PDA

View Full Version : World Student Games

Foilling Around
-29th March 2011, 20:19
See the link below

http://www.britishfencing.com/news/notices/?n=278

Nice to have plenty of notice. Came up on the BFA website on 28th March, applications by 04 April.

I'm afraid a potential cost of 1500 will probably put many people off. And they only have 7 days to look into possible funding or sponsorship.

Foilling Around
-29th March 2011, 20:28
Having read the criteria document, only a small handful of people will be eligible anyway and many of them are full time fencers and not enrolled as students.

The document itself is only dated 19 March.

Keith.A.Smith
-2nd April 2011, 18:26
I hope we do get a team. In the past BFA managed to fund much of this.

Foilling Around
-2nd April 2011, 22:12
Given that these are the criteria:

(1) A last 16 in a Senior World Cup Individual Event/ or L32 in a Senior World Championships/Senior European Championships in the 12 months immediately prior to the selection date;

(2) A last 8 place in a Junior World Cup Individual Event/Junior World Championships/Junior European Championships in the 12 months immediately prior to the selection date;

(3) A last 8 place as part of a Team competing in a Senior World Cup Team Event/Senior World Championships/Senior European Championships in the 12 months immediately prior to the selection date;

(4) a medal in the Team event at the Junior World/European Championships in the 12 months immediately prior to the selection date.

(5) In addition, British Fencing may select eligible fencers from its Olympic Pathway programme (World Class Podium, World Class Development) as part of their development towards 2016. Fencer selected under (5) will only be selected to fill vacancies not taken by fencers qualified under (1) to (4) above (i.e. no fencer qualified under (1) to (4) above will be displaced by a fencer selected under (5)).

I would love to know how many fencers who are enrolled genuinely at university qualify for the event. But of course if you are on pathway then you don't have to have achieved the criteria.

So those without the advantages of the pathway have to meet the criteria, but those without that back up avoid the need to have achieved. Why don't none pathway fencers get the chance to use this as part of their development for 2016. "All your eggs in one basket" springs to mind".

And by the way, you only have about 10 days to apply, assuming that you noticed that announcement.

Sounds fair to me.

Keith, we may get a few fencers but we won't get a team.

pinkelephant
-2nd April 2011, 23:28
You don't have to be at university - you can have left the previous year, as the event is every 2 years. This allows anybody on a course with an odd number of years the same number of chances.