PDA

View Full Version : Groin strain

holding wrong end
-1st March 2011, 21:10
I have strained muscle in groin from over extending a lunge.It's been two weeks so i went back to the club,had a bout,hurt it again.Does anyone have any advice as to exersize,rapid healing etc.I have a comp. in 12 days.

kalivor
-2nd March 2011, 09:10
I have strained muscle in groin from over extending a lunge.It's been two weeks so i went back to the club,had a bout,hurt it again.Does anyone have any advice as to exersize,rapid healing etc.I have a comp. in 12 days.

Sorry, there is no magical rapid healing powder for a groin strain. They tend to linger and take a long while to heal completely.

Rest, and maybe consider not going to your competition -- it's clear that two weeks is not a sufficient amount of time for your groin to heal.

S&C Guy
-2nd March 2011, 09:53
I'm affraid i agree with kavilor. Its about understanding that you currently have a minor, but difficult injury that you do not want turning into a major very difficult injury!! You can ice hell out of it, slowly ease on some movement etc but the likelihood is it will struggle to heal without complete rest for a while.

On a more proactive note though, attempt to find the cause of the injury, fencers are vulnerable to groin strains because of the fencing stance, but you should be conditioned to cope with this. Unless it was a freak incident where you overextended or slipped, the probability is you have some imbalances/mobility issues/weaknesses that caused you to strain the muscle. A decent S&C coach, sports physio etc should be able to identify where your tight or weak and advise you how to correct this.

Use the injury to become stronger long term rather than finding ways to train or compete around it that will inevitably lead to more serious injuries down the line!

Good luck, Rhys

Rdb811
-2nd March 2011, 11:18
All I can say is that this thread reads "Groin Strain started by holding wrong end" on the forum front page.:whistle:

Rudd
-2nd March 2011, 14:31
Definitely see a physio and if at all possible one with a sports background. That will probably mean going private. A sports therapist is another option as are some Osteo's and Chiro's.

Get the injury treated now before it becomes chronic. Follow S&C Guy's advice. Work with the physio to determine a course of action, strengthen what's weak and stretch what is tight. In the mean time RICE and, if you know how do some soft tissue work on the injury yourself. Google is your friend.