PDA

View Full Version : New Leon Paul Stainless Steel Point?

gbm
-23rd February 2004, 18:09
I've heard a rumour that Leon Paul are coming out with a new stainless steel point which is better than any current LP point and is very good. Has anybody else heard anything else about it?
Obviously I'd like to delay buying my new sword blade until they make them.

Barry Paul
-23rd February 2004, 18:18
All our newly wired maraging blades should be fitted with them. They have a longer sliding surface so for the first time in 50 years the new point top will not be compatable with the old points, but the spring and screws are the same. More information and a proper launch later next month. Barry Paul M.d. Leon Paul

Epeecurean
-24th February 2004, 14:07
Hi Barry, will you have this for epee as well, perhaps PTFE-coated? What would you highlight as the main benefit of these points? Lifespan, a smoother action, both, or something else?

gbm
-25th February 2004, 08:37
I need my daily dose of Leon-Paul goodness to keep up my unshaken faith in their products. I think I shall be buying my new Golubitsky-Pro blade soon...

symon
-26th February 2004, 16:12
awwwwwww you've got to get the golubgitski pro mate its luuuuuuvvvvvveeerrrrrrlllllyyyyyyy!!:grin:

gbm
-26th February 2004, 20:53
I want the stiffest, most rigid, most unflicky, and most rod-like maraging sword Leon Paul make. Which one would that be? (that's a genuine question, not sarcasm).

clockity
-27th February 2004, 09:37
Originally posted by goodbadandme
I want the stiffest, most rigid, most unflicky, and most rod-like maraging sword Leon Paul make. Which one would that be? (that's a genuine question, not sarcasm).

The Maraging Golubitsky-Pro is probably the stiffest Leon Paul made blade. It is flickable near the point, and stiff near the guard though. You could always test some of the various maraging blade stock at their stand at the next competition you go to or visit their shop.

Mark Oakley
-27th February 2004, 11:13

I used to prefer a very stiff blade and I had a couple of Paul Maragings that I really liked (this was before the Goubirsky-Pro came out).

There is a lot of variation between different blades of the same make so Clockity is right in saying you should try out a few before you buy.

srb
-27th February 2004, 11:24
I want the stiffest, most rigid, most unflicky, and most rod-like maraging sword Leon Paul make. Which one would that be?

I would get a BF blade from Allstar Uhlmann UK then, not a Leon Paul blade.

I use both Golubitsky Pro blades, and BF blades, and I find it easier to flick with the Golubitsky Pro blade. My personal preference would be a Golubitsky Pro blade with an Uhlmann point.

If you want a stiff blade stay well clear of the LP budget maraging blades. They are fishing rods for flicky fencers.

srb

clockity
-27th February 2004, 13:35
Originally posted by srb
If you want a stiff blade stay well clear of the LP budget maraging blades. They are fishing rods for flicky fencers.

DrQ likes those budget maraging ones...

Prometheus
-27th February 2004, 13:40
DrQ likes those budget maraging ones...

Can't stand being hit by DrQ's flicks! He's such a modern foilist. ;)

flick,flick,flick,flick,flick,flick

gbm
-27th February 2004, 15:19
The budget ones flick because there's just so much less sword (I mean, it hasn't even got a proper forte!).

Are the Allstar blades definitely stiffer, or is it to do with the balance of the sword? I know the Golubitsky has an entirely different balance (?) to the other Leon Paul swords, as it bends much further up the blade, as opposed to the budgets which practically bend at the forte.

Since the Allstar site seems to not give any description of the different weapons, I don't know what the difference between a Golubitsky-Pro (I love spelling that) and a BF blade is (other than 55p!).

Also, since I fix my own (and rather a few other people's) weapons, I will probably have to stick to the Leon Paul, or buy a whole load of different kit for the allstar stuff (new springs, new wire, new points e.t.c.).

srb
-5th March 2004, 11:56

Are the Allstar blades definitely stiffer, or is it to do with the balance of the sword? I know the Golubitsky has an entirely different balance (?)

As mentioned on a previous thread. The blades get bendier. When I first got my Golubitsky pro blade, I hated it. It wasn't until after about 4 weeks that it developed a much better feel. My newest blade is a BF blade. That blade developed a better feel on the second time I used it.

Someone who can flick well, will be able to flick with anything, whether it is stiff or bendy. If you don't flick, which I don't very often, either blade will still be fine. At the end of the day both the BF blades and the GP blades are pretty good.

I'll just have to wait to see which one I break first, to what I will chose to replace it with.

srb

Australian
-7th March 2004, 09:48
allstar don't make blades!

gah

they sell BF blades, which are forged in france, and StM blades, which are forged in the ukraine

gbm
-7th March 2004, 09:57
I knew that really! Meant the BF blades.