PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for Plate Competitions

Aer
-22nd February 2004, 11:57
The scottish Student Individuals...

Just thanks for having a plate competition - i had a bad 2 poules - lost EVERYTHING... didn't even make the main DE... :rolleyes: but the plate competition kinda made it worthwhile turning up to glasgow.

last seed in MAIN, have to fence all the higher seeded knocked out people (~15th Seed i think was highest in the plate) - and finally start fencing well and get to the plate final.

But the whole time constraints at the competition meant that i got about 6 mins from the L8 - L4, and 5 mins to the Final in the plate.

I lost, but fair enough, I worked out how to parry the guy's attack on the final hit. ah well, next year maybe the main competition...

oh, and maybe the car won't break down on the way back next year....

PM1
-22nd February 2004, 13:41
aaahhh!!!!!

But isn't brill when a plate comp is run?? Makes it so much more worthwhile for people who travel a long distance, just to have 5 or 6 poule fights, then lose the first DE but have another chance before they have to go home.......great if there's the space.....:grin:

Aer
-22nd February 2004, 14:39
yep :)

its also good when you "warm up" reallllllly slowly in the poules too :)

one of the guys who beat me in both my poules was my plate semi final opponent - he said that i "had suddenly started to fence"

which is nice. I think the best DE i have ever fought was the Semi final when i was 8-6 down at the interval, then got 4 single light beat attacks in the first 20 seconds of the second period. :grin:

Aoife
-28th February 2004, 11:28
Is a plate where the 'loosers' fight it out among themselves to shuffle the scoring around at the end?

I've heard the term, a couple of times, and always thought it ment something like that, but I'm still unsure.

PM1
-28th February 2004, 11:34
in my experience, a plate comp is available to al those who do not progress thru the first DE fight: if you don't make any cut imposed after the end of the poule round, or, if you lose your first DE. It's a seperate competition and has no effect on the main one, so your ranking in the main comp stays the same, whether you go into the plate comp or not, win it or not. And you have to ask to be entered, too.

I think......:rolleyes:

Aer
-28th February 2004, 13:15
it just gives the people who fenced badly in the poules-
or those who wake up at about 1 pm- a chance to fence in a friendlier DE.

every1 knows it doesnt really matter :D Doesnt stop the intense bouts tho 9-8 after time is a great fight!

Aoife
-29th February 2004, 20:36
Ahhh, when I went to watch the Invicta last year they had a sort of comp for those who'd been knocked out. That must have been a plate comp.

Do they only have them at Opens? Or would they have had one at the BYCs? (*shrug*... I nearly went home before DEs, because I had no idea what the system was! :) )

PM1
-29th February 2004, 21:03
Opens, not BYC's.

You should have ASKED, dear girl!!! I know it might have been a bit over powering, but now you know that we are friendly, don't be afreared to ask.

Not all opens have plate comps, and they will say so on the entry form if they do.

:grin: :grin:

Rdb811
-29th February 2004, 21:35
Depends on the competiton (and space available). We did one once for our club competiion, which a passing Chubbyhubby took part in.

gbm
-5th March 2004, 21:53
Of course, somebody has to lose even the plate competition. For example, I've lost the first round of the plate at the Welsh Open two years in a row.

Rdb811
-5th March 2004, 22:51
I got cut from it once :upset: - admittedly my knee was starting to play up, which eventually lead to me returing to epee.

Naughty foilist
-15th March 2004, 13:02
I entered the plate competition at the Invicta this weekend just gone and felt it is a great idea. My muscles are now disagreeing with me as it meant 11 fights in one day and I've nearly fallen asleep on my keyboard a couple of times but I had fun. Work will be a good rest by comparison.

Sore but happy.

Boo Boo
-15th March 2004, 13:16
Originally posted by Naughty foilist
I entered the plate competition at the Invicta this weekend just gone and felt it is a great idea. My muscles are now disagreeing with me as it meant 11 fights in one day and I've nearly fallen asleep on my keyboard a couple of times but I had fun. Work will be a good rest by comparison.

Hhhhmmm, some fitness/endurance required Naughty?

Don't think that you would like Excalibur then - up to 33 fights (only to 5, though) over 2 days...

Glad you had fun - that's what competitions should be about :)

Boo

Hudson
-15th March 2004, 13:39
Plates are great. Did the epee and foil plate at the invicta this weekend and got in loads of good enjoyable fencing.

aao
-15th March 2004, 14:04
Originally posted by Boo Boo
Don't think that you would like Excalibur then - up to 33 fights (only to 5, though) over 2 days...
Boo

errr Boo isn't it the horrific amount of drinking/partying all night which causes the tiredness at the excalibur???!!

as for plates all for them if we can have them at A-grades!! (if you think travelling a couple of hours to have 6 poule fights and get knocked out is irritating, try doing it after have spent x 000's of pounds and at least 1 flight! :dizzy:)

seriously though a good idea for begginers and purely social fencers who just want more experience or just enjor fencing different fencers. Did the sabre one at leicster and had a great time (well until I lost to Brenda no 3 in the final at any rate! ;)

Boo Boo
-15th March 2004, 14:21
Originally posted by aao
errr Boo isn't it the horrific amount of drinking/partying all night which causes the tiredness at the excalibur???!!

Nah, last year I had to "babysit" several 16/17 year olds.... who wanted to stay in and play on the Playstation 2 (rather than go out and party all night)....

Boo
(happy to babysit well behaved people for a substantial fee ;) ).

pinkelephant
-15th March 2004, 15:04
No stamina, the youth of today.