PDA

View Full Version : Naked?

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 11:31
Do any other dedicated foilists, who only ever fence electric, feel naked without their lame jacket on?

I had to double up and fence epee (for the first time in two years or so...) at a team competition last weekend. I felt REALLY exposed without a lame jacket on top of my normal fencing kit

(maybe it doesn't help that my fencing jacket is looser than my lame jacket - so I don't feel so snuggly wrapped up without my lame on...)

Boo
(apologises for any bruises that her "not too delicate" epee technique probably inflicted...)

srb
-18th February 2004, 11:34
I saw Boo Boo naked!!!

srb:)

srb
-18th February 2004, 11:43
Hang on a minute, using that logic means that Dave Hillier has seen me naked!!!

srb:dizzy:

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 11:48
It's more the feeling of being naked, than looking as though you are naked (I hope!)

Boo

twohappyhippos
-18th February 2004, 11:56
hey boo boo, yup my elbow was pretty blue and green after you'd finished with it! But dont worry!!!!
yeh i know, when i was a foilist (yes i was one once, nobody laugh!) and fenced without a lame, i did feel sooooooo naked!!! it just didnt seem right!!! Glad i wasnt the only person out there who also felt the same!

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 12:11
Ooppss, sorry 2HH - I tend to forget that Epee blades don't have the same bendiness/give as foil blades... :(. I also apologise for the fleche to neck that I attempted at the end - thought it was worth a try, but hand before feet would have been a better way to execute it...! :(

Still, it was nice to do a different weapon for a change and you were a pleasure to fence: a completely different class to the others that I fenced :)

The really awful thing is that a team mate took a photo of me fencing epee (all exposed feeling)... ick!

Boo

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 12:19
hmmm...by the title of this thread I was looking forward to something rather more Juicy than Boo Boo bragging about her epee skills and srb making me feel queasy - I have just had a rather nice lunch and would like to keep it that way.

When I do epee I keep my lame on just so the epeeists know they've been beaten - change that to - thrashed by a foilist....mwahaha:moon:

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 12:25
It's all about marketing Prometheus... ;)

I wouldn't say "bragging" either - if epee was about bruises inflicted, rather than hits scored, MIGHT have done ok... ;)

Boo
(who just had a free lunch - which is nice in it's own way...)

Barry Paul
-18th February 2004, 12:28
The lame can short out the tip so hits landing on the lame don't score. Barry Paul. M.D Leon Paul

srb
-18th February 2004, 12:34
Its the only way Prometheus can win these days!!

:itchskrat

srb

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 12:35
Thank you Barry,

Plus it would be an expensive bout for lames

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 12:35
Originally posted by srb
Its the only way Prometheus can win these days!!

:itchskrat

srb

Hey, that looks like video footage of you (srb) and me fencing! (except the real thing is normally a bit more violent...)

Boo

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 12:41
srb: Hypocrita ad nauseum :)

last time you borrow one of my lamé, boyo. ;)

Really, I am surprised no one but srb sees the tongue firmly in the cheek!:transport

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 12:44
Hey, that looks like video footage of you (srb) and me fencing! (except the real thing is normally a bit more violent...)

ha ha ha.....I've heard about srb's fine distance games :moon:

Prometheus (stir,stir,stir)

srb
-18th February 2004, 12:51
Originally posted by Prometheus

last time you borrow one of my lamé,

Washed mine in lemon juice, seems to have done the trick.

srb

symon
-18th February 2004, 13:09
Originally posted by Boo Boo

Boo

Remind me never to get in a bout with either of you two then!!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

HMM Srb so does the Lemon juice thing work??

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 13:14
Originally posted by srb
Washed mine in lemon juice, seems to have done the trick.

srb

uuurgghh....again, too much information!

Oh, I see, you mean your lamé?.......aah.

:)

srb
-18th February 2004, 13:58
Originally posted by symon

HMM Srb so does the Lemon juice thing work??

The problem is, if I answer this question properly, Prometheus will go on for days about what a sad man I am.

So here goes,

My lame was failed at the Slough getting repeated white lights. Afterwards I checked the metallic threads and they all seemed okay, with no breaks. Therefore the white lights were being caused by the metallic threads not conducting.

I then made the assumption that conductance of the metal threads was being affected as they were being coated with sweat (or chlorides if simplifying the chemistry completely). So the threads were accumulating chlorides, and effectively acting as an ion exchange site. Therefore I needed to wash the lame in something that would release the chlorides, but not coat the threads in any thing else.

To remove chloride ions you need to do an acid wash. So I first soaked my lame in cold water, and then as I didn't have any 28% hydrochloric acid to hand, I used some lemon juice added to water to try and do a slightly acidic wash. I then just let the lame drip dry.

Since then the problem with white lights has disappeared for the moment. So for the time being the lemon juice does seem to have worked, but I would interested to hear from any body else that has washed their lame, to find out what they used, and how successful they were, as I believe a lot of commercial washing powders will just coat the threads with zeolite or equivalent

srb

(Okay Prometheus, you can start now)

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 14:03
Originally posted by srb
(Okay Prometheus, you can start now)

Before you start on him Prometheus, ask him how much he got in his recent "Cheimical Process" exam (for his masters)...

Would get rid of the remainder of that lunch you ate earlier... :)

Boo

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 14:32
srb....master.....??!!?!

hearty laugh :)

So what was it?

indigogecko
-18th February 2004, 15:32
sounds like a good idea - would also make it smell a little fresher too!

srb
-18th February 2004, 15:58

Prometheus
-18th February 2004, 17:03
Is that percentage, if so well done.

Prometheus (whose best was only 01100010)

twohappyhippos
-18th February 2004, 18:31
thankyou very much boo boo!!!
srb, were you at the comp on sunday? that means if you saw boo boo naked....that means you saw me naked!!! :o

Aoife
-18th February 2004, 18:50
I never fence electric, so three times I have, I've felt over-dressed. Fencing without a chestguard makes me feel more naked... and wandering around the club, wondering why I'm cold, then realising I'm not wearing a top under my pastron (800N full front coverage though!) makes me feel naked :) (It wasn't my fault, I forgot I gave my chestguard (maxiguard) to a year 8 earlier in the lesson.

:shrug:

Boo Boo
-18th February 2004, 22:44
I hate to admit that I have also fenced without my chest-protector a couple of times in training - have NO IDEA how I could forget to put it on... I once managed a whole fight to 15 before I realised that I didn't have it on... :o

Boo

Rdb811
-18th February 2004, 23:25
Do any other dedicated foilists, who only ever fence electric, feel naked without their lame jacket on?

Not being a foilist, not something I'd notice, although having fenced sabre, I have occasionally at foil offrered my mask for the oppopent to test hit.

It does feel like another weapon fencing sabre without the lame.

srb
-19th February 2004, 09:01
Originally posted by Prometheus
Is that percentage, if so well done.

Prometheus (whose best was only 01100010)

1100100 in the exam,
1011000 in the assignment,
1100001 overall,

so you beat me by 1!

srb

Prometheus
-19th February 2004, 09:06
no, as usual I didn't beat you as mine was only for one subject - relational algebra/calculus

don't ask.

srb
-19th February 2004, 09:10
Originally posted by twohappyhippos
thankyou very much boo boo!!!
srb, were you at the comp on sunday? that means if you saw boo boo naked....that means you saw me naked!!! :o

:eyerise:

Actually Boo Boo only pointed you out as you were leaving. I think we did talk during the day but I need to check with AW. Some young attractive epeeist came up and assaulted him while we were fencing BBO.

srb

:)

Boo Boo
-19th February 2004, 09:15
Originally posted by srb
:eyerise:
Some young attractive epeeist came up and assaulted him while we were fencing BBO.

Nah, you are probably thinking of Sylvia... ;)

Australian
-19th February 2004, 10:59
so that means i've seen 2HH naked how many times now?

hehe

*sigh*

this is really really stupid, but its not stopping me fencing the nude weapon this sunday

Boo Boo
-19th February 2004, 11:04
Nah, Dave... you fence Epee regularly anyway (so probably fencing without a lame on is less "unusual" for you...)

Boo

Australian
-19th February 2004, 11:06
Nah, Dave... you fence Epee regularly anyway (so probably fencing without a lame on is less "unusual" for you...)

Boo

fair enough... its still stupid tho :tongue:

srb
-19th February 2004, 11:38
Nah, you are probably thinking of Sylvia... ;)

Well if Sylvia is young, pretty, and was wearing a blue top with an GBR epee squad motiff on it you could be right, otherwise???

srb

(fencing fully clothed on Saturday)

Boo Boo
-19th February 2004, 11:46
Originally posted by Australian
fair enough... its still stupid tho :tongue:

That's why it is in "chit chat" - where all stupid things belong :)

Boo
(in a silly, holiday mood... off skiing tomorrow :) ).

Australian
-19th February 2004, 11:49
but but but....

no merseyside for boo?

:(

n 2HH isn't there either.... quite rude really :tongue: :tongue:

twohappyhippos
-19th February 2004, 11:50
hehe well srb, i had to make sure bb+o had a chance of at least winning a fight!!! so i decided to come and try to knee cap you both, but as you could kinda see, i failed miserably!!!! oh well!! plus AW was being really nasty to me the whoooooole day. He arrived mega early and didnt help set up the pistes!!! he made me and my foilist friend do it all by ourselves and then laughed at us :(
well it was nice to see you (even though i didnt know who you were!!!)

australian - arent you the lucky one then ;) hehe.

Australian
-19th February 2004, 11:53
Originally posted by twohappyhippos
australian - arent you the lucky one then ;) hehe.

but i'll have no one to laugh at ;)

Boo Boo
-19th February 2004, 11:57
No, no Merseyside. In fact have NEVER done Merseyside (a bit of a trek for not a huge amount of points - I know, I am mercenary... (sp?)). However, ChubbyHubby once won the MF at Merseyside (so am proud of him!).

Whilst you lot sweat away in some sports hall, I will be carving my way (ok, probably tumbling... :( ) down the powdery slopes of Colorado... :)

srb, are you doing Merseyside or Hampshire? Hampshire, I assume.

Am sure that you will meet lots of nice people at Merseyside, Australian :)

Boo

pinkelephant
-19th February 2004, 12:04
Everybody's nice at Merseyside.

srb
-19th February 2004, 12:13
Hampshire.

Its my 12 month anniversary, as it was the first Open I fenced in after I started fencing again. I have to try and do better against Dr Q in the DE this year.

srb

Marcos
-19th February 2004, 13:35

Whilst you lot sweat away in some sports hall, I will be carving my way (ok, probably tumbling... :( ) down the powdery slopes of Colorado... :)

Boo

wearing a lame' or will you be naked?:glamour:

Boo Boo
-19th February 2004, 13:45
No, I think that I will have more than enough layers on NOT to feel naked at all :) (and would feel VERY odd skiing in a lame jacket...)

Boo

ceprab
-19th February 2004, 13:50
Personally, when I have a lame on I am always slightly worried about being put in an oven until goden brown and my juices are clear....

indigogecko
-19th February 2004, 14:14
but you are an epeeist, and pretty much religiously so, therefore unlikely to wear a lame' anyway

oddball
-20th February 2004, 18:36
awwww, I was hoping for a lecherous thread!

........try fencing steam sabre with a maniac who relishes the pistol-crack of a sabre coming down on a nice soft bit of opponent .................

result for opponent......... think zebra!!!!!!!!

pain

Aoife
-21st February 2004, 17:56
Oooh, on the topic of nakedness and lames...

When we got our lames for school the helpful instruction leaflet (I think it had been translated from German) said "Do not go naked outside." which I thought was helpful advice, but it didn't really relate to the lames! :)

madfencer
-25th February 2004, 11:27
sounds like a lot of people hav seen ME naked then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oddball's seen me naked then... and nav!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o

oddball
-27th February 2004, 11:20
ewwwww!!!

no offence ment, but that's typical translation and good advice

madfencer
-27th February 2004, 14:43
lol! yea, i think ill leave it to the guyz to see me naked (without a lame and literally!!!!!!!!)

symon
-27th February 2004, 15:50
jeez Boo this thread has gotta get you thread of the month at least!! i've never seen so many replies for a thread as quick as this 1

MrWizard
-27th February 2004, 20:32
Originally posted by Aoife
Oooh, on the topic of nakedness and lames...

When we got our lames for school the helpful instruction leaflet (I think it had been translated from German) said "Do not go naked outside." which I thought was helpful advice, but it didn't really relate to the lames! :)

To quote from the instructions that came with my lame: "Do not go naked in public." :eek:

The instructions are titled "Care and feeding of your ultralight lame." :confused: This is from a company in North Carolina, so not too sure what their excuse is...

Jamie

Neo
-28th June 2004, 19:14
I don't know about feeling naked without foil lame, but I do feel rather overdressed when wearing a sabre lame

Rdb811
-28th June 2004, 19:43
What about the strips on your kit ?:grin:

Neo
-28th June 2004, 19:53
would that be with or without glue? :grin:

madfencer
-29th June 2004, 10:10
lol! trust u neo!!

devalleassoc
-30th June 2004, 03:47
Originally posted by MrWizard
To quote from the instructions that came with my lame: "Do not go naked in public." :eek:

The instructions are titled "Care and feeding of your ultralight lame." :confused: This is from a company in North Carolina, so not too sure what their excuse is...

Jamie

The excuse (problem) is that they ARE from North Carolina!!
(Ahem.... sorry, it's a N.Y.C. thing!):grin:

madfencer
-30th June 2004, 11:37
lol!