PDA

View Full Version : bizzar sabre story

Ben Draper
-17th February 2004, 17:44
having recently recived a large order of equipment from paul I was eager to test some of our clubs shiny new swords.
the first electric sabre bout went without a hitch, both weapons (one brand new and one quite old) working fine
the second bout using the new weapon and a friends new(ish) weapon had some interesting hits.
basically when the blades met, sometimes, and only sometimes, the box would register a hit. we changed the weapons around and sibstituted everything we could find to narrow down the problem.
to cut a long story short, this issue only appears to arrise when the two specific weapons were pluged into the box only one way around, and only sometimes would they register the hits.

if you understand what I've inexpertly tried to describe and you have experianced somthing simlar or could think of a reason for this strange events could you please respond.
I don't want to send the sword back to paul, we've only just got it :(

thanks
Ben Draper
Hull University

uk_45
-17th February 2004, 18:24
Short circuit between guard and lame. This happens on non earthed boxes when the guard touches the lame - the blade gets the same charge ad the lame

doobarz
-17th February 2004, 18:42
Ensure the metal at the bottom of the handle is covered - LX Tape will do.

hayleyjade
-18th February 2004, 09:43
Originally posted by uk_45
Short circuit between guard and lame. This happens on non earthed boxes when the guard touches the lame - the blade gets the same charge ad the lame

teehee! i was doping this alot the other day, only found out i was cheating after it had been pointed out to me, and i don't think it helped that my lame had a dead spot covering nearly all of it!

uk_45
-18th February 2004, 18:21
Im your Lame had i large dead spot it would of helded the bigger the dead spot the bigger the help LOL shame i think its a red card straight off for it!

hayleyjade
-18th February 2004, 18:44
*stratches head* eh? what are you on about!

i didnt get sent off, was the clubs lame, so i switched when i finally got off the piste!

doobarz
-18th February 2004, 19:37
Originally posted by hayleyjade
i didnt get sent off

When he says 'red card straight off' he doesn't mean you get sent off, but that a red card should be given - which I don't actually think is what the rules say for faulty kit...

Ben Draper
-21st February 2004, 19:59
thanks for your advice everyone, I've not actualy got around to sorting out the problem yet, but I'm going to try and do it before wednesday.
thanks again

Ben Draper
Hull university

Australian
-21st February 2004, 20:14
Originally posted by doobarz
When he says 'red card straight off' he doesn't mean you get sent off, but that a red card should be given - which I don't actually think is what the rules say for faulty kit...

actually i think the comment was that the equipment was so bad that rather than the yellow card for equipment not conforming to regulations, it should recieve a red card... in jest i assume

PKT
-15th March 2004, 05:18
Originally posted by hayleyjade
... my lame had a dead spot covering nearly all of it!

in case you don't already know, you can use silver thread to mend the dead spot and make it work again. it helps if the dead spot is not too big or you'll have to do a lot of sewing, like i did. the arm of my lame' went dead, after alot of criss-cross sewing, it now works again. so it's now my practice lame'.

here's a source:
http://members.shaw.ca/ubik/thread/questions.html

i always carry this in my fencing bag - with needles of course - and in one tourney this thread saved my clubmate's and my skin. the armouror ruled that my 3-month old X-change mask's bib's resistence was too high - we figured out it was the aluminium track that's the cause of that - so we shortcircuited it by using the sliver thread to link it to the steel bits of the mask.

my clubmate's overglove had a dead spot in it.

out came the needle and silver thread and both items passed...

PK