PDA

View Full Version : Pentathlete Freyja Prentice GBR qualifies for Olympics

madfencer
-31st July 2011, 19:57
Hi guys

I don't know if any of you were watching the pentathlon europeans online today, but Freyja Prentice came 9th overall to get a spot in the Olympics! The top 8 finishers in the europeans qualify but also the top place at the london world cup the other weekend. As the girl who won the london world cup also won the europeans the top 9 finishers at the europeans qualified for the olympics. Freyja came 8th overall.

Full results here. http://www.pentathlon.org/results/competition-results/results/pentathlon/835-senior-european-championships

James Cooke also qualifies for 2012 after coming 4th overall at the europeans.

Two places are allocated for both males and females from each country for the olympics so hopefully we can get a few more qualifying at the worlds in september or off the world ranking list.

Spider5
-31st July 2011, 21:34
Great news - well done Freyja.

27ab1c
-1st August 2011, 07:47
I watched about an hour of this on the BBC red button over the weekend and enjoyed it so much I kept watching to see how people did in the swimming section. Other then pentathlon, I think the last piece of fencing on TV was a couple of days' coverage of the last World Championships.
Online coverage is all very well, but might the lack of it on TV be addressed?

Gav
-1st August 2011, 09:50
Well done to Freya. Hope it goes well next year.

andylymn
-2nd August 2011, 01:58
We have a number of good fencers that compete at Pentathlon and age group derivatives. We as a nation do quite well at multi-sports. As a development aid maybe this is something that fencing could adopt as a way forward. I know the strength and conditioning bit from the Academy relates younger fencers should use more than one sport as part of their fencing. Also as part of selection and development those representing GB at Penthathlon are funded, training camps and international duties by MPAGB. Wonfer if that will ever happen with the Academy Cadet programme for the Elite pathway that is going to be Cadets competing in Euro/Worlds/Olympics?

Andy
-22nd August 2011, 01:16
... but Freyja Prentice came 9th overall to get a spot in the Olympics! The top 8 finishers in the europeans qualify but also the top place at the london world cup the other weekend. As the girl who won the london world cup also won the europeans the top 9 finishers at the europeans qualified for the olympics. Freyja came 8th overall.

Full results here. http://www.pentathlon.org/results/competition-results/results/pentathlon/835-senior-european-championships

James Cooke also qualifies for 2012 after coming 4th overall at the europeans.

Two places are allocated for both males and females from each country for the olympics so hopefully we can get a few more qualifying at the worlds in september or off the world ranking list.

Just to clarify, Freyja came 8th at the Euros and 9th at the worlds...

As I understand it, GBR get 1 place as host for each (mens and womens) in addition to this we qualified a place in the mens and a place in the womens at the Euros. We are only allowed to send 2 athletes, and so we have all the spots that we can have now.

Although Freyja and James won the places for GBR, it's not their place, it's a place for a GBR athlete...
As in any sport, there are qualification rules etc, having a scant knowledge of these, I think that unless 2 athletes win medals (as opposed to 'medal') at the next worlds, ahead of them, it's IMHO 'very likely' that we will see Freyja and James in London - but a year is a long time in sport, so who knows...
Looking at past form, it's not impossible for any of the British Girls to get a medal, and in the mens, there is lots going on, on the world stage, so again any 2 from 3 (Nick came 3rd at the WC Final in London, and Sam is still a very strong) could still qualify.

But to summerize -
Well done James (on your world record swim, and) for your 4th place
Well done Freyja on your 8th place

Both truely world class athletes.

A.