PDA

View Full Version : Coverting blades

Petch66
-20th February 2004, 14:08
Is it possible to convert a full tang non electric foil to a half tang non electric foil so i can fit a pistol grip to it? Has anyone managed it?

Dave Hillier
-20th February 2004, 14:10
yes.

You need a hack saw and an M6 die.

Just cut the tang to the right length then put a thread on it.

Petch66
-20th February 2004, 14:11
ahhhhhhhh thanx!

srb
-20th February 2004, 14:54
Beware,

It depends on the age, make and format of the tang. If the tang is threaded right down you can just hack saw it off. Most blades tend to be universal for both french and pistol grip - but not all of them.

It the thread doesn't go all the way down you will need some calipers to check that the outside diameter (O.D.) of the tang does not exceed the O.D. of the required thread. If the O.D. of the tang is greater than the O.D. of the thread you will split the die.

If it does exceed it, you just have to be careful, and patient, and file the tang down until it is at the correct O.D.. Again being careful that as you file it down it remains round. If you file it down too much there will not be enough thread for the allen nut to bite into.

It is pretty easy, I always used to buy cheap hungarian blades that came with a unthreaded long tang, so I had to cut them down and thread them.

If you are threading them you will need a vice and some lubricating oil as well. Also you can't just wind the die on - one turn forwards, quarter turn back. Otherwise the die will bind with swarf and split.

srb

Prometheus
-20th February 2004, 14:57
Originally posted by srb
Beware,

It depends on the age, make and format of the tang. If the tang is threaded right down you can just hack saw it off. Most blades tend to be universal for both french and pistol grip - but not all of them.

It the thread doesn't go all the way down you will need some calipers to check that the outside diameter (O.D.) of the tang does not exceed the O.D. of the required thread. If the O.D. of the tang is greater than the O.D. of the thread you will split the die.

If it does exceed it, you just have to be careful, and patient, and file the tang down until it is at the correct O.D.. Again being careful that as you file it down it remains round. If you file it down too much there will not be enough thread for the allen nut to bite into.

It is pretty easy, I always used to buy cheap hungarian blades that came with a unthreaded long tang, so I had to cut them down and thread them.

If you are threading them you will need a vice and some lubricating oil as well. Also you can't just wind the die on - one turn forwards, quarter turn back. Otherwise the die will bind with swarf and split.

srb

Alternatively, buy a pistol grip format blade and have a life.

Prometheus (binding with Swarf and split - what ever a split [;)] is?)

srb
-20th February 2004, 15:03
Its the economic and administrative centre of Middle Dalmatia.

Don't you know anything!!!

srb

Prometheus
-20th February 2004, 15:11
ah - I was under the impression it was the painful result of srb trying to lunge :grin:

Petch66
-20th February 2004, 19:14
Its the right diametre so i'll just chop and thread it

Petch66
-25th February 2004, 14:53
Done it now! Broke one Etoile blade in the process unfortunately but my LP france blade threaded well and tightened properly.

PKT
-15th March 2004, 05:11
... before you remove the M6 die, do yourself a favour and round off the sharp edge of the blade that's be chopped off, then you may remove the die.

it's just good machining practice and the lock nut will catch better.

PK