PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiastic Foilist, without a foil.

Tom_W
-12th February 2004, 04:20
Im just back from my second visit to me local fencing club :) wish I had started this ages ago.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for stuff I can be doing between now and next week to help improve my game. Please bare in mind I donít have a foil and only a very basic grasp of fencing terminology.

Any Ideas?

oddball
-12th February 2004, 07:51
try some footwork if you know how. it can be annoying, boring, tiring, painfull and seemingly useless but believe me its worth it in the end!!

foilerist
-12th February 2004, 08:09
you could also rub two coins together in between your thumb and first finger. the first finger coin should be held in between the first and second knuckle. this will help develop some of the finger movements needed to manipulate the foil. you would move the coins forwards and backwards to help with the disengage technique (you will find out how to do this) and in circular actions for other techniques. another good finger exercise is feeding things through your fingers i.e. rulers etc. i got these exercises from an excellent book called "foil fencing" by jes smith. hope this helps

Marcos
-12th February 2004, 10:03
Originally posted by oddball
try some footwork if you know how. it can be annoying, boring, tiring, painfull and seemingly useless but believe me its worth it in the end!!

if you're just learning, the important thing with footwork is to get it right as opposed to speed - take it slow, and just step forward and back in front of a mirror.

when you lunge, stay in the lunge and make sure you are balanced

actually, doing some stretches, light footwork and lunges for 10 mins first thing in the morning leaves you feeling quite good - like yoga

Pointy stick
-12th February 2004, 16:58
You can practise "blade" movements with an open hand, concentrating on turning the hand palm upwards as your arm extends.

Practise standing in the on guard position - ideally in front of a mirror. Think about which way your feet are pointing, whether you are balanced, and whether the imaginary sword in your hand would be covering you against attacks from that side.

Problem is, though, if you don't know what you're aiming for, you may be practising mistakes.

On the whole, if you're keen enough to ask the question, you'll probably be keen enough to correct any obvious mistakes you learn in the first few weeks.

The "Know The Game" book is about £5 and is a good introduction to the basic positions and moves.

Don't try to run before you can walk, though, because you need to get the foundations dug first, however elaborate you hope the roof will be. A good on guard, a good step forwards or backwards, or a good lunge are all less glamorous but more important than an intercontinental ballistic fleche.