PDA

View Full Version : Flungeing

Nick
-20th February 2004, 13:02
I've heard a flunge being mentioned in a lot of threads, can anyone tell me what a flunge is and how it is done, when it is done and why it is done?

Mantis
-20th February 2004, 13:37
It is a cross between a fleche and a lunge and it is used because you are not allowed to fleche in sabre.

oiuyt
-20th February 2004, 15:12
It actually has nothing to with a lunge.

It's a fleche where you don't finish by crossing over. You still push off of the front leg and launch yourself somewhat horizontally. Because you can't cross over you need to get the front leg forward again to land on. Generally at this point your center of gravity is still forward of your front leg and additional hop(s) is(are) required.

-B :)

hokers
-20th February 2004, 15:45
The reason it is used is as a change of pace/distance. It is very difficult to read how long an attack by flunge is, other than it is usually longer than step-lunge distance.

tigger
-23rd February 2004, 13:09
At the top level it seems to be used a lot when riposting or changing direction to counter attack. When attacking there are a few notable ones (Covaliu, Kothny, our own J Williams) who use it a fair amount when attacking.

PKT
-24th February 2004, 06:18
Originally posted by hokers
The reason it is used is as a change of pace/distance. It is very difficult to read how long an attack by flunge is, other than it is usually longer than step-lunge distance.

As executed by Covaliu at the 2003 World Championships in Habana, it's very much like the 2-stage leg flick in the long jump. It also involves a bit of a passe avant.

I have taken fotos from the WC DVDs. if you're interested in seeing it, PM me. [Is there a foto gallery in this forum?]

PK

oddball
-10th March 2004, 11:43
Why was the fleche made illegal in sabre?

pinkelephant
-10th March 2004, 11:55
There were too many simultaneous attacks, with fencers just fleching at each other from the word play. Other devices were tried - the most bizarre was that after the third simultaneous attack, a coin was tossed for priority. On the next simultaneous attack the person with priority got the point, then priority went to the other fencer till the next simultaneous, then the whole process started again. Weird.

Winwaloe
-12th March 2004, 14:00
"Why was the fleche made illegal in sabre"

Same reason the cross step was taken out. The powers that be wanted to make it boring. They have!

I am not in the slightest bit convinced that it has done much for simultaneous attacks as the more athlectic seem to have found other ways to take off together!!

whizzkid1982
-12th March 2004, 14:04
i believe it was taken out because sabre had become boring. it had degenerated to two grown men running at each other with no attempt to fence. people only attacked! matches effectively came down to who gained priority when the random switch on the box was pressed.

this is not a test of skill whereas what you see now is an extreme test of skill and whilst i personally think that the sabre fencing is a little too advantageious to the defender it is still much better than it used to be.

oddball
-12th March 2004, 18:10
Yep, but there seem to be lots of swishy, flicky hits as opposed to cuts, or is tis beside the point?

Lucan
-12th March 2004, 19:01
Yes well that's why the 2000+ blades are more rigid. A good thing to.

PKT
-12th March 2004, 20:04
Originally posted by Winwaloe
"Why was the fleche made illegal in sabre"

Same reason the cross step was taken out. The powers that be wanted to make it boring. They have!

I am not in the slightest bit convinced that it has done much for simultaneous attacks as the more athlectic seem to have found other ways to take off together!!

having started competing in the 70s, and therefore experienced all the changes the FIE have thrown at us since then, I ahve to admit the FIE got it right with the 2002 May ruels amendments as far as sabre is concerned.

I agree, sabre with fleche was becoming too boring.
Look at the WC in Habana and the footwork, up and down the piste they went, and the number of exchanges beofre a hit was finally scored, nary a simultaneous, how can you say that's boring. you have to be a foilist to make an observation like that!!!
:grin:

Look at the jump-parry-riposte Covaliu did on Montano to get his 2nd point in the semi-final!!! The older Montanos never did things like that. All they did was, fleche', bam, fleche, bam. That was BORING to the Nth degree.

PK