PDA

View Full Version : My day at Merseyside

Australian
-21st February 2004, 19:11
Arrive at the venue after having to get up at 6am, getting dropped at different peoples places so I could be given a lift up there from Newport (where I was staying Friday night).

Walk into venue and open fencing bag. No breeches. Spend £40 on cheap breeches. Go off and test my weapons, and one of my bodywires has a little break in it, so I spend the next 20 minutes cutting off a bit then putting it back together…. leaving little time to warm up… grr

Having no BFA rank means that I get an awful seed into the competition, and have a reasonably difficult poule to start off with.

Results of poule 1: two victories 5-1 5-0, two 4-5 losses , and a 2-5 loss

*sigh* I’m fencing so scrappily, and really should have won 4 bouts in that poule……

Second round of poules gets off to a better start helped by a slightly improved rank, with 4 substantial victories and another bloody 4-5 loss that should have been a victory.

Midway through the second round I break my favourite maraging foil, so that’s £100 to replace… *sigh* bodywires are still playing up.

Final rank out of the poules: 26th

Bye through the L128

Win my L64 DE easily… but 26th is not a good spot for a L32 fight, so I’m expecting it to be tough.

I referee the first bout of the sheet on our group in the L32 and I have to convince to a fencer with the UZB country code on the back of his jacket that waving his point around in the air is not an attack if the other guy hold point in line. He agrees that he was waving his point around, but seems to think that he was attacking… confused me… The guy wins easily, and I find that he is refereeing my next fight against the number 9 seed.

Every single time that there were two lights in my fight I’d get called attack parry-riposte against me. Every single time.

It got to the stage towards the end of the bout where my opponent (top bloke by the way) would actually concede the hit, and say “na mate, that’s not a parry riposte” but this didn’t stop my new friend awarding the hit against me.

It didn’t really bother me that much – cos my opponent was much better than me, but I at least wanted to have a decent fun fight with him. The only way I could score a hit was if there was a single green light…. *sigh*

So my competition ended there… and I couldn’t really fence the epee without my real 800N breeches, plus facing another 6am start was a bit much, so I called it a day and came home.

That’s my day at my first ever British Open.

PM1
-21st February 2004, 19:27
Oh Davey - sorry !!

gladiator
-22nd February 2004, 00:32
Bad luck mate! They're not all that bad, you just had one of those days I'm guessing......unless everything normally goes wrong! Unfortunately there are a few people like that around who bear grudges when all everyone wants is a friendly, fair competition.

Better luck next time. Are you at public schools on thurs for sabre as well or just foil & epee days? If so i'll see you there.

Australian
-22nd February 2004, 10:11
Originally posted by gladiator
Bad luck mate! They're not all that bad, you just had one of those days I'm guessing......unless everything normally goes wrong! Unfortunately there are a few people like that around who bear grudges when all everyone wants is a friendly, fair competition.

Better luck next time. Are you at public schools on thurs for sabre as well or just foil & epee days? If so i'll see you there.

oh i'm completely cool with it all... it doesn't really bother me - 2 victories in my first poule is just unacceptable really :(

I'll be at public schools for all 3 days i think, so i should see you...

i'll be in a jacket and tie, with a thickish aussie accent, short with brown hair

PM1
-22nd February 2004, 13:34
...and I'll be there each day too !! Will look out for you...it's mayhem......:grin:

Danny_Boy
-22nd February 2004, 15:32
Hey Dave.

Was happy to read your report especially coz it described me as a 'top bloke.' (Although I was seeded 7th and not 9th like you said.)

You're right - in our L32 fight I was breaking my time after beating or parrying your blade (a bad habit I've got) and you should have had about 7 more points than you got. As you say I did try and acknowledge them but the ref was having none of it.

If you're interested I made it through to the last 8 and was 14-12 up until I decided it would be fun to run onto my opponent's blade three times. As you can probably imagine I felt like a bit of a pillock afterwards.

Apart from that I had a good time and it was nice to meet other top blokes such as your good self.

-

Daniel Randall

Australian
-22nd February 2004, 16:09
Originally posted by Danny_Boy
Hey Dave.

Was happy to read your report especially coz it described me as a 'top bloke.' (Although I was seeded 7th and not 9th like you said.)

You're right - in our L32 fight I was breaking my time after beating or parrying your blade (a bad habit I've got) and you should have had about 7 more points than you got. As you say I did try and acknowledge them but the ref was having none of it.

If you're interested I made it through to the last 8 and was 14-12 up until I decided it would be fun to run onto my opponent's blade three times. As you can probably imagine I felt like a bit of a pillock afterwards.

Apart from that I had a good time and it was nice to meet other top blokes such as your good self.

-

Daniel Randall

glad you did well mate!

yeah i found most (almost all) of the fencers that were actually there to be really nice... it was just one of those days really

sure i'll be seeing you around at other competitions

Chris Morgan
-22nd February 2004, 19:14
Dont worry australian i had a day like that at bristol last year, the day was a complete disaster i dont think i won a fight all day, luck had it tho the next week i went on and got 2nd at the manchester cadet international, so you see dont worry about it and just concentrate on your next competition and you'll do fine

Chris Morgan
-22nd February 2004, 19:16
Hey dan dont forget me getting 5 hits off you, you 'top Bloke!'
I might see if i can get down to cavs some time so i might c u there

Danny_Boy
-22nd February 2004, 20:28
Yes Chris, but...

a) I obviously let you get those hits because I don't want to damage your "I have GBR on the back of my jacket therefore I'm incredible" ego

and

b) I seem to recall getting 9 - yes, nine whole hits at a weapon I don't even fence - on you in the very next fight.

I'm coming to Chilwell on Wednesday so I think it's rematch time, don't you????

-

Daniel Randall

Chris Morgan
-23rd February 2004, 20:54
hhahaha ok then we will see, im not sure whether i will be able to make it on wednesday but ill try, what incredible ego are you talking about! first ive heard of it! lol

Mantis
-24th February 2004, 13:14
The Daily Telegraph has the results in todays paper (24/2/04). Just the top 4 in each event plus best vet, best U18, plate winner and fair play award, but at about 3" I think it is the most space I've seen given to fencing results yet. I wonder what it would take to get a short report?

Danny_Boy
-24th February 2004, 14:44
I missed out on getting my name in the Daily Torygraph by 1 HIT???

I'm crushed.

-

Daniel Randall

Chris Morgan
-24th February 2004, 16:42
dan didnt you make the best U18? i would of thought a last 8 would of been suffice

Danny_Boy
-24th February 2004, 16:48
Nah - Alex Frankland got into the L4 so he got it. He beat Paul Sibert on his way - he's a very useful fencer.

I'm still kicking myself over my result. I know L8 isn't bad for only my 3rd Open but I was 14-12 up. To be one hit away from a medal and with a lead and still to lose isn't clever.

I'm hoping for a better result at Nottingham.

Are you going, Chris?

-

Daniel Randall

Chris Morgan
-24th February 2004, 16:55
I will be there and am hoping for a l-16 or if i do something special a l-8 this year, shame there isnt a prize for the best U18 at that i might of had a chance of getting that, oh well we will see, its in march isnt it?

Danny_Boy
-24th February 2004, 17:08
Yeah - 6th of March. Epee might be on the 7th, though.

I reckon you'll do well, Chris. You got last 64 at Slough, right? No disrespect to our home city but the Nottingham Open isn't quite as tough as Slough so a L8 should be well within the reach of someone like you.

I'm going for a L8 too, and possibly a L4 depending on the quality on the day.

If the epee's on the same day as the foil, I'll see you there.

-

Daniel Randall

Chris Morgan
-24th February 2004, 18:37
yeh i got sum 64s at some of the harder opens this year leicester, h-w and slough, well ill see how i am on the day, and alot of it is the luck of the draw anyway see yas soon