PDA

View Full Version : Trainging Aids

jonny
-14th February 2004, 19:53
Has anyone had any experience with Training Aids? Maybe a silly question but do they register off target hits?

foilerist
-14th February 2004, 20:03
do you mean those things you strap to your wrist? if you do then a couple of fencers at the club have got them for both epee and foil and they only register hits whether off target or not.

Pointy stick
-14th February 2004, 21:24
I've recently borrowed one. It fits round the wrist, and plugs into the foil like a body wire would. There are similar models which you wear on your belt and connect to your normal body wire.

All they do is register the circuit made when the foil tip is depressed, and they can't take into account whether you've hit the floor, the leg, or a wired-in lame.

So, you can use them 3 ways:
1) For pretending you're fighting epee...;)
2) For a practice bout where you only need to know whether a hit fixed properly, and you can trust your opponent (or a referee) to say whether or not it was on target.
3) To practise flick hits, or similar, where you need to be satisfied that you are fixing the point sufficiently to depress the tip.

I have used one only for (3), although I keep hoping to try (2) as well.

Useful training at home: place a number of (soft) circular drinks coasters on the treads of your stairs, ranging from about chest height to just over shoulder height. Practise flicking onto them. It sort of works for me.

Another use is for testing your foil. I had to repair a wire today (snapped just inside the guard) and I found the tester a handy device for checking each stage of reassembly of the guard, socket, pad and grip. (It took several attempts to get it sorted without a short circuit.)

sparkymark567
-15th February 2004, 11:31
Have you seen these.

http://www.phaedrusltd.co.uk/pages/html/foilmaster.html

bit stupid me giving you the link, as I wouldn't recommend them.
They arn't very reliable and hits to the gaurd and mask sometimes register as on-target

Good idea though.

Robert
-15th February 2004, 14:01
Originally posted by sparkymark567
bit stupid me giving you the link, as I wouldn't recommend them.
They arn't very reliable and hits to the gaurd and mask sometimes register as on-target

Good idea though.

They also aren't available at the moment (haven't been since early last year). I email every so often (thanks for the reminder) and the manufacturer gives me the same sort of answer 'working on it, will be available in a few months'.

I think they are aware of the problems mentioned (someone else also mentioned they can give off target on the lame) and are finding them harder to fix than they expected.

If they can resolve the problems, at this price (less than a foil), I think we are looking at the future of electric foil.

Robert

P.S I use the training aid to perform weight checks on my foil before going to a comp.

sparkymark567
-16th February 2004, 00:36
I don't beleive they will ever work reliably, but you have to admire them for trying. as with the wireless fencing thing.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic (as per usual).

jonny
-16th February 2004, 10:11
Hmm well thanks for the advice, pity noones really had any great experiences with these things (and I'd really need them to tell if the hit was off target) :(

Petch66
-20th February 2004, 19:25
I no its the wrong forum but I've had good experiances with the LP epee one. Very useful for outside practices when theres no room inside. Also good for practicing lunges and distance for doing so.

symon
-20th February 2004, 19:51
I've just bought the LP ( Code: CF20 NEW ) Foil Electronic Coaching aid/tester Priced @ 32.95 and work wonderfully!! have a look for yourelf on HTTP//www.leonpaul.com/acatalog/copy_of_new_products.html

Robert
-23rd February 2004, 10:16
I don't beleive they will ever work reliably, but you have to admire them for trying. as with the wireless fencing thing.

Sorry, I've gone a bit off topic (as per usual).

Had the same response again. " Still trying to fix the problems, another couple of months".

Robert

sparkymark567
-26th February 2004, 23:27
It was over 18 months ago when I tried them.
Same problem then.

When I said I don't believe they'll ever work reliably, I meant to say it from a technical stand point. It's virtually imposs.

I wouldn't wait arround for them if I were you.
You could be waiting a very long time (i.e. forever).

It's the same old problem; and the reason why all wireless systems have failed to work reliably.

rusty1109
-28th February 2004, 12:22
Hi,
i'm well new to these forums and not surprisingly fencing so don't laugh (please :) ) but boxers etc have punchbags and straw dummies don't we have motorised mannikens or something?
just wondered
cheers
rusty

Robert
-28th February 2004, 21:47
When I said I don't believe they'll ever work reliably, I meant to say it from a technical stand point. It's virtually imposs.

I am in two minds. Either it is soluble and we will have them very soon, or the problems are insoluble and they still won't be working in 50 years.

To be fair they are now working to a fair degree at Sabre World Champs I understand.

Robert

jonny
-29th February 2004, 12:10
Punchbags/Dummies?
I think in fencing we call them "Newbies" :)

Prime Foilist
-5th March 2004, 13:20
There are things you can utilise instead of 'punch bags'. For example, puting a 2p piece on string and tying it to a tree/something like it and then practicing to see if you can hit it by lunging/fleching etc. Maybe an old fashioned technique and scorned by some but this does really improve your aim. Also reprising the length of a hall or seeing how long you can keep the En Guarde position help your general technique.

oddball
-5th March 2004, 19:16
Hmmm, might try it.