PDA

View Full Version : The knockouts are up

Dave Hillier
-17th February 2004, 15:19
http://www.busaresults.org.uk/sport.asp?SportId=11

Our lot have got newcastle away (bloody hell that's miles away).

Marcos
-17th February 2004, 16:07
Hokers, our alma mater, UEA, won 6 and lost just 1 !
http://www.busaresults.org.uk/league.asp?leagueid=5135
unluckily qualified for the shield and not the championship through goal difference.

Still they have Surrey in the next round - com'on the blues!

whizzkid1982
-17th February 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Dave Hillier
http://www.busaresults.org.uk/sport.asp?SportId=11

Our lot have got newcastle away (bloody hell that's miles away).

we welcome you with open arms!! if you need places to stay/ guide to a good night out we should be able to sort something out!!

also who is on your team these days???

indigogecko
-18th February 2004, 15:27
:upset: we got UCL...

randomsabreur
-19th February 2004, 11:50
And we've got Southampton away, bit of a trek, especially in the middle of my exams but that's life

Dave Hillier
-20th February 2004, 11:20
Southampton away, bit of a trek,

It is about an hour down the A34!!

also who is on your team these days???

ah now that would be telling (But not me this year)

whizzkid1982
-20th February 2004, 12:00
ah now that would be telling (But not me this year) [/B][/QUOTE]

i take it you are in touch with them? if they want to get in contact before they come you can PM me and i can give you my mobile number to pass on.

The Little Un
-20th February 2004, 12:43
Dear Dave,
Life sucks but hey that is what Gods send you for your ladies team being the only one that has beaten our ladies team this year..........................lol

Love,
Judy

Dave Hillier
-24th February 2004, 11:06
ah now that would be telling (But not me this year)

Change of plan apparently it is me tommorow for my first teams match in a year.

ah the joys of being able to drive minibuses.

whizzkid1982
-24th February 2004, 18:39
well we see you on wednesday then!!!

Aer
-27th February 2004, 12:41
that newcastle soton match mustve been nerve-racking.....

whizzkid1982
-27th February 2004, 13:00
just a bit. even worse when we had lost the foil 43-12. one of our spools broke and so that when you tugged it and hit it gave a white light. didn't notice til they got to 30 though!!! won the sabre 45-17 and the epee 45-40. should have seen me and jambo pacing the hall with nothing to do during the epee. was really quite funny!! off to the mighty cambridge now!

Dave Hillier
-27th February 2004, 14:25
It all came down to the last fight in the epee when our "good" epeeist finally decided to wake up.

It was good to meet Jambo, Wizzkid and the rest of the newcastle guys.

Good Luck with Cambridge.

Dave

doobarz
-4th March 2004, 22:51
Well, the semi-final draws are up...

Mens:

UCL vs Northumbria
Nottingham vs Cambridge or Newcastle

Womens

Oxford vs Cambridge or Bristol
Northumbria vs Durham

UglyBug
-5th March 2004, 08:18
Don't forget the semi-finals are randomly drawn on the day so Durham and Northumbria may avoid each other this year. Long way to travel to meet the team from up the road!!

Marcos
-5th March 2004, 08:47
Originally posted by Marcos
Hokers, our alma mater, UEA, won 6 and lost just 1 !

unluckily qualified for the shield and not the championship through goal difference.

- com'on the blues!

UEA are through to the semi's of the shield!!!
:mexwave:

doobarz
-5th March 2004, 11:21
Originally posted by UglyBug
Don't forget the semi-finals are randomly drawn on the day so Durham and Northumbria may avoid each other this year. Long way to travel to meet the team from up the road!!

So why have they muddled the order now? Can we confirm if this is the draw?

UglyBug
-5th March 2004, 11:59
What happens is they publish the tableau and fence off down to the last 4. This makes it appear as though you already have a confirmed draw.

What then happens on Finals day is that the names of the teams are put into the trophy and redrawn for the semi-finals. Therefore, you never know the draw until the day. It's been like that forever.

UglyBug
-5th March 2004, 12:37
Have just remembered that this may have not been the case last year.... there was some confusion. Anyway, just bear in mind that the published draw is not necessarily what will happen!!

doobarz
-5th March 2004, 14:30
Anyone been asked to referee yet?

whizzkid1982
-5th March 2004, 15:06
Originally posted by doobarz
Anyone been asked to referee yet?

talk to suze wesley.

UglyBug
-5th March 2004, 15:27
Situation on referees is that we are still recruiting as it were.

However, what we are trying to avoid is the situation that we have too many referees for one weapon and not another. If you are interested in refereeing, please PM me (or e-mail me if you can - I just don't want to post my e-mail address) with an e-mail address and phone number if I haven't got it and I'll put you on the preliminary list. Then I'll look at the number I've got and the weapon balance and contact the people needed accordingly.

Keith.A.Smith
-7th March 2004, 21:52
Dear All,

Can you tell me when the semi finals are being held and where? If I am free I would like to pop along and ref.

Keith

UglyBug
-8th March 2004, 07:17
Keith - I have PM'd you details

Naimst
-16th March 2004, 23:32
The draw that is now up is the randomly drawn draw. They stopped drawing on the day last year when a new bod took over Fencing at BUSA.

Now they re-draw it at the office weeks in advance leaving us to wonder why we are travelling 200 miles down the road knowing that we are to fence a team who are less an 20 miles away from us!

Irritating me thinks

UglyBug
-17th March 2004, 08:37
To be fair, the other semi is Oxford v Cambridge as it is every year as well. Bet they're irritated too

randomsabreur
-17th March 2004, 16:12
Yep, 4th Match of the season!!!!!!

And they're 2-1 up, tho we won on the only occasion we had a full team.

Marky Irish
-17th March 2004, 16:28
does anyone want to put their predicitons up about who is going to win each match, overall etc.?

Mens

UCL v Northumbria
Cambridge v Nottingham

Womens
Oxford v Cambridge
Durham v Northumbria

Naimst
-17th March 2004, 22:57
I reckon....

Mens Final will be Northumbria v Cambridge....repeat of last year. Not sure who will come out on top.....Cambridge again probably.

And as for the womens.....I really wouldn't like to say!!! (Being in it and all!!)

whizzkid1982
-18th March 2004, 09:19
Originally posted by Marky Irish
does anyone want to put their predicitons up about who is going to win each match, overall etc.?

Mens

UCL v Northumbria
Cambridge v Nottingham

Womens
Oxford v Cambridge
Durham v Northumbria

Men's
Northumbria-Cambridge final, Cambridge to win

Women's
Oxford-Northumbria, Northumbria to win

personally i think that the womens may be more interesting than the mens although cambridge northumbria at sabre will be fun in the mens. good luck keith if you are there!!!!

Chris
-18th March 2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Marky Irish

Mens

UCL v Northumbria
Cambridge v Nottingham

Womens
Oxford v Cambridge
Durham v Northumbria

Durham all the way :)

I am slightly biased though.

randomsabreur
-19th March 2004, 17:18
I suppose the biased view is that Oxford will win it, but it is really a case of taking it 1 step at a time.

From looking at previous results, I guess Northumbria will shade the other semi tho'

The interesting thing is that all the individual champions are involved in the women's matches, along with 2 of the 2nd places. Dunno where it stands on the men's.

Chris
-20th March 2004, 16:54
Anyone know the results? Only message I've got is that Northumbria are in the final (damn them :P) Was a good fight apparently though - very close up till the epee.

doobarz
-20th March 2004, 17:22
Mens Semi

Northumbria bt UCl

Cambridge bt Nottingham

Womens Semi

Northumbria bt Durham

Keith.A.Smith
-20th March 2004, 21:10
Congratulations to Northumbria University who won the Women's team Championships over Oxford and to Cambridge who won the Men's Team championships over Northumbria.

In the Shield events Birmingham won the Men's and Kent the Women's titles.

Well done to Mike Whitehouse for organising the event and to BUSA themeselves.

Above all well done to all the fencers for a competitive and high spirited day.

Cambridge Men and Northunbria Women please send your team photos to BFA asap. and ideally a copy to Malclm Fare for the Sword. Act quickly.

Keith

randomsabreur
-22nd March 2004, 12:50
I'd like to reiterate the thanks to the organisers, it was fun, but much too much like hard work!

Congrats to Cambridge and Northumbria.

bufc99
-23rd March 2004, 14:15
Men's 1st Shield

Birmingham bt UEA 135 - 97

Well done to all that took part, it was a good watch all day long.

Thanks to all the organisers and ref's etc.

whizzkid1982
-24th March 2004, 11:59
did anyone pick up a sabre that was left lying around. i was the fool who left it behind!!!

it has a duellist guard, uhllman pad, allstar handle, pbt blade, two pin socket, and some grey duct tape on the guard!

if anyone has it could they pm me? cheers

randomsabreur
-24th March 2004, 12:18
John Kennedy has it I believe, I think he knows who you are!

Incidentally, did anyone happen to pick up a sabre that is named Hugh Jackson, (I swapped guards with him a while back), has a LP guard, gold allstar blade, black plastic handle and LP socket. I seem to have misplaced it

PM me if you do

Ta

Marcos
-24th March 2004, 12:23
Originally posted by whizzkid1982
did anyone pick up a sabre that was left lying around. i was the fool who left it behind!!!

it has a duellist guard, uhllman pad, allstar handle, pbt blade, two pin socket, and some grey duct tape on the guard!

if anyone has it could they pm me? cheers

how about that for brand loyalty

shame about UEA losing - still, a great result to get as far as they did

UglyBug
-24th March 2004, 12:48
The Domek show certainly was quite formidable! Incidentally to those who left kit - whizzkid, you weren't fencing, so leaving kit was a definite achievement - am pleased you are asking now about it rather than one fencer who appeared at the BUSA individual checkin, asking if anyone had seen his foil. He was asked when he last had it and he merrily informed us that he had left it at the BUSA inds 12 months before and hadn't thought to ask before!!

randomsabreur
-24th March 2004, 13:06
The funniest thing was when I went to the armoury at the individuals this year to get my pointy weapons checked, and they had my glove and overlay that I HAD left there the year before, and that I had thought I had lost in my room at uni and not at the competition!!! I was quite surprised when I recognised my scruffy overlay!

whizzkid1982
-25th March 2004, 18:24
Originally posted by UglyBug
The Domek show certainly was quite formidable! Incidentally to those who left kit - whizzkid, you weren't fencing, so leaving kit was a definite achievement - am pleased you are asking now about it rather than one fencer who appeared at the BUSA individual checkin, asking if anyone had seen his foil. He was asked when he last had it and he merrily informed us that he had left it at the BUSA inds 12 months before and hadn't thought to ask before!!

girlfriend needed a spare so i brought one of mine!! but yes still an achievment.