PDA

View Full Version : electric Fencing

chortler
-10th February 2004, 10:04
Just wondered how many of you fence electric as part of your weekly session??

Boo Boo
-10th February 2004, 10:10
Never fence anything else (apart from lessons/skills sessions).

Boo

Prometheus
-10th February 2004, 10:41
'Is there any other form of fencing?' asks Prometheus provocatively...:rolleyes:

shandydann
-10th February 2004, 11:20
Not full electric as we havent the space with the new beginners, beeper boxes are handy. I train with the mini recorders.

(Sigh) I miss being wired up.

oddball
-10th February 2004, 16:30
if there's electric stuff about we use it, if not we find some (and some booze to make it interesting)

randomsabreur
-10th February 2004, 16:36
At sabre, very rarely because its too hot and too expensive given the extra wear on kit. At foil, most fights that I do are electric

Tihon
-11th February 2004, 07:37
That is the only way I fence. I don't even have dry equipment. Apart from lessons of course.

hayleyjade
-14th February 2004, 15:36
i ahve too clubs (greedy i know)

one club is solely steam

the other is soley electric!

uk_45
-14th February 2004, 17:15
A fence sabre fully eletric part from when all boxes are taken.

Pointy stick
-14th February 2004, 19:38
I fence electric foil twice a week. I entered a steam foil competition last week and found that the skills required were surprisingly different.:(

Prometheus
-14th February 2004, 19:44
Originally posted by randomsabreur
At foil, most fights that I do are electric

In which sense of the word 'electric' do you mean in this case?:rolleyes:

Aoife
-15th February 2004, 22:15
I've fenced electric three times EVER! The first time at the S.E regionals in November 2003, the second time in early January at Roy and Angela Goodall's workshop in Bromley, and the third time at the BYCs.

We always fight steam at my club... mostly due to the fact that we have two lames, two electric swords, two bodywires, and that's all the electric kit we have.

It makes scoring interesting (getting the kids to try and officiate at least lets them appreciate how hard it is), and if we're doing proper bouts we have to have four corner judges and somebody presiding, which takes up pretty much the whole gym area.

Mantis
-15th February 2004, 22:23
Originally posted by Aoife
... and if we're doing proper bouts we have to have four corner judges and somebody presiding, which takes up pretty much the whole gym area.

I remember being taught to preside with judges. I'm a little sad that people don't seem to know how to do it anymore but I suppose that is just me being a grumpy old man, although not so grumpy and old as to believe that we should get rid of electrics and go back to steam.

Seen on a fencing glossary somewhere:

Abstain: French for "Sorry, I wasn't watching" :grin:

Rdb811
-15th February 2004, 22:36
We still try and get the beginners doing full judge jury, although not very often. We've now gone to electrifying them asearly as the fifth week, which seems to be working.

randomsabreur
-16th February 2004, 09:58
The big question is, how will the answers have changed by 2006 when any electric fencing will require an 800N plastron, and 350N breeches and jacket. Do we require beginners to buy breeches, or do we provide them, or do we keep people on steam until they are ready to by kit? Potential 'mare for sabre clubs, as we sabre requires breeches even for steam fencing!

Insipiens
-16th February 2004, 12:51
When I started fencing the first couple of (junior) competitions I did were steam. These were the days when competitions ran in poules all the way through.

The four other fencers in a poule of six acted as hit judges. The advantage of this was that the president had to phrase each movement and check whether there had been a hit rather than relying on the "one light" result. As a novice this, combined with the need for everyone to see my hits, was incredibly helpful in learning how to fence and follow bouts.

I would not advocate going back to steam fencing in competitions but I think there is some merit in beginners learning with steam for a bit.

That said, I only ever fence electric at club, except in my lessons. I still use an electric foil then because:
a/ that is what I want to be able to fence with;
b/ the coach has a heavy plastron so it does not make a difference to him; and
c/ I have no steam foils, and have never (as far as I recall) owned one.

Rdb811
-16th February 2004, 23:52
Originally posted by randomsabreur
The big question is, how will the answers have changed by 2006 when any electric fencing will require an 800N plastron, and 350N breeches and jacket. Do we require beginners to buy breeches, or do we provide them, or do we keep people on steam until they are ready to by kit? Potential 'mare for sabre clubs, as we sabre requires breeches even for steam fencing!

I suspect the rule will be honoured more in the exception.

randomsabreur
-17th February 2004, 11:33
Only if people want insurance problems!

Then again, in France they are already required to use that level of kit, the club I was in had about 30 full sets, from the minuscule to the huge!

symon
-26th February 2004, 14:29
Originally posted by shandydann
Not full electric as we havent the space with the new beginners, beeper boxes are handy. I train with the mini recorders.

I know theres's nothing nicer than being wired up to the mains:flame:

symon
-26th February 2004, 14:30
Originally posted by shandydann

shandydann
-27th February 2004, 16:05
Originally posted by symon

I always find I go up a gear when wired up and a couple of our beginners are training for a pentathlon so I think that the wiring can make such a difference when training, cos you cant always tell with steam