PDA

View Full Version : competition ref's

Rhubarb
-13th February 2004, 13:35
Fencers should boycott opens etc which are reluctant to provide a decent number of trained and qualified ref's who could be used for at least the last32 in each weapon:eek:

uk_45
-13th February 2004, 16:09
I don't feel the options given in that poll are good for answering the question.

Robert
-13th February 2004, 19:32
Originally posted by Rhubarb
Fencers should boycott opens etc which are reluctant to provide a decent number of trained and qualified ref's who could be used for at least the last32 in each weapon:eek:

Makes no odds to me, I've never made the heady heights of last-32. In most comps this is the 2nd round of DEs so 75% of the fencers aren't affected.

Robert

P.S Might be a more interesting poll to ask for qualified 'suited' ref's for all the pools.

randomsabreur
-14th February 2004, 12:21
And where would you find the 15 or so required for the MS at a major open!

At the men's weapons, a large number of the best ref's in the country are busy fencing, and will do a better job of refereeing their pool than an "independent suited" referee if the organisers have had to scrape the barrel for a ref.

I don't quite understand how the answers fit the question either.

PKT
-21st February 2004, 05:44
Each club should bring one or two qualified refs to the competition and the DT pays them...

It's amazing how a bit, esp. a handsome bit of compensation can encourage people to become refs.

PK

Robert
-23rd February 2004, 10:11
Originally posted by randomsabreur
And where would you find the 15 or so required for the MS at a major open!

At the men's weapons, a large number of the best ref's in the country are busy fencing, and will do a better job of refereeing their pool than an "independent suited" referee if the organisers have had to scrape the barrel for a ref.

I don't quite understand how the answers fit the question either.

Oh you can't, there isn't the money, the training, or the organisation to do it. But you would get a better standard with one non-fencing ref per poule (even if it was just the improved consistency), because the present way 50% of the fencers have to be decent refs (3 people in each poule have to ref to make a poule run).

It might be a something for the BFA to aim for at the biggest events.

Robert

P.S I don't do MS but how many have an entry of 105?

randomsabreur
-24th February 2004, 15:04
OK slight exaggeration, but Bristol Leicester Hamlet (or near enough), Nationals

oddball
-12th March 2004, 18:22
Now inspired to learn to ref. If I'm no good at fencing, I might as well do summat useful!!