PDA

View Full Version : British Fencing Academy 2011 - Nottingham

S&C Guy
-10th July 2011, 07:14
Hey guys,

Hope you are all well. Just a heads up that we are going to be at the Academy Training Camp in Nottingham again next month. If there is anything in particular you would like us to cover then please let us know on here and we will try and organise to have your question answered for you in the week. Obviously i try and answer as many questions directly to you on the forum here but sometimes its easier to show you what i mean rather than type out a response describing an exercise or movement.

The general agenda for us currently is to continue to work on the Performance levels presented ast year, teaching the new exercises to those that need this and developing the foundation that has already been built with everyone.

Hope you are all well and i'm looking forward to seeing many of you again in August!

Rhys

ED_R
-10th July 2011, 09:34
Hi Rhys

We would like to get advice for problems like exercising with osgood schlatters. (eg strengthening a leg which has OS but is much less well developed than the other)

Also is there any way to help parents understand (measure) what the improvement has been so far/ see and understand what is being improved so that we know what progress is actually being made. Otherwise it feels a little like the same lessons repeated (this is not a whinge - the S&C stuff has been really good, and much appreciated).

You may of course already be doing this - and I am just not being told about it!

foilerist
-10th July 2011, 14:23
I would like access to any reputable S&C books/dvds that will encourage the development of Junior fencers and the general fitness of adult social fencers. If you have any recomendations I would appreciate it.

fencingmaster
-10th July 2011, 14:30
Don't overlook the resources here...
http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-resources/

foilerist
-10th July 2011, 16:57
Don't overlook the resources here...
http://www.britishfencing.com/academy/academy-resources/

I've looked there already thanks, just looking for any more resources, I reckon that the more information I can get then the better.

S&C Guy
-15th July 2011, 15:16
Hi Rhys

We would like to get advice for problems like exercising with osgood schlatters. (eg strengthening a leg which has OS but is much less well developed than the other)

Also is there any way to help parents understand (measure) what the improvement has been so far/ see and understand what is being improved so that we know what progress is actually being made. Otherwise it feels a little like the same lessons repeated (this is not a whinge - the S&C stuff has been really good, and much appreciated).

You may of course already be doing this - and I am just not being told about it!

Hey,

Firstly as far as training with/around injuries then i think we'll deal with that on an individual basis and if possible, with the physios there too. Everyones different with this stuff and it wouldn't be helpful for us to give a blanket response!

As for progress, we obviously tested everyone last year and many have continued to be tested this year in the regional academies. We will be re-doing this at the camp so should get some measure of any changes from that. We will also be measure people against the PLS scale. They have all had the exercises for a year now as well as the videos and all the other information. I know from the fencers i've worked with at various camps that there will be some guys coming in at level 7-8 as far as movement capacity goes, some however will not have touched the stuff since last year and will be levels 1-2 and some will not have been there last year and probably need it all teaching from the beginning! Its going to be quite an undertaking to manage everyone but hopefully we'll have as few people as possible who haven't been working on their exercises this year!!!

Rhys

S&C Guy
-15th July 2011, 15:57
I would like access to any reputable S&C books/dvds that will encourage the development of Junior fencers and the general fitness of adult social fencers. If you have any recomendations I would appreciate it.

Right, this ones a little more difficult. There are some great S&C books for S&C coaches but whether you would want to read them if you have a general interest, i doubt it and i definitely don't think your fencers would want to read them! One of the main ones though is Essentials of Strength & Conditioning so that may be worth a look if you are very interested. As for more specific books i'm not sure, there's nothing specifically geared towards fencers right now! We have a journal article submitted for publishing right now about the work we've done so far but these things take a while to get published! Some of that infomation will probably get relayed to you at the camp at some point though.

Some good basic training books that will give you a general gym program that covers 90% of what you need though are the New Rules of Lifting books by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. There are 3 different ones, a basic one, one for women and one for abs. They are excellent and the one for abs despite having a terrible name is particularly good as it is the newest one and it really gets into the best ways to improve posture. They may not be specificly for fencing but like i said unless your an elite level athete they will probably cover most of your needs and they are much more affordable than more indepth S&C books!

Hope this helps, Rhys