PDA

View Full Version : anyone like footwork???????????

oddball
-10th February 2004, 16:36
footwork - does anyone out there like it? i must be mad, deranged, drunk, concussed or otherwise incapable of normal reasoning because i quite like it!! is anyone else guilty of this?:grin: :

aao
-10th February 2004, 17:21
er yes to name but a few......the French, Hungarians, Italians, Russians, Cubans, Koreans, Chinese......

Anybody spot what they have in common when it comes to fencing????

JohnL
-10th February 2004, 18:28
Just because they're good at it, doesn't mean they enjoy doing the work to make it good.

UglyBug
-10th February 2004, 18:44
I love it - nothing better than a stroll down the road to the pub. I find it more challenging on the way back though - maybe I need to practice drinking more??

Pointy stick
-10th February 2004, 21:18
Ooh, I quite like practising it. It's just using it successfully that I find difficult.:(

haggis
-10th February 2004, 21:33
Normal people (no offence, guys!) don't like footwork. It hurts, makes you tired and can make you feel clumsy and inadequate. This is unpleasant. However it is less unpleasant than losing to bad fencers when you hurt and are tired, clumsy and inadequate. Hence footwork has to be done if you're going to avoid the more unpleasant experience of being rubbish.

Regards

Haggis

devalleassoc
-11th February 2004, 05:16
Love the stuff!! (But then again, I'm not too normal!!):grin:

Jumpit
-11th February 2004, 05:29
Originally posted by devalleassoc
Love the stuff!! (But then again, I'm not too normal!!):grin:

Freak.

:fencingsm :womping:

devalleassoc
-11th February 2004, 05:35
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jumpit
[B]Freak.

Yeah, I know!! Pain is my friend! :transport

Jumpit
-11th February 2004, 06:02
I run every morning... From the bed to the coffee pot.

No. really. You actually LIKE line drills?!?

Yeah. Seek professional help. Freak.

;-)

oddball
-11th February 2004, 07:33
yeah fun! gets borin after more than 1.5 hours or so, cos by then i just wanna fence. good 4 warmin up though!( im totally insane!!)

devalleassoc
-11th February 2004, 08:05
[i]Originally posted by Jumpit

No. really. You actually LIKE line drills?!?

Yeah. Seek professional help. Freak.

;-) [/B]

Yeah, drills are fun!! (I also enjoy them for track!) But< I guess I am a freak. I tried to get help, but I got turned away!! :(

oddball
-11th February 2004, 09:57
line drills? if thats what i think it is, then its quite funny

madfencer
-11th February 2004, 10:07
FOOTWORK SUCKS-U SHLD NO THAT BY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! itz hell but it does improve ur fencing-especially wen bumblebee does it-oddball u kno wot i mean?! my advice is 2 stick through it n all da hard wrk will pay off hopefully in da end(even tho it didnt 4 me!!!)!!!!!!!! it kills!!!!!!!!!!! i thought u were all mad...uve just confirmed dat fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!

oddball
-11th February 2004, 11:45
tell him and i kill u painfully! if u practiced u'd get better.....................bu the way, there's training on sunday good luck!

mohaha!!!!!

madfencer
-11th February 2004, 11:58
yea i kno theres training on sunday but as itz me bday on fri:
1. ill hav a massive hangover prob.
2. ill hav enough illegal substances inside me 2 kill a mongoose (sorry nicked sum1s sayin there who i fancy n goes 2 our club im sure u can guess-ill pm u wiv his name!!!) so that shld b VERY funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
doubt ill get better m8-more likely worse-thatz how it seems at da mo evern tho i am off form!!!! got fencin after skool 2day!

Jumpit
-11th February 2004, 15:34
Originally posted by oddball
line drills? if thats what i think it is, then its quite funny

Naw. It's just another name for group footwork drills. I would like to pretend to be clever and funny, but I have to admit I'm just not.

I am curious what you were thinking though. We're you thinking Line Dancing? Like that silly Duck Duck song?:endworld:

randomsabreur
-11th February 2004, 17:47
I only like footwork when I can see that it is doing me some good. Likewise, I can only stand fitness training when I have some motivation of the "if you don't do it you will suffer" type, or I feel that i am losing matches I should win simply through lack of fitness.

Footwork is good when well coached, with rational progressions and helpful advice. It is worse than useless when you are not given time to correct your own faults, and faults that you have and are unaware of are not corrected, as it can end up only ingraining the faults further.

I do not like doing footwork for footwork's sake, but I do like the improvement regular training can make to my fencing.

hayleyjade
-11th February 2004, 18:36
i HATE footwork, i always fall over>:confused: :dizzy: not good!!!!

devalleassoc
-11th February 2004, 20:20
Originally posted by hayleyjade
i HATE footwork, i always fall over>:confused: :dizzy: not good!!!!

Somehow I'm not shocked!!:grin:

hayleyjade
-11th February 2004, 21:04
:tongue:

devalleassoc
-12th February 2004, 03:54
Sorry! I just couldn't resist!!:transport

oddball
-12th February 2004, 16:55
No, jumpit, I didn't mean line dancing ( i'm not that far gone yet). I ment group footwork, just hadn't heard the expression before

oddball
-12th February 2004, 17:00
hey madfencer, I don't recon he (which one is it now, or do I not want to know!) will go 4 you if you're still hung over....... .....if I carry on like this she's going to thump me (and I don't blame her!!)

mayoM
-12th February 2004, 21:15
Oh yeah, I love footwork; especially seeing how thats the only thing I can ever do correctly :tongue:

oddball
-13th February 2004, 07:34
footwork ok at the moment ----- but bladework is screwed!!!!!!!!!!

madfencer
-13th February 2004, 10:09
madfencer, he used 2 be an alcoholic, he *******(edited that meself!!!) luvs da stuff!!!!! last time i had a drop, saw him n he like hugged me 4 5mins!!!!!-not jamie, matt!!!!!!!

oddball
-13th February 2004, 12:42
ohmigod!

but what did I expect?!!

by the way, what's this got to do with footwork?

oddball
-13th February 2004, 12:45
Oh, I get it, you were both legless so your footwork was screwed anyway.

( hits self over head with sword)

ow!

think I'd better stick with fencing...

(goes off to fence with someone......)

madfencer
-13th February 2004, 14:44
Originally posted by oddball
ohmigod!

but what did I expect?!!

by the way, what's this got to do with footwork?

look above-up da list of posts!!!!!!!!!! u asked about who it was! :)

madfencer
-13th February 2004, 14:46
Originally posted by madfencer
look above-up da list of posts!!!!!!!!!! u asked about who it was! :)
nope! but me footwork is screwed anyway n soz me bladework...

...basically everythin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVRYBODY, HEY, IM SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry u shld kno by now im mad...hyper...and screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :)

oddball
-13th February 2004, 17:46
it may just be my dirty mind, but that sounded suspect.

madfencer
-16th February 2004, 10:08
yea ohwell ive got a dirty mind 2 u shld kno that! :moon:

indigogecko
-18th February 2004, 15:17
I have a reputation (apparantly) at club for having amazing footwork for someone who is that bad at fencing. Outside club, to the wider community of fencers, I believe my reputation is nearer that of someone who is an incredibly bad fencer for someone with a whole decade of it to their name. As to enjoying it, yeah, not too bad. I do drills on my own in the gym as part of my workout, for distance I do random steps, stop and decide if I have to extend, step-extend, lunge, how far, or step-lunge to hit the wall with a flat palm. Not perfect but it is the same thought process for distance in fencing, just a different set of parameters.

oddball
-19th February 2004, 16:45
ah well, I've heard it's possible to win fights on good footwork, timing and distance even if your bladework is dodgy.

Pointy stick
-19th February 2004, 17:38
Ah, but fencing is nothing but footwork, footwork, footwork...

until you meet someone with footwork AND good distance...

then it's footwork and distance, footwork and distance...

until you meet someone with good distance, footwork and timing,

then it's distance, footwork and timing, distance, footwork and timing...

until you meet someone with distance, footwork and timing, and good point control...

then distance, footwork and timing, good point control, and neat disengages...

And so on, until you get two supreme fencers with excellence in all aspects of the game. So how does one gain an advantage... she works on her footwork...and her opponent works on his footwork and distance...

It seems to me to be a mistake to concentrate on one aspect of your game to the exclusion of all others, because a good opponent will attack you on your relatively weak attributes.

But the important thing I've learned in the last few months is that you take up fencing thinking it's all to do with clever movements of the blade, and gradually learn that the most important movement of the blade is the last inch the tip moves onto the target. Assuming a standard blade length, and inelastic arms, that means moving your feet to get the distance right.

Nick
-19th February 2004, 19:44
I love footwork and I even do footwork down the high street in Exeter. It's fun and you get to laugh at all the funny people who are walking strangely in that one foot then the other foot style. Crrrraaazzzzy:confused: :transport But to be honest who wouldn't love that perfect stability and balance and the oppertunity to work on speed and precision. (and if you can do your footwork in the middle of the road and not feel embarassed you can do footwork at your club and feel completely normal):) :cool: :rambo:

uk_45
-19th February 2004, 19:52
Yeah I'm always doing footwork round the house havt surcomed to down the street yet. honestm, it wasnt me you saw, it WASNT

oddball
-20th February 2004, 18:16
Nick

Also guilty,
................ I'm surprised the nice men in white coats haven't taken me off to Castel Hospital in a straitjacket yet........!

Robert
-23rd February 2004, 10:21
Footwork is hugely important. Not just for getting points but for avoiding injury. Some people may have seen me turn my ankle over at Merseyside at the weekend, that was purely bad footwork. I was lunging leaning forward (so my leg didn't stop at a nice 90 degree angle) and turning my foot in. Both mistakes that constant practice will reduce the risk of.

Robert

madfencer
-23rd February 2004, 11:50
omg saddos!!!!!!!! doin footwork down the street?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wotever next!!!!!!!!!! cant say im guilty of that crime!!!!! i do footwork round the house tho!!!!!!! dont u get stick 4 doin it down da street?!!!!! i get enough stick as it is wivout doin footwork down da street!!!!!!!!!! :upset:

Pointy stick
-23rd February 2004, 20:54
Originally posted by Robert
Footwork is hugely important. Not just for getting points but for avoiding injury. Some people may have seen me turn my ankle over at Merseyside at the weekend, that was purely bad footwork.
Robert

If only you'd done it when fighting me.;)

Hope it wasn't too bad.

Nick
-23rd February 2004, 21:00
I get the occasional odd look but you find that people are usually desperate to stay normal and walk around in a haze of denial saying "if I don't acknowledge this then it isn't happening", and the course i'm doing kinda gets you trained up ready for people "giving you stick". The only reason people give you stick is because they don't understand and that scares them and also you become living proof that there are people willing to be themselves and be individuals in public so there's a bit of envy thrown in as well. So to people who try to stop you being an individual:mad: :moon: :mad:

devalleassoc
-23rd February 2004, 22:36
Originally posted by Nick
The only reason people give you stick is because they don't understand and that scares them and also you become living proof that there are people willing to be themselves and be individuals in public so there's a bit of envy thrown in as well. So to people who try to stop you being an individual:mad: :moon: :mad: [/B]

Eloquently stated. I could not agree more!!:sam:

oddball
-24th February 2004, 07:53
agreed!
Dead good temper control practice

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 10:11
i get a lot of stick coz i like to b an idividual and certainly would never follow the crowd!!!!!!!!!! im not a popular coz no1 likes me!!!!!!!!!!! i get a bit of stick coz i dress in goth clothes-im not a goth tho-i just like the clothes!!!!!! i dont dresss goth all da time tho!!!

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:14
Yes, but there's a difference between the individual and the downright wierd........

..if only I knew what it was!!!!

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:18
'Tis a fine line me boys, 'tis a fine line.......:eek:

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:19
to get back on thread subject, you could develop goth footwork???????????

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:21
perhaps, but ya need goth footwear first!!:grin:

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:23
how do you fence in goth boots??????????

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:25
Gig advances, and look out for the lunges!!!;)

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:30
hmmm, I think I'll take your word for it as I have a: no intention of trying it out , and b: no goth boots!!!!!!!!!!!

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:32
Heh, I know, I was guessing anyway!!:confused:

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:34
now how did I know that????????

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:37
:shrug:

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 11:40
I dont hav ne goth bootz myself but ive got v. expensive black trainers-will dat do?!
wot da fish is goth footwork?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
soundz like a loada frollops 2 me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
soundz sumthing like a failed lunge-spell instead recover-person dead or disarmed-literally-soundz quite fun-mwuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-lol! havent u realised im totally barmy yet?!!!!!!
ehem...

...please excuse me!!!!!!!!! :o

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 11:43
[QUOTE]Originally posted by madfencer
[B havent u realised im totally barmy yet?!!!!!!

YEP!:transport

oddball
-24th February 2004, 11:46
goth footwork is summat I just made up ,madfencer!!

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 11:51
well we cld make it up?!!!
goth footwor soundz quite cool!!!!!!!!!!!

Gav
-24th February 2004, 11:59
Despite the fact that this thread has wondered off into completely bizarre territory I couldn't resist chiming in!

Goth footwear

The 'Goth boots' that you are possibly referring to are New Rocks [aka "Goth Wellies"] as sported by moody teenagers the length of the country.

I know quite a few real Goths (or should that be old Goths?) and they would take exception to any form of footwear being referred to as "Goth" apart from really pointy elf boots...

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 12:02
thanx 4 da site-will go on it now gav!!!!
ive got a proper goth top with really cool floaty sleeves!!!!!!!!!!!!

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 12:08
:( er gav da link 4 da site didnt work!!!!! u couldnt try again cld u?!!! :kiss1:
ps. i also like fetish n wen im older ill go fetish!!!!!!!!!!! whips rule!!!!!!!! :whip:

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 12:09
:ignore: yea soz bout dat!!!!!

Gav
-24th February 2004, 12:12
I'm confused, I don't remember posting any links to anything...

However, as some people seem interested...

Goth Welllies! (http://www.newrock.es/) - that one is best viewed on a broadband link.

Famous Gothic Emporium located in Camden London (http://www.blackrose.co.uk/) - There is bound to be a lot of pointy boots in there somewhere...

Off to Chit Chat we go...

This has moved well off the Fencing track...

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 12:15
thanx gav ur da best -x- (even tho they prob. cost da earth!!!!!)
loggin off now guys gotta go 2 me lesson!!!!!!!!!

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 12:15
Originally posted by Gav

I'm seriously considering shifting this to the Water Cooler now. [/B]

'WATER COOLER"??? Wrong forum!!:rolleyes:

Gav
-24th February 2004, 12:17
Originally posted by devalleassoc
'WATER COOLER"??? Wrong forum!!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I went all American for a second.

As you can see I've just recovered.

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 12:18
WHEW!!!! 'Scared me for a sec., there!!

Marcos
-24th February 2004, 14:22
Originally posted by Gav
I'm confused, I don't remember posting any links to anything...

However, as some people seem interested...

Famous Gothic Emporium located in Camden London (http://www.blackrose.co.uk/) - There is bound to be a lot of pointy boots in there somewhere...

what a bizarre website.....oh hang on, there's a lingerie section....

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 14:39
dat site rocks!!!!
gotta go guyz tlk in bout 20mins prob. im in IT lesson!!!!
teacher rite by me!!!
byeeeee :eek:

uk_45
-24th February 2004, 15:04
I really like new rocks think they are beast

madfencer
-24th February 2004, 15:26
yea new rocks cool!!!!
gav: dont b afraid 2 use american-me sis lives in america!!!!!!
:)

oddball
-24th February 2004, 16:13
you lot wreacked my ******* thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool!!

jonny
-24th February 2004, 17:20
btw, as long as this has gone waaay off topic anyway, what's up with the Fencing.net boards? I can't get on them, haven't been able to for days.

devalleassoc
-24th February 2004, 17:23
:gun:

Robert
-24th February 2004, 18:58
Originally posted by J.Harris
btw, as long as this has gone waaay off topic anyway, what's up with the Fencing.net boards? I can't get on them, haven't been able to for days.

They went down for some sort of maintenance. Must be taking longer than expected to bring them back up.

Robert

madfencer
-25th February 2004, 09:52
yea this has gone way off topic but if any1 likes this new kinda topic thatz fine but im starting a new thread :grin: !!!!!!!!!!!

devalleassoc
-25th February 2004, 14:44
Originally posted by Marcos
[....oh hang on, there's a lingerie section.... [/B]

:)