PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Fencing & Breeches

bydande
-4th May 2003, 10:18
Now according to the British Fencing website the current guidelines regarding breeches are as follows:

vi) In non electric fencing only, proper breeches may be replaced by strong full-length trousers or tracksuit trousers, provided all pockets or zips are sewn up or taped.

This implies that - for the moment anyway - anybody fencing elecric should wear breeches and for this reason the esteemed president of SF has been leening on scottish clubs to insist that their members do follow this guideline - insurance (and safety) is the usual reason given in explanation. My club recently experienced such a visit and now insists that memebers wishing to fence elecric must wear breeches.

So imagine my surprise when I discover that SF cant even be bothered to enforce these guidelines at its own competitions. The last Youth series event in Inverness and the Under 13 Scottish championship event yesterday saw at least 30% of competitors wearing tracksuit trousers. I also know of many clubs - with SF managers as officials and coaches - who dont enforce this rule.

So I am confused. Is the SF president wrong to insist that all clubs enforce a breeches rule when fencing electric or is SF wrong when allowing fencers to compete in youth competitions with tracksuits because it doesnt look to me that both can be right.

I know that from 2006 electric fencing with a blade smaller than size 3 will be exempt the requirment to use breeches and I am never in favour of turning people away from competitions just because they dont have breeches (there are too few competitors as it is) but it would be nice if SF could at least be consistent and not tell some people one thing and then allow something different themselves.

nessyfencer
-4th May 2003, 12:31
The problem is that everyone does not have wads of cash and can go out and buy breeches. I think Sf are just not being too strict for the time being because of this reason.

And as you have just said yourself, 30% of the competition did not have breeches, therefore to stop everyone fencing if they didnt have breeches would have just been silly.

bydande
-4th May 2003, 13:33
Nessy,
I agree not everybody has wads of cash which is part of my complaint - but kids at my fencing club are being prevented from fencing electric because the SF president has told us to enforce breeches. So why should kids at my club be disadvantaged compared to kids at other clubs who are just ignoring the guidelines.

I just want consistency and the much vaunted level playing field. If SF dont intend to enforce the breeches guidelines themselves then they should stop leaning on the clubs to do so. i.e. be honest and tell all the clubs that their policy is to ignore the breeches guidelines for the moment. Nobody likes being told to do one thing whilst the person telling them is doing the exact opposite thing himself.

Neo
-25th October 2004, 14:51
Originally posted by nessyfencer
The problem is that everyone does not have wads of cash and can go out and buy breeches.

You don't exactly need wads of cash, you can pick up a pair of 350N from £29 from gofence (£39 for adults) - not exactly gonna break the bank (though those shiny adidas ones might :P)

Junkie
-25th October 2004, 22:04
I susspect bydande is fully aware of how much goFence charge for a pair of breeches and would love it if ever fencer in scotland without a pair bought them :P

doobarz
-25th October 2004, 22:20
Originally posted by bydande
but kids at my fencing club are being prevented from fencing electric because the SF president has told us to enforce breeches.

How old are these 'kids'?

Neo
-25th October 2004, 22:26
Originally posted by Junkie
I susspect bydande is fully aware of how much goFence charge for a pair of breeches and would love it if ever fencer in scotland without a pair bought them :P

haha. Ya I forgot :P

OT: Bydande, I do rather want a shiny pair of adidas ones though. Bydande, I know Allstar/Uhlmann do em for £227/£148 (15% more to get em tailor made), but how much could you do em for?

bydande
-26th October 2004, 08:33
Doorbarz,
Given that my posting is about one and half years old, the following pieces of information may help you to understand it better.
1. At that time SF was going through an extremely “silly” phase where you couldn’t speak to a board member for more than 30 seconds without them expressing concern over the issue of “insurance”!
2. At that time the BFA website had a page on the subject of kit regulation which contained the following statement “In non electric fencing only, proper breeches may be replaced by full length trouser or track-suit trousers”
3. As a result, a board member of SF told the secretary of my kids fencing club that the club should enforce the rule of wearing breeches when fencing electric – otherwise the club would not be covered in the case of an accident occurring.
4. The club in question is overwhelmingly a kids club with virtually no adult fencers. At that time the kids were predominantly in the range 10-14 years of age.
5. As a result of this “SF instruction” the secretary informed the club that electric fencing without proper breeches was not permitted.
6. For a number of weeks this rule was enforced with a number of kids being unable to fence electric as a result – until it came to our attention that SF board members were not actually enforcing this rule at their own clubs.
7. If SF board members were not prepared to enforce this rule themselves, we thought it quite a cheek that they should try to scare us into doing so and we reverted to the old ways of not needing breeches to fence electric.

Sparks
-27th October 2004, 02:44
Well, from a student point of view, all scottish student competitions (at leats the particularly important ones, i.e BUSA league) have the breeches rule enforced. I know this, as I just had to go through my club equipment reying to find breeches to fit all my fencers for this weekends competition (theres never any the right size.......)

ferailleure
-9th November 2004, 10:53
You may all be interested to hear that at the recent Youth Series foil competition in Glenrothes the "breeches are mandatory" rule was not enforced.

Once again Scottish Fencing says one thing and does another.

For what it is worth I think that breeches should be worn when fencing. This is not always possible in school or beginners classes, but they should be worn for electric fencing in competition and at clubs.