PDA

View Full Version : Knee Exercises

CRC
-14th July 2011, 02:13
Can any suggest any good exercises to strengthen the muscles/ligaments/tendons around the knee and exercises that increase flexability to prevent injuries? Thanks.

Cyrano5
-14th July 2011, 09:21
You really need someone to show you how to do them to make sure the exercises themselves don't injure you. I am sure S&C guy will have some good suggestions.

S&C Guy
-15th July 2011, 15:56
Hey there,

As far as knee strengthening goes it really depends what specifically needs strengthening. The knee is obviously a joint so technically it can't be strengthened itself (apart from with drinking milk!) but the muscles around it can be. Muscles that go over/through the knee include the quads, hamstrings and gastrocnemius (calf). The best exercise for them, easy, deep heavy squats!!! Hip travelling just below the knee deep! This is where you will make the biggest difference.

Other than this, you may need to focus on one area more than the other so if you need to strengthen the;

Quads - exercises such as rear foot elevated split squats and walking lunges work great.

Hamstring - Deadlifts, straight-leg deadlifts, Nordics, Glute-Ham Raises all work great

Gastroc - Standing Calf raises (although this is rarely if ever an issue!!!)

You can get more specific again as if there is ain it may be an issue with certain quad muscles etc in which case Terminal Knee Extensions can work great for VMO activation etc but at this point we move into physio realm and you'd be better off seeing someone in person!

Flexibility wise, again it depends where you need this flexibility. Most basic stretches are going to do a good job but without knowing you specific situation i wouldn't want to write a great big list out and confuse things!

Hope this helps! Rhys

CRC
-16th July 2011, 04:49
Thank you!

I have no issues right now. I can see how a person can injure a new while fencing and want to prevent it from happening.

S&C Guy
-17th July 2011, 10:42
Thank you!

I have no issues right now. I can see how a person can injure a new while fencing and want to prevent it from happening.

No worries, what we have found is most important for fencers is to increase hamstring strength and decrease the imbalance between lead and trailing leg. This should help reduce injury risks. As for flexibility issues , make sure your working on hip flexor length. Beyong that look up some foam rolling techniques on youtube and you'll be laughing!

TomA
-17th July 2011, 14:53
Beyong that look up some foam rolling techniques on youtube and you'll be laughing!...or crying depending on how painful it is!

S&C Guy
-18th July 2011, 11:32
...or crying depending on how painful it is!

Very true, IT Band and quads can be extreme!

fencerspencer
-24th August 2011, 16:51
and also remember to warm up before starting your training. I learned it the hard way

diame
-2nd September 2011, 09:18
That's a good exercise.. yes fencerspencer warm-up is very important before starting your train.
warm-up is the best way to keep from all injuries..

John222
-25th July 2012, 07:02
I would say .. that fixed bicycle will be fine for improving your knee strength. Keep the wheel tight so that you have to push hard, in this way your legs will bend and knee muscles will be strong. You can also try kick boxing, its also effective to strength up knee muscles.