PDA

View Full Version : Beast Attack?

Pointy stick
-14th February 2004, 09:23
Just signed on this morning and noticed the forum has 666 members.

PM1
-14th February 2004, 09:42
oh my G...............

Mantis
-14th February 2004, 22:57
Fortunately, some of us are not superstitious. :tongue:

OK, own up. How many people went out on Friday for the minimum time possible? :grin:

colliebeast
-16th February 2004, 18:42
but even if we were... its ok coz the forum now has 668 members!
hurruh we can all be safe again!

uk_45
-16th February 2004, 19:35
Ok as I'm guessing some of you out there will know, especaily cristians and Iron Maiden fans (i fall into both) the number 666 is not as much superstition but biblical text, the following exract taken from king james

Revelation 13
18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Rdb811
-16th February 2004, 23:54
Originally posted by colliebeast
but even if we were... its ok coz the forum now has 668

That'll be the neighbour of the beast.

shandydann
-17th February 2004, 08:07
Ah but the number of the beast was appartently 6 to the power of 6 to the power of 6. Not 666 its a mistranslation. According to Robert Heinlein it is also the number of universes or alternate realities. (From his book "The number of the Beast."

Insipiens
-17th February 2004, 12:03
Originally posted by shandydann
Ah but the number of the beast was appartently 6 to the power of 6 to the power of 6. Not 666 its a mistranslation. According to Robert Heinlein it is also the number of universes or alternate realities. (From his book "The number of the Beast."

Ok I cannot manage to cut and paste the original Greek text of Revelations 13:18 but here is a transliteration of the relevant bit:

"kai ho arithmos autou hexakosioi hexakonta hex. "

This translates as 666 not 6 to the power of 6 etc.

:imperial:

shandydann
-17th February 2004, 12:30
I stand corrected

Pointy stick
-17th February 2004, 16:41
Wow! One person trying to differentiate between Biblical text and superstition, and another quoting Heinlein. As an atheist, secularist and left of centre liberal I really feel in my element.:moon:

Peanut_UK
-17th February 2004, 17:25
You're all wrong anyway. Number of the Beast (or "NoB" ) is just a great Iron Maiden song... :rockon:

uk_45
-17th February 2004, 18:02
Originally posted by Insipiens
Ok I cannot manage to cut and paste the original Greek text of Revelations 13:18 but here is a transliteration of the relevant bit:

"kai ho arithmos autou hexakosioi hexakonta hex. "

This translates as 666 not 6 to the power of 6 etc.

:imperial:

Six hundred threescore and six.

six hundred is simple so is 6, a score i equal to tweenty there for 3 scroe equals 60 there for: 600+3(20)+6=666

Dont know where you got the to the power of from.

And penut i'll give you it's a great song there is nothing like seeing maiden live, that why in my first post i said as iron maiden fans will know.

Tarmac
-17th February 2004, 18:08
i believe the number of the beast is based upon a numbering system of the judaic alphabet and is in fact referring to Nebuchadnezzer who was not a very nice fellow to say the least. 666 is the total that his name comes to in this numerical system.
well, its a theory... :tongue:

uk_45
-17th February 2004, 18:10
Many people have tried to work it out and got it to be different people the two big ones are Nebuchadnezzer and hitler! Nest question who is member number 666 then!

Pointy stick
-17th February 2004, 18:50
Originally posted by Peanut_UK
You're all wrong anyway. Number of the Beast (or "NoB" ) is just a great Iron Maiden song...

Tut! What is the world coming to when Iron Maiden fans punctuate so perfectly? You'll be ironing creases in your jeans next. :tongue:

I saw them live once (Iron Maiden, not your jeans) and my main memories are of considerable loudness and a remarkably sticky floor.

Tom_W
-17th February 2004, 21:01
Well im #662. so it look like the dubious honour goes to........

Seth Twilight

congrats!

oh.... im not a number!!! :)

Rdb811
-17th February 2004, 23:25
There isan alternate translation which comes out as 616.

Pointy stick
-18th February 2004, 06:35
Originally posted by Rdb811
There is an alternate translation which comes out as 616.

I think you'll find that the 666 comes up out of the sea, along the main street and turns left at the Co-Op. The 616 goes straight on at the Co-Op and turns left at the war memorial.

Dalby
-20th February 2004, 12:27
Originally posted by Tarmac
i believe the number of the beast is based upon a numbering system of the judaic alphabet and is in fact referring to Nebuchadnezzer who was not a very nice fellow to say the least. 666 is the total that his name comes to in this numerical system.
well, its a theory... :tongue:

I'd heard the same theory, but they'd come up with NRN = Neron (Nero to us), who was also a bit of a fruit-loop and, at the time, rather more of an immediate threat than Nebuchadnezzer (who'd been dead for a few centuries an' all).

uk_45
-20th February 2004, 12:38
And member 666 is *drum Roll please* 'Seth Twilight' but im sure he is not the beast at all!

Peanut_UK
-20th February 2004, 14:36
Originally posted by Pointy stick
Tut! What is the world coming to when Iron Maiden fans punctuate so perfectly? You'll be ironing creases in your jeans next. :tongue:

I saw them live once (Iron Maiden, not your jeans) and my main memories are of considerable loudness and a remarkably sticky floor.

:lolbash:

Peanut_UK
-20th February 2004, 14:45
You're all still wrong! (http://egomania.nu/gates.html)

And I came across this (http://www.theonion.com/onion3121/billgates.html) looking for the above link. Funny. Almost as good as The Onion's "Microsoft Patent 1's and 0's" story...

Hail Santa.

Neo
-9th November 2004, 00:21
Originally posted by uk_45
Ok as I'm guessing some of you out there will know, especaily cristians and Iron Maiden fans (i fall into both) the number 666 is not as much superstition but biblical text, the following exract taken from king james

Revelation 13
18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Some say its read upside down. It should actually be 999 (and no you can't go phone the devil...)

iron maiden fan
-9th November 2004, 12:37
Originally posted by Rdb811
That'll be the neighbour of the beast.

666 the numer of the beast
664 the bloke next door.