004, 12:15
no sorry

oddball
-1st March 2004, 11:21
If you had a lightsaber, you might have to learn saber first!!

madfencer
-1st March 2004, 12:11
hey im getting lessons frm 2 people so dont cheek!!!!!! ur gettin lessons in sabre 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u doin da foil league on thurs? im determined to win my pool n thrash em!!!!!!!!!

Athos
-3rd March 2004, 12:24
Originally posted by TAJ83
Well its true! The first part of it anyway. I'm working on the second bit!

My latin's a bit rusty, but I think it says:

I am not a fish, I am the master of the world.

;)

Athos
-3rd March 2004, 12:31
Originally posted by madfencer
EVERBODY, LATIN SUX ITZ THE WORST LANGUAGE U CAN EVER LEARN DONT EVEN BOTHER, N AS 4 IMPROVIN OTHER LANGS IT DIDNT HELP ME (ESPECIALLY WEN U HAV A TEACHER WHOS BI!!!!) THERE R ABOUT 50 TENSES WHERAS THERES 3 IN FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noo! Latin is very cool - none of this "where's my aunt's pen?" rubbish - the translations are all about poisonings, corrupt consuls and dodgy fortune tellers! And it definitely helped with German grammer (and English grammer actually!) All those gerunds and gerundives, ablative absolutes, genitives, datives ... hmm, the homework was a bit of a pain though...

madfencer
-4th March 2004, 10:13
mmmm....yea wen i did latin (ive quit it 4 gcse thank god!!!) we had 2 do massive translations all about a load of boring ****!!!!!!! the only good thing about latin was all the myths that came wiv it and learning about roman villas and baths!!!!!!!!!!!!! it didnt help having a weird latin teacher that is female but... well... put it this way, very masculine!!!!!!!!

oddball
-4th March 2004, 11:51
Do you mean a grown up tomboy or a transvestite?

ImmortalFencer
-4th March 2004, 13:35
meeeep ^ creepy weeeeeee im back (got my comp takin away by parents grrrrrrrr) Just though id pop in and say hi as i am waiting for my fencing lesson and im sitting in my dads office (so booooooring)

rusty1109
-4th March 2004, 13:43
swords are well and good but apart from fencing i wouldn't fancy having to fight with one, no give me an enfield with spike bayonet any day, range, accuracy and a long sharp thing all in one nace package also includes non lethal solid wood butt "club"

madfencer
-5th March 2004, 10:15
Originally posted by oddball
Do you mean a grown up tomboy or a transvestite?
transvestite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oddball
-5th March 2004, 12:19
Thought so!

" in fencing does the word annialation mean anything to you?" the not-so-famous last words of someone I beat

TAJ83
-5th March 2004, 13:52
I have to say that while I do love swords, in a life or death situation, a big rifle with a bayonet, a tank, or better yet, an enormous Robot Killing Machine with built-in Doomsday Device would be chosen over the sword.

Actually, does anyone have a second-hand Robot Killing Machine with built-in Doomsday Device that they're willing to sell. I checked on eBay, but they didn't have any! :(

madfencer
-5th March 2004, 15:00
lol!
no annialation doesnt mean anything to me!!!! pm me who u beat!!!

oddball
-5th March 2004, 19:37
Annihilation, as in total destruction, wiped off the face of the earth etc etc......

madfencer
-8th March 2004, 10:13
Originally posted by TAJ83

Actually, does anyone have a second-hand Robot Killing Machine with built-in Doomsday Device that they're willing to sell. I checked on eBay, but they didn't have any! :(
sorry i dont!!!! lol!!!! :(

oddball
-9th March 2004, 17:02
What I want to get: a blind warrior mark2 katana, as seen on
www.imperialweapons.com

No cash at the mo, and my mum won't let me get one ..... yet

madfencer
-10th March 2004, 10:09
sounds well cool!!!!!!!! i cant get on the site coz our school has blocked things like that wiv ggfl!!!!!!!
I H8 GGFL!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry) guernsey grid for learning sucks!!!!!!! ehem... anyway... yea it sounds cool oddball!!!!!!!! (EVEN THO I CANT C IT!!!!!!!!!!!) sorry, losing it now (actually i lost it wen i was born but oh well!!! lol!