PDA

View Full Version : National Fencing Academy, Brunel, West London, 17th April

fencingmaster
-27th March 2011, 22:26
The first National Fencing Academy - London training day is taking place on Sunday the 17th April at Brunel University. This is open for fencers aged 14 - 20 years who have aspirations for or are fencing internationally.

Applications and payments to Katie Dolan at BFA - events@britishfencing.com
Deadline 14th April
Application form at: www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/)
Coaches are also welcome to attend the lectures and training sessions free of charge.

Future training dates are 26 June, 31 July, 4 September, 23 October, 6 November, 27 December.

Jes Smith, Lead Coach

jmayle
-28th March 2011, 21:19
Hi, do you have a programme for the day?

Thanks

fencingmaster
-19th June 2011, 10:38
National Academy Brunel June 26th
The first National Academy Brunel in April was attended by 44 enthusiastic fencers with skills training from weapons coaches and development with S&C as well as input from physiotherapy support. We are expecting to introduce video analysis at future sessions and for the next session our visiting expert is Dr Jonathan Katz working with our weapons coaches.

Previous National Academy fencers should have received their invitations for June 26th. There are still some vacancies and it is not too late for new applicants to join the programme. If you want to be involved go to http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/) to download the application and code of conduct for Brunel.

Enjoy your fencing

Jes Smith
Regional Lead Coach
National Academy Brunel

Cyranna's Father
-19th June 2011, 11:05
at last - one that is near enough to get to! :)

fencingmaster
-19th June 2011, 16:27
Hi, do you have a programme for the day? There are in fact two! As it is the same weekend as EYC. However both have footwork training, S&C with Nat Academy trainer, bladework drills with weapons coaches, a session on "focus" (visualisation and training development) with Nat Academy psychologist and controlled bouts.

fencingmaster
-26th June 2011, 21:00
What an amazing work ethic :not_worth!
Thank you and well done to all those who attended today's session at Brunel.

Hungry Hippo
-28th June 2011, 07:06
Were there many attendees?

Did think it rather foolish to plan it on the weekend of the EYC's, so would imagine the turnout was rather low.

Baldric
-28th June 2011, 07:48
Were there many attendees?

Did think it rather foolish to plan it on the weekend of the EYC's, so would imagine the turnout was rather low.

I don't know what the attendance was at the academy, but remember the EYC oldest agegroup is U15, and the academy target age range is 14-20.

From the EYC perspective, the main impact was making it harder to recruit referees - we traditionally recruit a lot or refs from the older cadet and junior cohorts, and some of the coaches that have volunteered in the past were committed to the academy.

We got there in the end, by the skin of our teeth - mainly thanks to Baldric Jnrs relentless campaign of arm-twisting on Facebook, and with some last minute volunteers. A big thanks to those who volunteered on the day - it was just enough to get us over the threshold for those peak periods when we had all 32 pistes running.

Neil Brown and I discussed the date issue BEFORE the academy was scheduled, and agreed that the infrastructure could probably stand it - just!

I know I keep going on about this, but the bottom line is that we can't manufacture any more weekends, so we have to increase our ability and willingness to have multiple events on the same weekend.

There was also an FIE refereeing training course and (I think) the student 5 nations that weekend.

Ray

fencingmaster
-28th June 2011, 10:35
Were there many attendees? 23 tired fencers at the end of the day. Enough fencers to make it a very worthwhile day. All the coaches were impressed by the work ethic and improvement in pairs technical/tactical training. There was definite progress from the introductory session in April. Next session - July 29th

fencingmaster
-28th June 2011, 19:31
oops sory! That date should read July 31st (July 29th is the 2012 date which might clash with something other than EYCs!)

fencingmaster
-8th July 2011, 14:23
National Academy Brunel 31st July

Applications for the Brunel session on 31st July should go to British Fencing HO as usual (FAO Katie Dolan). However all hands are to the pumps for the European Championships in Sheffield and so there will be no immediate response.

As a safeguard, all fencers intending to attend need also to confirm by e-mail to the Lead Coach at jes@globalnet.co.uk (and copy to Katie).

All fencers are requested to submit a signed code of conduct to BF and any new attendees also need to e-mail a copy of the one-line spreadsheet to the Lead Coach.
Both documents are at: www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development).

Joining instructions will be issued shortly before the session and fencers are reminded that they must bring the statement of fitness (it is the last page of the joining instructions) on the day.

Regards

Jes

fencingmaster
-12th July 2011, 11:40
National Academy Brunel 31st July
The theme of the coming session is “preparations to control and exploit the opponent”.
We will also be using Dartfish video analysis (www.dartfish.com/en/coaching_software/individual-sports.htm (http://www.dartfish.com/en/coaching_software/individual-sports.htm)) provided by highperformance.pro

fencingmaster
-24th August 2011, 08:26
September 4th is the date for next National Academy session at Brunel University.

Fencers who have previously attended National Academy events will have received invitations.
For fencers wishing to attend for the first time details and application can be found at: www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/)
Applications should be sent to events(at)britishfencing.com and confirmed to the lead coach at jes(at)globalnet.co.uk . However, please note that Katie is out of office until 30th August and Jes is on holiday until 2nd September.

Resources for fencers are at:
www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-resources/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-resources/)

(http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-resources/)
Reminder – registration of interest for AASE is due very shortly, see:
www.britishfencing.com/academy/aaseprogramme/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/aaseprogramme/)

Lynne
-25th August 2011, 12:42
As above for Birmingham, except that Lynne is not on holiday :-( and will happily answer any questions you might have about delivery there if you e-mail coach @ teammelia dot org dot uk

Details and appliations are here: http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-talent-development/ and we are looking forward to hearing from you! If that link doesn't work, use the one in Jes's post above - not sure why this one looks different from usual.

fencingmaster
-18th September 2011, 10:24
Reminder:-
www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~jes/Brunel03.wmv (mhtml:%7BA64D98F8-1907-4476-BA55-5FA071116881%7Dmid://00000037/%21x-usc:http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/%7Ejes/Brunel03.wmv)

fencingmaster
-13th October 2011, 16:15
Due to the National Academy International Training being run between Christmas and New Year, there will be NO National Academy regional session on December 27th as originally timetabled.

October & November are as advertised - see previous post.

coach carson
-13th October 2011, 17:31
National Academy clashes with National Academy. My favorite post of the day!! Have we sorted out clashes with Junior Commonwealths and Scottish Schools start week in August 2012?

jmayle
-13th October 2011, 21:37
National Academy clashes with National Academy. My favorite post of the day!! Have we sorted out clashes with Junior Commonwealths and Scottish Schools start week in August 2012?

No, well not with Commonwealth, latest instruction is that if you can make it then you are expected to, junior would really like to be at the closing ceremony with her squad, shame, she will probably have to fly home early if the first Euro Circuit events go to plan.... urrhhh..... that said, the flights back are looking a tad congested, as I have said before - 15 nations - small island - small planes and FOG, all is conspiring against it.

fencingmaster
-24th January 2012, 08:11
Well done and thank you to the 50 fencers and 7 coaches who were at Brunel on 22nd January. Alan Rapley, National Academy Manager, spent the day with us and was well impressed! Half the fencers present were at the beginning of their AASE assessments, and we were supported by John Wyse (Filton College) and Jemma Turner (Skills Active) as well as Academy coaches. With so many diverse activities it was impressive how everyone work together and supported each other, brilliant.

Any fencer who would like a copy of the day's presentation should contact me.

Next Regional Session (inc AASE) at Brunel is April 22nd; there are intervening National Sessions in February & March - see www.britishfencing.com/academy/national_academy_calendar/ (http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/national_academy_calendar/)

Last note: I have a pair of white/blue denim converse trainers - clearly someone went home in their fencing shoes!

fencingmaster
-24th January 2012, 08:18
p.s. anyone who would like a link to the video, please get in touch

fencingmaster
-13th June 2012, 16:04
The next National Academy session at Brunel is 24th June. Fencers have been notified but they need to copy their applications to attand to me a.s.a.p.

Looking ahead, we will be expecting a new intake of AASE fencers next season. If you know of any fencer who will benefit from the programme please direct them to http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/aaseprogramme/ where they can find the appropriate form.

For non-AASE fencers coming into the age group category for National Academy please go to the following link where they can find an application form http://www.britishfencing.com/uploads/files/national_academy_invite_and_application_brunel_oct _11.pdf

Cyranna's Father
-13th June 2012, 16:48
same day as EYC Epee?

Baldric
-13th June 2012, 16:50
same day as EYC Epee?

See post #8 on page 1 of this thread.

Weekends are a finite resource! :)

fencingmaster
-13th June 2012, 17:08
.....and the date (and others) have been booked at Brunel Uni for over a year - I don't have the luxury of being able to change it.

fencingmaster
-21st June 2012, 08:14
The next National Academy session at Brunel is 24th June.
A note for any fencer who has not received the message via BF...
Regretably there is no session for sabreurs on the 24th.Sabreurs are advised if possible to take advantage of the session at Bristol the following week on 1st July

andylymn
-21st June 2012, 11:43
See post #8 on page 1 of this thread.

Weekends are a finite resource! :)

Is that why Foil at EYC has had the day changed so they can attend both if needed????

Baldric
-21st June 2012, 12:14
Is that why Foil at EYC has had the day changed so they can attend both if needed????

No, its unrelated.

We have to get out of the venue on the EYC Sunday by a fixed time, but the foil is both the largest, and the slowest of the weapons.

Leaving the Foil on the Sunday put a great deal of pressure on the armoury team to strip down the halls on the Sunday night - and whilst they have managed this admirably in past years, they suggested after last years event that we swap the days round. It seemed a sensible change, so we implemented it.

Ray

Cyranna's Father
-21st June 2012, 15:27
well if the NA wonder where the young epeeists are (and I seriously hope they do not!) they can just refer to this thread

Foilling Around
-21st June 2012, 22:46
well if the NA wonder where the young epeeists are (and I seriously hope they do not!) they can just refer to this thread

I don't know if you have worked it out, but fencing master is in charge of the NA session at Brunel and as he has contributed to this thread then he obviously is aware!

It has already been pointed out that the other regional sessions have been moved, but Brunel could not shift the weekend.

The clash of dates was spotted well in advance, but could not be avoided

fencingmaster
-21st June 2012, 23:23
.....and the date (and others) have been booked at Brunel Uni for over a year - I don't have the luxury of being able to change it.
...and dates until Jan 2014 are posted here:-
http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/national_academy_calendar/

fencingmaster
-24th June 2012, 21:11
Well done and thank you to all the fencers and coaches at Brunel today. A busy day with S&C, footwork, blade/tactical skills, performance analysis, team communication skills and AASE assessments! Great performances!
(and just for once the epeeists outnumbered the others!)

fencingmaster
-24th June 2012, 21:13
p.s. look forward to seeing everyone in September.:)

fencingmaster
-10th July 2012, 11:26
p.p.s. I'll see some of you sooner in Nottingham which promises to be a great training camp!
http://britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=608

fencingmaster
-2nd September 2012, 16:04
nudge...nudge... Next Brunel session this Sunday Sept 9th.
Because of BF staff involvement in Olympic events no notifications were sent out from them. However I sent out 100 e-mails from various mailing lists. In the event that anyone has not received an invitation (or has not yet responded to me!) please get in touch.
Coaches attending are Jamie Miller, Peter Barratt (epee), Pierre Harper, Paul Sibert (foil) and Phil Shepherd-Foster (sabre).
Four staff, including myself, will also be attanding as AASE assessors - so remember to bring your files!

fencingmaster
-9th September 2012, 18:21
Was it the 'nudge...nudge...' the 100 e-mails or 'the Olympic effect?'
56 fencers at National Academy Brunel!. Well done everyone, brilliant work ethic and application.:not_worth
Thank you to the coaches, S&C (Ivan) and AASE support for your first class input. :o

Left behind Mask (Salle Blanc), electiric foil, r/h glove :dont: please e-mail or PM me.

Session Oct 21 - a.m. Sports Hall p.m. Netball Hall
Session Nov 4 - Netball Hall all day.
Session Dec 31 - cancelled

best wishes to all!

MatFink
-9th September 2012, 22:35
I attended this event today in a purely observational capacity and was genuinely impressed. This represented a step change from what I saw on the Summer Camp a year ago, and to be honest also from the feedback I had from fencers from this summer.

I have been advocating for over 6 years (so before the academy existed) that we needed strong 'super regional' centres that offered good opportunities for fencers to improve fundemental skills and gain access to higher level coaching.

What Jes and his team have achieved in London is just that. There was a well balanced program at every weapon, well delivered and logically presented content. Fencers were constantly engaged and coaches were enthusiastic and hard working. I was particularly impressed with the sabre deliver by Phil Sheppard-Foster and was very grateful of the advice I recieved from him.

Of all the academy activity I have witnessed so far regionally, nationally, and in terms of championship trips this has impressed me the most and by quite a margin. This is exactly the type of delivery we need.

It did however highlight areas where we as a sport need to put in some serious work to prepare athletes to gain maximum benefit from this type of session. If this model can be maintained and replicated all across the country we will be onto a real winner. So, now we have it right, please DON'T CHANGE IT AGAIN. :)

I got a lot out of the day, I would encourage any coach at any level who has the chance to get in touch with Jes and take the opportunity to observe and learn from the excellent training model, attitude and delivery that he and his team have to offer.

Well done everyone involved, coaches, S&C (Ivan), AASE Staff and of course the fencers.

Let's make British Fencing Great!!!

T Parris
-10th September 2012, 10:56
Great to hear that Brunel branch of academy going so well.
Bristol had 48 fencers yesterday and I think they all went away tired and happy!

Keith.A.Smith
-10th September 2012, 20:21
Great to hear this positive news from regional academy sessions. Keep up the good work.

ED_R
-10th September 2012, 20:36
Jes' regional academy has been good from the start IMO. There was a genuine effort to work out what was best and what people felt needed attention from what went before. It has developed steadily since. And he didn't even complain when I turned up an hour late for the pick up after i got caught behind some religious procession en route. It helped to keep us part of things when it was getting harder to keep going.

Keith.A.Smith
-10th September 2012, 20:46
I too have much that is good about Brunel after each session. It shows activities run by professionals who know about the needs and demands of the sport are very likely to be successful.

edge
-11th September 2012, 12:18
Like Edward I think Brunel has gone from strength to strength. The formula appears to be working well, and these "super regional" centres as Matt calls them appear to be correct the mix, ensuring we have adequate numbers of appropriate fencers. If reading between the lines there is a move to go to more "local" regional centres for this level of fencers, I for one would not be in favour, as it would risk diluting a programme which feels close to success.

coach carson
-15th September 2012, 06:56
I'm liking the shift within the national academy to distinguish between national and regional. I've advocated this for years. What we have at the moment is in effect a very good regional structure to build upon.

Sadly, there are still a lot of clubs with their heads in the sand and not sending their youngsters to the regional academy. Do they understand the disservice they are doing by not giving their fencers the benefits of the academy and the chance to step up to national youth teams?

And then at the top end, at the national academy events, please, please, please, please prioritise getting in the best coaches we can afford and make the event fencing coach led, rather than swimming coach managed!

plenty
-15th September 2012, 08:47
Morning professor Higgins, ( c.Carson. )

Brunel is , from what I saw, very good. When I went Pierre Harper was taking the foil squad.. He is highly competent and in my view meets your criteria as very best.

I am focusing now on my u.13 with a view to presenting them to regional academy in year or three, and I am really happy to do so. I am sure others are now thinking this.

I think that with the programme now in place and showing every sign of success and consolidation, that more clubs will follow suit. As concerns national academy, the same can be said, and year on year we will start to see more world class coach presence. The national academy this year was very good, two or three coaches, who work with the athletes element and coach Ed element will be replaced in due course as the heavyweights commit.

The programme structures and course design and concept overall of national academy and regional academy are very good. Now it is a question of ; less is more, let it roll, and over time improvements in manning will turn it from a national level programme into a world class programme.

I would like to see L4 c.p.d coach Ed workshops delivered alongside regional academy, with all levels of coach able to attend, but the tutor being of highest calibre, with a ratio of 1 tutor to four or five coaches. Stooges should be able to attend for free, and no academy fencers should be used for stooging as this distracts from their training. Regular attendance by trainee coaches contributes to a c.p.d diary which can be an element of any annual assessment at the national academy coach Ed.

Of course I should be in charge of this at Brunel :)

Mark

pinkelephant
-15th September 2012, 10:20
Pierre must be very relieved to have met your high standards.

purple
-15th September 2012, 16:36
And then at the top end, at the national academy events, please, please, please, please prioritise getting in the best coaches we can afford and make the event fencing coach led, rather than swimming coach managed!

Having not been involved with the academy system, can you explain what you mean by this please?

plenty
-15th September 2012, 20:31
Hi purple,
He is referring to the fact that c.e.o p.Martin comes from swimming background. And that his influence has impacted on the n.academy trainings in an inappropriate way.

I don't know specifically what his role has been, as minutes aren't sufficient to ascertain, so can't comment with authority. My feeling is the impact was positive.

Kind regards
Mark

coach carson
-16th September 2012, 09:20
Hi purple,
He is referring to the fact that c.e.o p.Martin comes from swimming background. And that his influence has impacted on the n.academy trainings in an inappropriate way.

I don't know specifically what his role has been, as minutes aren't sufficient to ascertain, so can't comment with authority. My feeling is the impact was positive.

Kind regards
Mark

Good grief. I knew they were large, just didn't know they were made of crystal.

fencingmaster
-16th September 2012, 10:06
I'm liking the shift within the national academy to distinguish between national and regional. I've advocated this for years.
Phil, I completely agree, but I think it also depends on the definition of "regional"

coach carson
-16th September 2012, 11:12
Having not been involved with the academy system, can you explain what you mean by this please?

Quite the opposite to what Plenty has presumed. I have enormous amount of time for our CEO and take my hat off to his achievements. But I still maintain that across the sport we need the right balance of enablers (sport managers, volunteers, parents) and those who are leaders within the sport in terms of coaching, refereeing, armoury and of course the fencers themselves. I think a fencing product like the NA would have a different approach and focus if it was coach-led, rather than general sport manager led. That is absolutely not to under-value the contribution of anyone.

coach carson
-16th September 2012, 11:13
Phil, I completely agree, but I think it also depends on the definition of "regional"

I think of regional in terms of the link between clubs and national teams.

plenty
-16th September 2012, 12:13
Hello cc,
Strongly agree with both your posts above.

I have been trying to bring pressure to bear for quite a few months as , despite it saying so in personnel chart, there seems no committee of coaches that advise/ have board representation.. There is also no director of coach Ed at present,, and I see coach Ed as a crucial part of the grow strategy.. Additionally with Ben campion having left and now a new workforce development consultant ( Carl, from rugby background ) on contract till march, I am especially concerned about lack of coach presentation. It does seem that almost exclusively Neil brown is in driving seat.

However, if we consider what has occurred in last three years;
The setting up of academy, which is a very sound strategy for future, and an entirely new approach to the historic problems
The proposal to rationalize subscriptions, which is in line with what the French & Italians do, and is a more professional footing, plus, a) hopefully increasing revenues b) giving much better handle on stats.. With commensurate ability to communicate with currently unenfranchised groups / cater for them.
Plus, linked with academy, is the ethos of LTAD
Plus, having identified drop out demographic regards privately educated kids, the funding and AASE programme seeks to enable more state sector kids, who are longer term contenders.

In short, the above measures constitute a professional overhaul, the kind of which could have been carried by p.m to give credit where credit due. But again, I don't know what, if any, role he and other players fulfilled. One area unfortunately where the wool is being pulled over their eyes is in the mediocrity of coach tutoring.

Kind regards
Mark

fencingmaster
-5th October 2012, 12:14
21st October & 4th November Brunel Academy days are running as usual.

Following commitments to the Olympics and National Academy summer events and with current structural re-organisation BF office have not/are not sending out invitations centrally.

I have compiled an e-mail address list from a number of sources and therefore I hope fencers will have received information or an invitation from me or elsewhere (e.g. AASE). Please let me know if (for any reason) you wish your e-mail address to be added, deleted or amended.

To make application please e-mail me before Oct 14th (for Oct 21st) & before Oct 28th (for Nov 4th), stating i] fencers name, ii] weapon, iii] AASE or non-AASE, iv]EF Region. Joining instructions will be issued on receipt of application. Please note that there were 57 fencers at the September session & we may have to cap numbers, so early application is advisable including AASE fencers.

The setup of the programme was part of the England Development Project and as such used resources and expertise developed for the Academy as well as officer time assigned to this project. However the programme has been set up in such a way that will be sustainable for the long-term. Because of this the sessions cost £40 for each fencer (separate fee for AASE fencers).

This payment can be made by posting a cheque to British Fencing or over the phone to the British Fencing office (there will be a £2 surcharge for this). Please state name of fencer and “Brunel” together with training date(s). [Please note this applies to October 21st & November 4th sessions; new arrangements will be put in place for 2013].

We will cover all three weapons as normal with a full complement of fencing & S&C coaches.

fencingmaster
-5th October 2012, 12:18
p.s.
Could anyone who received a "satisfaction survey" and has not returned it, please do so. Thanks

Keith.A.Smith
-6th October 2012, 07:14
I really hope these sessions continue as I have been told they are really good. Sorry to hear BFA cannot help with them in future.

fencingmaster
-14th October 2012, 17:49
Places are still available for 21st October & 4th November Brunel Academy.
For 21st October applications please let me know NOW if you have not already done so, thanks.

fencingmaster
-19th October 2012, 11:09
Brunel Regional Training Sessions

Changes have been and are currently still taking place within British Fencing and the National Academy. Some of which I have only been notified within the past few days.
http://britishfencing.com/news/latest-news/?n=658
http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/

(http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/)

The effect is that The National Academy no longer has responsibility for the previous Regional Academies, including Brunel. Whilst originally informed that from September 2012 Brunel training was to be autonomous, it is now to be placed under an alternative management structure, which is not yet in place.

Regarding AASE & Brunel; AASE will no longer be delivered via Brunel and alternative delivery arrangements are being put in place for AASE. Whilst, initially, it was indicated that discounts would continue be available to AASE fencers attending Brunel - this is now not the case (cohort 2 will receive nil discount, and cohort 1 will receive a discount for October but not November).

British Fencing has not been able to supply any administrative support. However having received costings from Brunel and sufficient applications from fencers the scheduled sessions for October 21st and Nov 4th will definitely go ahead, albeit with a small reduction in space and staff. Joining instructions & timetable for October 21st have already been sent out to fencers. There are still spaces available for the Nov 4th session.

The session scheduled for January 20th is to be cancelled. This is due to a booking clash at Brunel as they can now only offer a limited 30metres space on the Athletic track. So, following Nov 4th the next date booked for regional training space is April 21st 2013. This leaves time for any new arrangements to be put in place by BF/EF/Regions and notified to fencers.

(NB: Nothing above affects any National sessions at Brunel)

dtd
-19th October 2012, 21:29
I feel rather uneasy about this post, I get the impression of turmoil in the change from National Academy to Regional Hubs.

What is happening to AASE funding?
Will parents be discouraged by paying the full £40 fee per session rather than the discounted AASE rate?
If the Regional Hubs no longer cover AASE training sessions, will there be enough participants to keep them economically viable?

Why was the management structure not set up before the split between National and Regional?
Why are changes ongoing? Why wasn't the restructure all thought through before the start of the season?

Why have British Fencing been unable to supply any administrative support to the Regional Academies? It has been said many times on this forum in the last few months that the future of fencing now lies in the development of youth. I sincerely hope that some of the funding set aside for the National Academy training sessions will now be available for the Regions.

Thank you fencingmaster and all the others who have made the training sessions over the last couple of years such a success. I sincerely hope that all of the Regions continue to flourish and that the focus remains on the training and not on the fight to keep up numbers and retain financial viability.

Keith.A.Smith
-20th October 2012, 19:58
I suggest you contact the new Board or Peter King, the new CEO. I am sure he will be eager to help on these questions.

fencingmaster
-21st October 2012, 19:07
Thank you to all the fencers and coaches who put in such an effort today.
From feedback, you asked for more video analysis and got it - so don't be camera shy!
From feedback, you asked for more variety & S&C and got it - thank you Jon C for the new plyometric workout!

Next session Nov 4th - please note that there are no longer any AASE discounts. Please send full payment for November to BF and applications to me. (I will send out reminders/invitations mid-week, and joining instructions next weekend). In the meantime enjoy the half-term break.

Thanks once again for your continuing support.

MatFink
-22nd October 2012, 22:30
Great feedback about this session again. I am really sorry that I missed it.

I really hope that they find a way to keep this excellent hub up and running at current very high level.

Matt

fencingmaster
-26th October 2012, 20:43
Nudge...nudge... Applications for 4th November at Brunel are due now. Thanks.

fencingmaster
-5th November 2012, 11:24
Yesterday was the last regional training session at Brunel in its current form.

I would like to express my personal thanks and appreciation to the coaches who have contributed so much since we launched in April last year. Thank you to Anthony Turner, Jon Cree & the S&C team who have educated & shaped our young fencers enabling them to better prepare themselves physically. A big thank you to Pierre Harper, Pavel Rynes, Rob Partridge our original coaching trio, and to Steve Davey and Jamie Miller who came on board as the training sessions grew. Thank you also to the coaches who have been willing to step in when needed and be part of the team… Peter Barrett, Paul Sibert, Phil Shepherd-Foster, Graham Stretton, Chris Schofield.

It has been a pleasure to see the fencers develop, not only improving their fencing but working together and supporting each other. Thank you to them and their supportive parents.

My thanks also to Alan Rapley as it was the structure put in place by him that provided the means for all the above to flourish and succeed.

Having earlier written to the CEO my resignation as Lead Coach at Brunel takes effect from today, and we will have to wait and see what will be provided under any new structure as and when implemented.

SAD
-5th November 2012, 19:06
Well done JES you headed up an excellent group of coaches and trainers, It is a shame to see such a shining example of how it could be done going to the wall.

I look forward to seeing if it can come back in one form or another.
All the best
SAD

Keith.A.Smith
-5th November 2012, 20:15
Jes, I have heard really positive comments about the Brunel training sessions.
Really well done on what you have delivered.

purple
-9th November 2012, 20:59
I'm hoping the formula the Academy moves to helps it to grow stronger. After the success at Brunel, I would question why tearing down a program that appears to be productive is a good idea.

fencingmaster
-9th January 2013, 10:00
I have received a number of enquiries regarding Regional Academy training at Brunel in January. Please be aware that the last Brunel Regional session was in November. There are no further regional sessions planned.

I would question why tearing down a program that appears to be productive is a good idea.
Because responsibilities have been passed to individual EF regions.

Baldric
-9th January 2013, 12:16
...and Rochelle is currently working with London and South East to try to get continuity with this.

In fairness to London, they have recently had a change of management, and we know about the sad passing of Roger, who was South East chair.

Rochelle also has all the other 8 regions to work with on this process.

Its most frustrating to have lost the momentum on the great progress made at Brunel, but we are doing our best to regain it.

I will report back as soon as I can.

Ray

Keith.A.Smith
-9th January 2013, 14:49
Thanks for your reply Ray.

I constantly received very positive feedback about Brunel and other regional academy sessions. If EF are now running them, I hope thay can be up and running and funded asap. There was quite a bit of comment about this at the SE regional BYC last Sunday.

fencingmaster
-6th April 2013, 20:37
Its most frustrating to have lost the momentum on the great progress made at Brunel, but we are doing our best to regain it.

It is important that the momentum of AASE does not suffer a similar fate; who is now responsible for it since BF lost the Development Manager, and have not renewed the Academy Manager or Skills Active contracts?

Keith.A.Smith
-6th April 2013, 20:54
Hope this is being addressed by BFA. Both projects seem to have a great deal of merit and I know the regional academy sessions at Brunel and I am sure, in other placers, were very much appreciated by fencers and coaches.

fencingmaster
-21st April 2013, 19:11
http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/

dtd
-21st April 2013, 19:52
BRITISH FENCING NATIONAL ACADEMY

Please note that the National Academy is no longer running. Please watch this space for the replacement talent development programme which will build on the lessons learned from the last few years of development.

Shouldn't a replacement programme be ready to roll out before they stopped the National Academy? When was the announcement made - I know there have been rumblings about it but I never noticed anything official before now.

I can just see the tumbleweed blowing past on the wasteland that youth fencing is heading towards.

So where exactly are the 2024 Olympic hopefuls going to come from?

dtd
-21st April 2013, 20:09
As this thread relates to training sessions at Brunel, I've opened up a new thread on the demise of the National Academy.

SAD
-21st April 2013, 20:52
amazing !/ now that there is nothing to complain about ,that`s wrong as well. British Fencing can never get it right it seems!!