PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Duel - 1 Hit epee

Beren
-16th February 2004, 16:45
Dundee fencing club are holding the Dundee Duel again this year on the 13th of March.
Last year the event was a huge success and great fun (with lots of prizes) for all involved.
It's a 1 hit epee competition which is always exciting and a good excuse for anyone to pick up an epee and have a go. Last year a sabreur managed to take second place for goodness sake.
So far as well as the locals we have 14 highly experienced German fencers coming over from our sister club in Hamburg entered in the competition. We want to make sure that the trophy stays in Britain so now is the time to rouse your national pride and come and give them a competition worth remembering.
The event takes place in Dundee Uni a really excellent venue.

There will also be a party afterwards in an obliging local hostelry where the weary epeeists can quench their thirst and amuse us all with a rendition of their club song.

If you want to enter or want any more information then get in touch.
Beren

uk_45
-16th February 2004, 17:10
Hmm might go as i am a sabreur that snacthed a gold in club epee.

Beren
-17th February 2004, 07:43
Well it would be great to see you there.
We certainly promise a fun day for anyone who enters
If you want any more details then phone 01307 460059
ask for Beren or Susan

Beren

NLSC Sabreur
-17th February 2004, 10:56
Hello Beren

I fenced with you at Dundee Uni about 90-93. I might be remembered under the nickname Axeman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about the Scottish International/Edinburgh Open?

Last year I was up in Edinburgh and I was suprised to see no Dundee fencers around that weekend. It seems very silly to schedule your event on the same weekend as the biggest open competition in Scotland when Edinburgh is only an hour or so away from Dundee.

-----------------------------------------------------
After that brief interlude.

I think you are a GP now?

I guess Paul and maybe Christina are leading the Hamburg team? So please say hello to them and anyone else who might remember me.

Andrew

Beren
-17th February 2004, 12:00
Hi Andrew
We were originally going to hold it the weekend before but the venue got double booked.
To be honest we aren't too worried because our competition is on the saturday and quite afew of us will be going through on the sunday to fence in the Edinburgh epee.
Sure if people want to go to an FIE competition then I expect they'll go to Edinburgh but if you're looking for a fun day with some quality competitors (we are talking at least 1 former hungarian national squad fencer here along with one of Germany's top ranked epee clubs) then you really can't do better than our event and still make it to Edinburgh the next day if you want to go.

Anyway that aside how are you Axe? Where are you these days?
Your right I am a GP now and doing the coaching in Dundee.
Get in touch
Beren

natsgrant
-29th February 2004, 15:05
Sadly, I'm not in Scotland now and can't go, but...

EVERYONE INTERESTED:

I attended this event last year and it was BRILLIANT!

As a brand new fencer, this was one of the best events attended (the best being the Inverclyde Open).

The Dundee Duel was a lot of fun and everyone there seemed to have a brilliant time. I wasn't bored of hanging around and the atmosphere was great from start to finish.

You should all go.... You can still go to Edinburgh the next day.

Enjoy!

NLSC Sabreur
-5th March 2004, 13:41
Originally posted by Beren
Hi Andrew
We were originally going to hold it the weekend before but the venue got double booked.
To be honest we aren't too worried because our competition is on the saturday and quite afew of us will be going through on the sunday to fence in the Edinburgh epee.
Sure if people want to go to an FIE competition then I expect they'll go to Edinburgh but if you're looking for a fun day with some quality competitors (we are talking at least 1 former hungarian national squad fencer here along with one of Germany's top ranked epee clubs) then you really can't do better than our event and still make it to Edinburgh the next day if you want to go.

Anyway that aside how are you Axe? Where are you these days?
Your right I am a GP now and doing the coaching in Dundee.
Get in touch
Beren

Hi Beren

Aha, I had got it in my head that the Edinburgh epee was also on Saturday.

I have a boring office job which is ok. I'm officially a coach at North London Sabre Club for insurance purposes (I think there is some reason to have 3 rather 2 coaches) but I very rarely do any coaching. In name I am club chairman (but the main coach and treasurer make the decisions) and I was made (and certainly not willingly) child protection officer.

The last 3 or so years I've done quite a lot of fencing. In the beginning of Feb rankings I'm 20th in UK. Last season fenced in Sweden and Finland and ended 163rd in the FIE world sabre rankings.

I will come along on the Sunday and hope to meet up with you there.

Andrew