PDA

View Full Version : How tall are all you Epeeists?

Petch66
-10th February 2004, 08:21
How tall are all you lot? I'm 6' 2" and wondering if thats unusual for an Epeeist? Fair enough the extra arm length is useful but theres more of me to hit right?

Cyranox11
-10th February 2004, 09:02
5'10", but with disproportionately long arms (and red hair): I think there may be an oraung a tang in my ancestory.
:grin:

pinkelephant
-10th February 2004, 09:39
Ian Spofforth is, I believe, 7'4". He actually has to reach down to test his epee on the floor.

Gav
-10th February 2004, 09:47
I'm about 6' however I think that the 'tall' aspect of Epee is overplayed. I've seen decent Epeeists who are not all that tall.

Boo Boo
-10th February 2004, 10:07
Originally posted by pinkelephant
Ian Spofforth is, I believe, 7'4". He actually has to reach down to test his epee on the floor.

Was he at Slough this past Sunday?

I was in the epee hall (to watch the end of the men's foil poules) and was looking round and, in a hall of mainly rather tall men, saw one guy who was head and shoulders above the rest... he MUST have been tall...!!!

Saying that neither Tristan Parris nor Jayne Crook are particularly tall and both tend to do ok... :)

Boo

Prometheus
-10th February 2004, 10:43
2 feet 3"

whoops, wrong thread.....;)

aao
-10th February 2004, 11:19
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Was he at Slough this past Sunday?

I was in the epee hall (to watch the end of the men's foil poules) and was looking round and, in a hall of mainly rather tall men, saw one guy who was head and shoulders above the rest... he MUST have been tall...!!!

Boo

He was :( (teach me to try and outreach somebody a good foot taller than me at 4 all) :upset:

But no you don't have to be tall to be good, some of the best epeeists in the world aren't particularily tall, but then again if you're tall and good its definately an advantage (so thats 0 out of 2 for me then :dizzy: )

Mantis
-10th February 2004, 11:24
I'm just short of 6'2".

Originally posted by Gav
I think that the 'tall' aspect of Epee is overplayed.

I find that I have difficulty fencing people taller than I am. Strangely, I don't get much sympathy.

Australian
-10th February 2004, 11:34
5"7 :(

tho i'm a bit of a mix between foil and epee

TAJ83
-10th February 2004, 14:05
6 foot 1 and a bit, but I have disturbingly long arms, even for my height.

plewis66
-10th February 2004, 14:51
5' 10"

In epee, I'd have thought that the length of the arm was less impotrant than in foil. In foil, longer arms put your point nearer to your opponents target area than his is to yours. But in epee, the nearest target is the hand/wrist, which is the same distance away for both players.

Gav
-10th February 2004, 15:05
Originally posted by plewis66
5' 10"

In epee, I'd have thought that the length of the arm was less impotrant than in foil. In foil, longer arms put your point nearer to your opponents target area than his is to yours. But in epee, the nearest target is the hand/wrist, which is the same distance away for both players.

You'd think that wouldn't you...

:grin:

Australian
-10th February 2004, 15:16
Originally posted by plewis66
5' 10"

but the cut out times on the box in foil and epee vary considerably... plus that whole priority thingy ;)

Rdb811
-10th February 2004, 16:41
5' 10" - but with long arms.

Was the tall bloke Joel ? (30 ish, dark gingery hair) ? Iain is a vet with 'distinguished' hair.

Nick
-10th February 2004, 16:43
6'4"-6'5" and nicely bendy at the waist with nice strong feet which I can go up on for that extra few inches of height (ah the joy of a perfect rassemblement to the wrist) :) :cool: :rambo:

aao
-10th February 2004, 17:17
Originally posted by Rdb811
5' 10" - but with long arms.

Was the tall bloke Joel ? (30 ish, dark gingery hair) ? Iain is a vet with 'distinguished' hair.

yes it was joel, yes he was in my poule, and no i still can't manage to flick him to back woth an epee :( (there is something seriously dificult about trying to flick a 6.6ft guy to back with an epee) ((there is also something seriously stupid about trying in it :confused: )

Rdb811
-10th February 2004, 18:13
Tee hee - I'll bring a step ladder next time.

PM1
-10th February 2004, 18:53
Rich is about 5'7", I think, but fast and tricky when he wakes up. Which might be in the first DE, rarely in the poules.......:grin:

Rdb811
-10th February 2004, 23:49
Originally posted by aao
yes it was joel, yes he was in my poule, and no i still can't manage to flick him to back woth an epee :( (there is something seriously dificult about trying to flick a 6.6ft guy to back with an epee) ((there is also something seriously stupid about trying in it :confused: )

Pity Mark's injured at the moment - he's nearly as tall as Joel (and a lefty).

Chris Morgan
-11th February 2004, 15:40
Im around 5-7 5-8 and to be honest i think being tall is sometimes a handicap, think about it theres so much more of you to hit if your tall! Besides i usually struggle against smaller opponents (which isnt often)

ceprab
-11th February 2004, 15:59
6' on a good day.

I would do better against tall people if I could get quicker at ducking.

haggis
-11th February 2004, 16:20
5'10 or 11. Last time I fenced in a team event I was the team midget:( Stopped competing after that. I'm now wider than I am tall.

Cvillefencer
-12th February 2004, 03:51
I am 6'5" although my current division nemisis is a lowly 5'7"-5'8". I think that height is overrated in epee. After all the swords are all the same length. If anything the small guys have an advantage in that they are more difficult targets! :-)

Australian
-12th February 2004, 08:50
Originally posted by Cvillefencer
I am 6'5" although my current division nemisis is a lowly 5'7"-5'8". I think that height is overrated in epee. After all the swords are all the same length. If anything the small guys have an advantage in that they are more difficult targets! :-)

which is why most of the top 50 epeeists in the world are well over 6' ....

Chris Morgan
-12th February 2004, 09:42
Who cares how tall you are, i say if your a excellent fencer who can beat anyone no matter what their height,

Australian
-12th February 2004, 15:02
Originally posted by Chris Morgan
Who cares how tall you are, i say if your a excellent fencer who can beat anyone no matter what their height,

oh for sure, i wasn't disagreeing with that, i mean quite recently (within 10 years) there has been at least one 'short' mens epee world champion... can't remember his name.... anyone?

I was just pointing out that at the sydney mens epee world cup where i fenced last year, we had 16 of the top 24 mens epeeists in the world there plus many many many more in the top 100, and they all towered over me....

Australian
-12th February 2004, 15:06
heres the exemption sheets from our sydney world cup - honestly scary (number is world rank, these are the top 16 in attendance who don't do poules if you don't know the standard WC format):

Mens

Fencer number Name First name Country
1 MARIK Christoph AUT
2 JEANNET Fabrice FRA
5 ROBEIRI Ulrich FRA
7 ROTA Alfredo ITA
8 KARDOLUS Arwin NED
9 ROBATSCH Marcus AUT
10 VANKY Peter SWE
14 IMRE Geza HUN
15 SEPULVEDA Eduardo ESP
16 ABAJO Jose Luis ESP
17 VERWIJLEN Bas NED
18 KULCSAR Krisztian HUN
19 KOLOBKOV Pavel RUS
20 HOFFMANN Basil SUI
22 BOISSE Eric FRA
23 MARTINELLI Francesco ITA

But you think the mens was scary:

1 HEIDEMANN Britta GER
2 FLESSEL COLOVIC Laura FRA
3 DUPLITZER Imke GER
4 KIRALY-PICOT Hajnalka FRA
5 TOL Sonja NED
6 KAZMIRCHUK Nadeja UKR
7 HORMAY Adrien HUN
8 MACKAY Sherraine CAN
9 LAMON Sophie SUI
10 BOKEL Claudia GER
11 SIVKOVA Anna RUS
12 ISAKSSON Maria SWE
13 LOGOUNOVA Tatiana RUS
14 MARKOVIC Marijana GER
15 MINCZA Ildiko HUN
16 ERMAKOVA Oksana RUS

the womens!!! You needed to be in the top 16 in the world to get an exemption through the poules :dizzy:

oddball
-13th February 2004, 19:21
5'5''

no comments about short guy's you lot!!!!

Petch66
-13th February 2004, 19:35
Would we say anything bout short guys...!!?? :rolleyes:

oddball
-17th February 2004, 16:54
probably!

indigogecko
-18th February 2004, 14:40
5'5" but then I'm female. I tend to just *look big* through being somewhat overweight and quite powerful (I carry a lot of my weight as muscle bulk, which most people don't realise because it's well hidden under a layer or two of the wobbly stuff!!)

Legion
-4th March 2004, 04:11
Im only 5'6, and i think my hight got me into epee instead of foil, because i could hit hands on their way in faster, and more accuratly than i could parry riposte and touch chest.

I end up scoring 60% on hands, and arms as they come in on me.

oddball
-10th March 2004, 11:34
Cool, I generally seem to get people on the arm/ shoulder or on the flank, but maybe I'm just cr@p at epee!!!

oddball
-10th March 2004, 11:36
This is coming from the crazy kid who thought a comp was an appropriate place to get some epee practice.....

..nutter!!

Petch66
-10th March 2004, 20:14
lol i wouldnt worry bout it mate! I went to moft for same reason and u'll see me finished no.76/80 with a hole in my foot lol :grin:

oddball
-11th March 2004, 11:28
Cool, bet I would be last.

PKT
-23rd March 2004, 22:03
Some of the competitiors at the Vancouver Epee World Cup are not that tall. One of them is a Swede - I think that's Robert Dingl - that goes the tall Swede epeeist stereotype.

PK

stretchEpeeist
-5th April 2004, 15:41
6'7" and about the same in arm span!:rolling:

But what i got in height and span i lack in technique!

J_D
-6th April 2004, 13:48
at 5'4, epee is my weakest weapon....I wonder why that is?

neochrome
-29th April 2004, 10:05
6'1" but too round in the gut to take advantage of it ! :(

oddball
-29th April 2004, 11:18
J_D: Wow, someone who is smaller than me! Most of the epeeists look down on me (for both my height and my bad epee).
Short epeeists rock!!

Ulrika
-29th April 2004, 14:44
Originally posted by PKT
Some of the competitiors at the Vancouver Epee World Cup are not that tall. One of them is a Swede - I think that's Robert Dingl - that goes the tall Swede epeeist stereotype.
PK
Robert Dingl isn't that tall... Peter Vanky is definitely taller. Is that who you're thinking about?

//Ulrika

aao
-29th April 2004, 15:08
Off the top 16 epeeists in the world, Marik, Dingl and Kolobkof aren't exactly what you would call tall, they along with all the rest of that top 16 group do however have fabulous timing distance and point control somewhat more important than arm length!

(ps i have now achieved my aim of flicking Joel to back, it just needs a foil to do it).

Rdb811
-29th April 2004, 16:40
Originally posted by aao

(ps i have now achieved my aim of flicking Joel to back, it just needs a foil to do it).

Clearly a case for stiffer foils.

Leonardofury
-1st May 2004, 20:35
I'm 6' 2"

welshbubbles
-3rd May 2004, 11:49
i only 5'2'' but im still growing
:fencingsm

jamie
-3rd May 2004, 12:56
Originally posted by Petch66
How tall are all you lot? I'm 6' 2" and wondering if thats unusual for an Epeeist? Fair enough the extra arm length is useful but theres more of me to hit right?

I'm 6'2" aswell, dont think its unusual for an epeeist though

oddball
-14th May 2004, 19:28
Hmm, a tall opponent is good. My strategy is to scare em early on (works here), or a hit to the kneecap of the front leg which is painful and puts them off for a bit.

TBennett
-14th May 2004, 19:43
I am 6"1 and not too old

I have found that height isnt always an advantage. sounds stupid but if a small opponent is fast and can get inside your timing, its extremely hard for a taller (therfore less mobile) fencer to try and hit their opponent...

however, even saying that if the taller fencer can keep good distance then there is an advantage..

remember tho that it is onlt the distance from the blade to the wrist that is of main importance. in opens/adult competitions this is always the same so why the complaints?? hehe

pommelers have a slight distance advanage which is countered somewhat by relative strength of parry etc... (it can be argued that this isnt a disadvantage but in general....)

gbm
-14th May 2004, 20:58
I'm 5'7"... but then I'm a foilist.

twohappyhippos
-14th May 2004, 22:02
Hellphire: your way taller than 6'1.....either that or I've shrunk :(

Im 5'6 ish by the way, short but fast :grin: hehe in my dreams!

Rdb811
-14th May 2004, 23:22
I thought Hellphire was a bit shorter and 2hh a bit taller, but all you young people look the same to me.

TBennett
-15th May 2004, 09:54
ok i wasnt being totaly truthful.... i am 6"1.5 (as long as my tape measure is correct) and havent grown for a while.....

i am not that tall, twohappyhippos is short tho... (aww bless :grin: )

hehe

oddball
-18th May 2004, 10:03
*desperately trying to grow taller*:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :sam:

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 12:31
I'm 5'2 and at 19 I don't think I'm going to get any taller. Is there any way in which I can use my height to my advantage? At the moment I usually hit the legs and the underside of the arm of whoever I fence, but I think that's a bit restrictive.

gbm
-20th May 2004, 13:07
Run underneath them and hit them in the back. No, I'm only joking...
I don't think it matters so much with foil, if you do that. At least I know nearly all really top-level epeeists are ridiculously tall freaks, but I haven't heard that being true about foilists.

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 15:54
I like epee because there's not much of me to hit and that really annoys tall people. :)

Leonardofury
-20th May 2004, 18:34
Originally posted by strawberry
I like epee because there's not much of me to hit and that really annoys tall people. :)
You have an arm don't you?:tongue:

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 18:54
lol, People don't aim for my arm any more. It's not a big target.

Leonardofury
-20th May 2004, 18:59
I like aiming for peoples arms. Because I'm a lanky git i can try to hit someones arm and if I miss I'm out of range of the retaliation:)

strawberry
-20th May 2004, 19:02
I go for people's wrists, but that's because I have a mean streak and it's close enough for me to hit.

gbm
-20th May 2004, 19:06
Isn't that what epee is (nearly) all about?

Leonardofury
-20th May 2004, 21:19
Pretty much.

plewis66
-21st May 2004, 07:26
Originally posted by Leonardofury
I like aiming for peoples arms. Because I'm a lanky git i can try to hit someones arm and if I miss I'm out of range of the retaliation:)

<PEDANTIC STATE=ON>
Thats actually not quite true.
Both of your epees are the same length, so when your point is near your opponents wrist, his point is no further from yours. Assuming no angulation. If yuo angulate, then his point is actually lcloser to you, than you are to him, even if you are six foot three, and he's four foot nowt.
<PEDANTIC STATE=DEFAULT>
(Which. to be honest, is ON, anyway.

Leonardofury
-21st May 2004, 16:31
Well because I'm 6'2" I'm generally above people arm. Therefore the point goes down and I can cover most of my arm with the guard thus preventing the opponents point using it as target. I understand where you are coming from though.

Twohat
-5th June 2004, 18:35
I'm 6'1" but so far it doesn't seem to be an advantage. There is a little lad in our club who can beat me with a size 2 epee, and he probably stands at just over half my height. Ability seems to be far more important than build.

Besides, my daughters say I look like a polar bear when I fence.

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:25
Lanky opponents are cool, I like to scare them (in any way possible).

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:25
Lanky opponents are cool, I like to scare them (in any way possible).

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:26
Double posting, grrr!

Petch66
-7th June 2004, 12:44
Triple posting actually lol

gbm
-7th June 2004, 14:03
Any excuse to post... :)

Tihon
-16th June 2004, 08:45
I'd be around 5'7. It took me a while to translate it from centimeters to whatever this is, metric tons or something lol

madfencer
-29th June 2004, 12:02
god knows how tall i am! (well he would do actually if he even exists!!!) am i aboutn the same height a su oddball? i think/hope im a bit taller! prob. 5'5"-5'6". bt i dont actually do epee as yet, im taking it up hopefully nxt yr!

pincushion
-29th June 2004, 12:33
About 5'11 square! :)

spirall333
-9th July 2004, 13:44
5'10" and a bit and I'm about that round as well.
B

Farrago
-23rd July 2004, 13:31
5'2" I think. I think all of my clubmates are over 5'4" and most of the guys are over 6'. Team photos are rather amusing:tongue:
It's funny sometimes because I'm little and blonde and a girl so they don't always fight their hardest at first. Then they realise I've got a couple of easy points and actually wake up. Teehee.

Mr Flea
-23rd July 2004, 13:46
...i'm 5.9ft, and fight a little epee (albeit rather rash and inexperiencedly)...i'm thinking that before footwork or blade work, height is going to be where i devote much of my training...i've started to add an inch or two onto any medical form i have to fill in and i'm now blatantly lying about my height in an attempt to fool myself...i think once i can convince myself that i'm over 6ft, fooling my opponents will come naturally...i’ve already taken to ducking under perfectly high enough pub cellings and door frames…do Lean Paul do stacked heeled epee fencing boots I wonder?

Farrago
-23rd July 2004, 15:49
Someone once suggested I wear heels to enable me to reaach the opponent but I seem to manage ok anyway. I tend to move forwards quickly so that I'm too close for them to hit me but I can hit them. Unfortunately when opposing someone who also moves forward, we can get a little entangled:oops

PKT
-24th July 2004, 08:14
Try putting inserts or lifters in your fencing shoes...

PK

Tsra
-7th August 2004, 04:22
5'10", 140 lbs, light build.

Andy
-10th August 2004, 18:20
I'm 6' 1" 1/2 (and the 1/2 is important)

Is there any chance of poppint these results in a poll then we can all see at a glance the distribution of heights, it would also be good to see this info for sabre (and foil I suppose) - maybe it's just me - what do you all think of this?

A.

neochrome
-10th August 2004, 19:08
Andy with maroon socks ?

Andy
-11th August 2004, 02:19
One and the same!

Farrago
-11th August 2004, 09:50
Originally posted by neochrome
Andy with maroon socks ?

Where do people get excitingly coloured socks from? I've only ever seen white ones for sale. Are coloured ones allowed in competitions?

Andy
-11th August 2004, 10:00
Erm, my maroon ones are my old university colours (and as I used to play loads of sports I have still a few pairs kicking about - even now after so long)

I'm not sure if they are allowed for comps, I suppose depends on what level, but unless I knew that I was really awesome I'd be wearing white ones in comps as you don't want to stand out or give the opposition any help, i.e. the guy in the marron socks pommels / is a wrist shot man. You will be better off being harder to spot than than, and also more easy to forget, then they are looking at what you do for the first couple of points in each match.

Just my thoughts on standing out from the crowd - but in clubs I think it's OK, as then people know who you are, and if they are looking for you its easier when everyone looks the same.

A.

Insipiens
-11th August 2004, 10:22
You could easily get coloured socks by using rugby socks instead of fencing socks.

Farrago
-11th August 2004, 10:30
Thankyou:)
*wanders off in search of pink rugby socks*

J_D
-11th August 2004, 11:08
just bung your white ones in the wash with something red:grin:

reposte
-11th August 2004, 14:36
Isn't it odd that foil - the only weaopn in which height is of theoretical difference
(I mean in Epee and Sabre the hand is a part of the valid target area and so there is the same length seperating the fencers - a blade's length.
In foil having to reach for the valid taret area means that the longest arm has an advantage)

- is the weapon in which short fencers traditionally do well?

gbm
-11th August 2004, 16:53
Originally posted by reposte
Isn't it odd that foil - the only weaopn in which height is of theoretical difference
(I mean in Epee and Sabre the hand is a part of the valid target area and so there is the same length seperating the fencers - a blade's length.
In foil having to reach for the valid taret area means that the longest arm has an advantage)

- is the weapon in which short fencers traditionally do well?

In an attack, no matter what the theory is, you have a better chance with a longer arm.
But with a riposte, distance becomes a choice, and it is much more even...
And foil emphasises ripostes, even over remises that land first.

reposte
-11th August 2004, 20:43
In modern fencing, a conversation of the blade is much much rarer, the actions are closed and fast, the riposts are from prime or neauvieme or whatever it's called, not much emphasis on arm length.

Australian
-11th August 2004, 23:08
Originally posted by reposte
In modern fencing, a conversation of the blade is much much rarer, the actions are closed and fast, the riposts are from prime or neauvieme or whatever it's called, not much emphasis on arm length.

yeah, watching some stuff from last years worlds, it is almost completely fought in absence of blade, mostly attacks into preparation. Its changing the way i fence.

PKT
-13th August 2004, 22:48
Originally posted by Insipiens
You could easily get coloured socks by using rugby socks instead of fencing socks.

i find that most other socks that are not designed for fencing rip around the freont foot's ankle, yes, even adidas knee socks for football...

PK

Sweeper
-15th August 2004, 01:29
Blimey, you keep your socks long enough for holes to develop? Mine last about a week b4 they..ahhh... misplace themselves...

Oh, to add my little bit - I heard someone say that tall epeeists are going to be banned from fencing normal people... or that might have been me, I talk to myself...

No, but seriously, I think that tall people definatly have an advantage but I really don't know why.

I suppose I might find out if I read the rest of the posts - I'll go do that

Andy
-15th August 2004, 01:48
Originally posted by Sweeper
Blimey, you keep your socks long enough for holes to develop? Mine last about a week b4 they..ahhh... misplace themselves...

Well if you get a piece of string you can sew it on to the top of each sock and then pass the string up and down the legs of your breaches so that there is one sock in each leg, and then you can't loose them, (your socks not you legs) also you could sew your name into your socks so that if you do loose them someone will return them to you.

A.

Sweeper
-15th August 2004, 01:54
Or, if your name was Paul or umm Allstar (and that would be a great name!) then there would'nt be a problem.
There aint room in my breaches for a peice of string hoo ra!

PKT
-15th August 2004, 06:18
Originally posted by Sweeper

Alas, these socks were fairly new when they broke. The cause may be too much lunging on my part - esp. for a sabreur...:)

Maybe I'll try them in a snugger pair of shoes...

Andy,
I can't imagine anyone would want to steal, erhm, borrow Sweeper's smelly socks...

To repair - OK, darn - a torn heel on a sock, put a lightbulb in it to give it the proper shape, then sew away.

If you are not inclined to repair them, cut off the bottom, foot part and keep the top part for those people who keep wearing ankle socks in tournaments when you have a ref who cards people without the proper knee socks. Of course, you may even sell them the top half of your dead socks as leggings...

PK

SirCasey
-13th November 2004, 14:08
5'10" and 135 lbs. Need to develop better strategies against our club's long armed, long legged, lanky guy that has what feels like 3' extra reach on all of us.

Last time I was in the club I told everyone that I'd be going around with my mask after the bout and taking up a collection for arm and leg shortening surgery on him.

Everyone laughed and the gal fencing him scored a point.

Yay!

Or I suppose I can hope he graduates soon...

telkanuru
-13th November 2004, 21:40
Against us tall people, just beat up and step forward with a passato soto. We hate that, especially if the fencer is fast.

I'm 6'1" and 150lbs, btw.