PDA

View Full Version : Lopsided!

fencer_boy
-10th September 2011, 19:26
So, like a lot of fencers I am lopsided from a fair few years of fencing. Need to sort this out really as I am sure itís not good for me (not to mention makes me look a bit of a freak). I am guessing jogging would even out the legs? This wouldnt be detrimental to my fencing would it? But what about the upper body?

S&C Guy
-11th September 2011, 13:17
So, like a lot of fencers I am lopsided from a fair few years of fencing. Need to sort this out really as I am sure it’s not good for me (not to mention makes me look a bit of a freak). I am guessing jogging would even out the legs? This wouldnt be detrimental to my fencing would it? But what about the upper body?

So, like a lot of fencers I am lopsided from a fair few years of fencing. Need to sort this out really as I am sure it’s not good for me (not to mention makes me look a bit of a freak). I am guessing jogging would even out the legs? This wouldnt be detrimental to my fencing would it? But what about the upper body?

OK i had typed a huge response here and then my internet died as i clicked 'post reply' and i lost it. I don't have the time to retype all of it but here is the abridged version!

-running won't do it, your more likely to accelerate the injury risk!
-the discrepency comes from your lead leg absorbing huge eccentric forces and exhibiting very explosive concentric contractions, you need to replicate this on your rear leg
-look at the 'Training Programs' thread for a list of explosive and single leg exercises that can help with this
-Upper body isn't as vital, but concentrating on Dumbbell work will help you get strong on both sides, pay special attention to 'pulling' exercises.
-do some non-dominant side footwork drills, ie a right handed fencer would train left handed for a bit. you won't spar in this position but some work here in your warm up/cool down or during a footwork session will help rebalance you and help with skill acquisition too!

Fencing is a one sided sport so you will liely never be completely balanced but if you follow the above advice you can lower your injury risk considerably!!!

Rhys

Garuph
-11th September 2011, 18:19
On a less serious note also avoid of swimming. You'll end up going round in circles:grin:

d_f_a
-11th September 2011, 18:50
S&C Guy obviously knows what he's talking about (good to have pro advice on a forum).
Doing footwork on the non-dominant side as he mentioned is also good to fault find any issues - I find that fencers will exaggerate any slight fault when asked to do footwork routines 'the other way round'. Therefore they become easier to correct.

fencer_boy
-11th September 2011, 19:48
Thanks Rhys, as d_f_a said its great to have an expert lurking about!

cesh_fencing
-11th September 2011, 20:07
Also if you tend to have too much weight on your front leg, you have more of a problem.

By bending your back leg more, usually this will help that strengthen and take some of the work from the front leg...