PDA

View Full Version : warm up games

DrT
-13th February 2004, 12:52
would anyone like to share their ideas for warm up games and linking games into fencing lessons?

Winwaloe
-17th February 2004, 11:11
Alan Skipp told me some time ago that the BFA were producing a booklet on games etc. Has this been done as yet?

DrT
-17th February 2004, 11:33
Come on! Is everyone hiding their trade secrets? :rolleyes:

Angela Goodall showed me an interesting warm up last week. She divided the class into two groups (attackers and defenders) and had them line up facing each other. The attackers then had to get through the line of defenders.

When they had had a couple of goes, she asked how they got through. The answers were "take them by surprise", "go fast", "wait for an opening" etc. She then put these types of attacks into a fencing context, which helped the class understand different types of simple attack (straight thrust, disengage, ...) and picture good moments to attack.

Anyone got anything similar, or anything in terms of pair games for lunging and footwork?

Marcos
-17th February 2004, 11:52
sounds good - Harps has a similar game

one warm-up is to have all the fencers running in a circle. the master in the middle then throws a tennis ball underarm which the nearest fencer must catch

keeps you alert, reactive and thinking whilst aerobically tired

Winwaloe
-18th February 2004, 16:20
Try a line of fencers in Indian file. Pass a mask over the head of the one in front through the legs of the next etc until the end of the line is reached. Person at back then runs tofront and starts again. Good for flexibility, eye/hand co-ordination and if you have enough fencers for 2 lines they can race. Add to the basic by have 2 or 3 masks+ going at same time - when back person gets to front he/she has to run down to end of hall then back to front of line etc. Also start 1 mask at front and 2 at back going in the opposite direction.

Lay out line of masks/gloves etc and fencers have to weave through them.
Variations can include different type of movement, running, side step, running backwards, lunge on every 3rd post etc.

Horizontal line of fencers - fencer at one end ducks through legs of fencer next to him/her takes their place whilst they duck through legs of next fencer etc. (Did this one with AK where age range must have been 25-55 - interesting!!)

Two lines facing each other- reds and blues - riposting distance - finger tips touching - advance/retire no more than 3 paces keeping distance. Then extend to lunge and step lunge distance. On last 2 movement kept going (back/forth) till coach blows whistle or similar and then designated colour has to lunge/step lunge - See where they end up!

Two lines back and front - front fencers at step lunge distance from back line - on word "Go" back line have to fleche and front line has to get out of the way - With juniors/beginners the back line does not always get there.

These usually keep our youngsters amused for a while

DrT
-18th February 2004, 17:10
Thanks guys- I might go and try some of these tonight :)

oddball
-20th February 2004, 19:04
a good game our coach made us play was "masketball", a mix of basketball, benchball and dodgeball, no other niceties to speak off except the usual no gouging out eyes, disembowling or hospitalizing members of the opposing team.Rugby tackles allowed. To be played in a hall with a concrete floor.

the problem was getting us to stop playing and start fencing afterwards!!!!!!!!!!

Aoife
-24th February 2004, 19:57
Angela Goodall showed me an interesting warm up last week.

Bromely? Couldn't make it this month, hopefully be going in March.

the problem was getting us to stop playing and start fencing afterwards!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmn, trying games with year 7-8s was fun.... I think in future it'll be more of an edn-of-term type activity! :grin:

Rdb811
-24th February 2004, 22:29
Originally posted by Aoife

Woke up that day with a cold which won't clear up properly.

We ddid a wam up last night of tag - when tagged you go into an en garde or lunge psoition - somebody else can dive between your legs to free you. Great fun (even if I twinged a leg muslcle in the process).

DrT
-25th February 2004, 12:54
Originally posted by Aoife

This was at Brighton. I did make it Bromley this month, but I'm not sure I'll be there in March. Depends on which weekend it's on.

I'm learning that playing games with adults is much easier than playing games with kids - adults are far less cunning when it comes to finding loopholes in the rules :dizzy:

I've also been getting the kids to do short shuttle runs, either all together or in relay teams, as part of the warm up. I'm hoping this will help to build up some anaerobic fitness and agility.

What do people think about using fencing footwork in races or similar warm ups? Does the deterioration in the quality of footwork mean this is a bad idea? Is it ok used sparingly?

Marcos
-25th February 2004, 13:19
got a new one at the w/e for footwork

choose a piece of music that you can do footwork to...could be beats of 3, 4, whatever and do a series, say

4 step forward, lunge, recover, step forward, step back

good fun - kinda like aerobics meets fencing - and means that you don;t concentrate on the footwork so becomes more automatic.

oddball
-26th February 2004, 16:55
Depends on fitting the right music to the right type of fencer. Doing footwork to music you hate makes you relate footwork to the music, therefore you end up hating footwork which is not good.

oddball
-26th February 2004, 16:57
Incidentally all this pessimism makes it seem obvious I could NEVER be a coach.....
I would need to fix my fencing first!!

Winwaloe
-1st March 2004, 12:48
three steps, balestra, lunge to a well known piece by Wagner. Just need a few choppers to fly overhead !!

Winwaloe
-1st March 2004, 12:53
"What do people think about using fencing footwork in races or similar warm ups? Does the deterioration in the quality of footwork mean this is a bad idea? Is it ok used sparingly?"

I recall reading in some learned fencing book (or perhaps being told by some equally learned "Professor") that anything more than three, perhaps four steps was a waste of time as a fencer was unlikely to do more than that, in one sequence, whilst fencing. I do have the youngsters going up and down the hall using a variety of fencing type footwork (steps, balestra, lunge etc etc) in a number of sequences. The younger/inexperienced usually end up all over the place and, in an attempt to race those next to them, fall over their feet. However, it does get the legs moving and does build up stamina.

randomsabreur
-1st March 2004, 16:32
Races are OK in their place, particularly if anyone seen doing dire footwork is sent back to the beginning. Alternatively, create a signal which can be given at any point in the race which means that everyone has to stop in a balanced en garde position, anyone not goes back. Then people have to go as fast as they can in a balanced fashion or risk doing it all over again.

Never actually inflicted this on anyone, but could be fun, for the coach at least!

fencingmaster
-7th March 2004, 15:58
A contribution:

1) Two fencers in group have to chase and tag others. When a fencer is tagged they must stand perfectly on guard. Untagged fencers can release tagged fencers by crawling under their legs. Object is for taggers to capture whole group and for group to remain free. Repeat with tagged fencers adopting lunge.

2) Class runs at random. When coach/leader calls '1' fencers adopt on guard facing coach. when coach calls '2' '3' '4' etc fencers must form a group of that number all on guard facing each other. Repeat as lunge.

3) Simon says. You all know this, but the variation is that all fencers start in a line in front of coach and when caught out (instead of leaving the game) cross the room and form a line behind the coach. The last fencer in front of the coach is the winner.

4) coach in fron of class. Left and right hands raised. As left hand remains up fencers advance, when left hand in down fencers retire. When right hand is lowered and raised fencers lunge and recover (or fleche)

5) I don't believe in long sequences of steps/races as footwork deteriorates. Better games where footwork is restricted to max 2 steps (inc half steps) before pause or change of direction.

6)pairs: fencer 'a' does lunge preceded by 0,1, or 2 steps - fencer 'b' maintains distance thenm repeats the attack when 'a' recovers. Sometimes 'a' pause in the lunge to catch any early advance by 'b' (ie immitating remise)

7) sabre: fencer 'a' with sabre, fencer 'b' with mask. 'A' attacks direct to 'b's head (not permitted more than 2 steps with out pause of change of direction), fencer 'b' evades with distance, but then tries to step lunge and touch 'a's sabre guard before 'a' can retire. Score 1 point if a hits head, score 3 points if b evades and manages to touch guard.

DrT
-22nd March 2004, 12:20
The Canadian manuals (see other thread) had an interesting and very simple idea for distance games. If the aim of the game is for a fencer to maintain distance from their partner, simply get each person to hold the end of a bit of string. If it goes slack or is pulled from the hand, then something went a bit wrong ;)

:) -------:)
:( ----\ :(