PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

Winwaloe
-17th February 2004, 11:15
The price of old equipment sold on ebay is quite silly. Who on earth is buying old gear for only slightly less than new can be bought for. If it is people new to fencing then perhaps club's should put up some type of "warning" notice on the club board to save these poor souls from wasting their money. (Should point out that I recognise there are some great bargains to be had as well and have bought a few myself).

Saxon
-17th February 2004, 12:19
Just imagine how much old (and in many cases completely unsafe) kit will be sold as the Jan 2006 deadline approaches.

Scary.

Winwaloe
-18th February 2004, 16:06
Well i will have circa 40 jackets, plastrons and masks - got a buyer!!??

Insipiens
-8th March 2004, 12:39
Originally posted by Saxon
Just imagine how much old (and in many cases completely unsafe) kit will be sold as the Jan 2006 deadline approaches.

Scary.

That would be the kit that is perfectly safe now and on 31 December 2005 but the next will be banned.

How many clubs are going to get full spec kit for all their beginners classes in one go?

Given the lack of accidents with your basic kit anyway aren't the new rules excessively and unrealistically stringent?

pinkelephant
-8th March 2004, 13:14
Originally posted by Insipiens

How many clubs are going to get full spec kit for all their beginners classes in one go?

Why "in one go"? I've been steadily upgrading beginners' stuff for the last four years, and have now replaced it all with 18 months to spare.

In any case, the old stuf is NOT necessarily safe. Before I had replaced the jackets one of my fencers had a very close shave with one of the old beginners' jackets, which was not particularly worn. An UNBROKEN electric foil blade went through the hole for the bodywire in the glove, made 2 holes in the sleeve of the jacket (coming out and going in again), went inside the sleeve of the plastron, and made a long graze right across his chest. Scary.

Unfortunately, kit has a tendency to be presumed safe unless proved otherwise - and that is too great a risk to take. I have a rolling programme of replacement of masks, so that no mask is more than 4 years old. This means replacing 5 per year, and this is budgeted for alongside replacement blades, rewires etc.

"Awards for all" can also help - one of the criteria for which they are likely to provide money is to update equipment to new safety standards.

Rdb811
-9th March 2004, 00:39
Originally posted by pinkelephant

"Awards for all" can also help - one of the criteria for which they are likely to provide money is to update equipment to new safety standards.

I thought you couldn't get it for renewals.

Aoife
-28th March 2004, 14:17
Every now and then I come across Jasco stuff on Ebay... not even 350N most of it.

I can't think who's buying a lot of it, because experianced fencers would know it was worn out and potentially dangerous- which means it's beginner fencers, which is even more worrying. Hopefully their clubs will examine their 'new kit' and point out if it's a problem.

uk_45
-28th March 2004, 15:08
It ought to be pointed out Jasco most centinaly don't exsist any more as the company called Jasco sells paint!

Rdb811
-28th March 2004, 20:10
I though Jasco did wall planners - the sort of things that get put in January and then not updated when you try and book summer holidays.

PM1
-28th March 2004, 22:11
That'll be SASCO, dear....ah me...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: