PDA

View Full Version : Parry by distance

Marcos
-19th February 2004, 10:30
does anyone know any good exercises to practice parry by distance (ie making your opponent fall short) ?

it is something I need to work on along with the 3 or 4 guys that I teach

:helpbanne :yoda:

NLSC Sabreur
-19th February 2004, 12:13
You could try this.

Fence with only allowable actions are lunge to head, step lunge to head or step, step lunge to head. OR step back
(If someone insists on moving away after your lunge has failed then you can attack again.)

No parries, no beats. Initially do not allow attacks on preparation (you can introduce them later but they must only be to head). If you attempt to parry or beat then you lose the hit.

Pair up fencers with roughly equal reach.

One fencer starts with priority. The defender can move away as far as they like but as they can only move forward a maximum of 2 steps and a lunge moving a long distance will not allow them to get into range for an attack.

Experiment with variations of this.

If all starts going wrong (or you want to start simply) cut it down to attacker can step lunge or lunge and the defender can either step away or do nothing. Defender scores if attacker falls shorts or if defender doesnt move and attacker steps lunge. Attacker scores if they hit at the correct distance with a good lunge (overstretched lunges do not count). The key here is that defender must time the step back correctly just as the attacker commits to the lunge. In this rather than switch after each hit do 10 then swap attacker and defender.

Try work with a slow even pace to start with before building up speed.

The key to making the opponent fall short is not the speed of the retreat. The timing and the acceleration of the first step is critical. Another area to look at is the body langauge that will trigger a lunge. If your weight is clearly on the back foot then the opponent knows that your thinking of retreating. Try leaning forward slightly just before you intend to try make the opponent fall short. Inexperienced fencers may not see your body language but experienced may react to it whether they are aware of your change in body position or not. This is another reason not to be a twitchy fencer if you give off a random signals then nobody is going to notice the fake stuff you try and send out.

ceprab
-19th February 2004, 13:37
This is one of the first exercises we use with beginners to get them to practice footwork and distance. I will remember this as you have just pointed out it may be far more useful than I had allowed long after beginning to fence.

hokers
-19th February 2004, 13:53
Don't know any other exercises immediately, but I would suggest that a point in line, followed by a quick retreat, will often make your opponent beat attack by step lunge, as this is taught a lot. This can make their distance more predictable, easier to avoid.

Otherwise I would say changing the size/speed of your retreating footwork is the best tactic.

Dalton
-19th February 2004, 14:18
A variation of the above is simply to fence a free bout, with only the cut to the head allowed - no parries or prise-de-fer. Footwork is not limited. Attacks on prep are allowed, of course.

This will at first lead to a lot of simultaneous actions and attacks on preparation, but eventually fencers will be forced to find ways to make the opponent fall short, i.e. feint counter-attack to force the opponent to finish the attack.

PKT
-24th February 2004, 06:41
Originally posted by Marcos
does anyone know any good exercises to practice parry by distance (ie making your opponent fall short) ?

it is something I need to work on along with the 3 or 4 guys that I teach

:helpbanne :yoda:

Try using passe arear [spelling] as well as steps backwards as you retreat. Not just one, but two or three.

The important thing is to maintain your balance so when the attack falls short and the opp't's target opens up you can whack him one...

Never stray too far away.

But be mindful of the flunge...

PK

Marcos
-24th February 2004, 09:07
thanks Andrew et al - tried all the above and more at a training camp we had on Saturday.

thing that seemed to work best is the free bout but you are only allowed to attack / counter-attack / riposte to head as then both fencers are trying to win and there is the penalty of being hit if you get it wrong.

was a good help for MOFT, until Whizzkid1982 stopped countering to head and started countering to quarte..!