PDA

View Full Version : Catania 2011: "Are You Ready?"

Gav
-16th September 2011, 15:04
This is a general heads up from my Italian correspondent gladius....

I've highlighted the most important point in Red...

From the FIS web site http://www.federscherma.it/news.asp?i=91636&s=7 edited excerpts of Catania 2011 presentation press conference in Palermo, the capital of the Region of Sicily, the major sponsor of these championships

http://www.federscherma.it/immagini/news/confstampapalermofency.jpg
Messrs. Lombardo, Scarso, Manzoni

From the sponsor, the Region of Sicily

Raffaele Lombardo, President of the Region of Sicily, "Sicily must thank the sport of fencing for selecting this land for its 2011 World Championships... We are betting a lot on the organization of sporting events because we firmly believe that sports help tremendously the tourism business of Sicily. The figures say so. The return on the investment we decided to make in sports, in this case in the sport of fencing, turns out exceed our rosiest expectations."

The numbers:

25,000 visitors expected by the local hotel industry during the world championship with an average of EU 130 ($180) spent per person per day.

From the LOC

Sebastiano Manzoni, LOC President, "We are working day and night to be ready on opening day. The entire staff and the companies in charge of the various aspects have all the single objective to make this an unique event in full synergy with the FIE and FIS. Works at PalaGhiaccio [venue] are in full swing and online tickets sale continues."

From the FIS President address

(a) National and international TV coverage

"These world championships which are a fundamental stage in the race for the Olympics will be broadcast live on RaiSport and can be seen in 42 countries around the world, thanks to the most welcome decision of the main sponsor, the Region of Sicily, to release free of charge images rights to TV broadcasters of all countries with athletes competing in Catania. This is a unique situation and an excellent opportunity to promote fencing in the world," said Giorgio Scarso, FIS President.

(b) Opportunity for Sicily, Italy, and the world of fencing

"An opportunity for Sicily and the sport in Sicily, for Sicilian fencing to promote the sport on its territory."

"For Italian fencing which can use the "home court" advantage of the World Championships before the Olympics both to aim for and gain the Olympic qualification for London of the largest possible number of fencers, and to state once again the role of international leader not only on the strip but also as an organizer."

For the world fencing since the FIE has found a local administration--the Region of Sicily--which understood all the potential that a world championship can bring."

(c) A powerful social message

Scarso stressed the importance of the social message, "The integrated two championships represent for Italian fencing an arrival point of gradual steps of cooperation with the Paralympic Committee but also a starting point for the new way to understand the world of fencing, one and integrated."

(d) "Fency," the prickly pear, is these Championships' mascot

During the press conference the new mascot of these championships was unveiled, "Fency," a prickly pear [typical fruit of Sicily] which will be with the fencers and the public during the Catania championships.

Over 50 national teams at the pre-championships training camp in Enna

From http://www.federscherma.it/news.asp?i=91769&s=7

More than 50 national federations from all 5 continents will be hosted in Enna from the end of September until the start of the championships for a period of training and acclimatization. This is part of the FIE training program ahead of the world championships organized by the Sport Science department of the Kore University in Enna with the cooperation of the university, the FIS, and the city administration of Enna.

The organizers are preparing a program of collateral activities for the participants which will include a promotion/exhibition fencing tournament.

So far 11 European countries, 12 from Africa, 13 from the Americas, 17 from Asia, and 1 from Oceania will have their athletes, coaches, and national delegates in Enna.

Excerpts from the press conference in Rome at CONI (Italian Olympic Commission)

Raffaele Pagnozzi, Italian Olympic committee (CONI) general secretary, said, "Fencing is the safe of Italian sport. More than one medal out of five comes from fencing."

Ana Pascu, FIE Vice President said, "The Italian Fencing Federation has a leading role in the world both on and off the strip."

About 1,700 fencers representing 130+ countries together with 200 paralympic athletes from 30 countries will compete in Catania.

International TV coverage

International TV networks which have accepted to carry this event so far:

Japan: TV Asahi Corporation
Germany: Zwetes Deutches Fernsehen; WDR/ARD German radio; ARD German TV
Great Britain: BBC TV
Hungary: Hungarian TV and Radio
South Korea: KBS
USA: NBC Universal
Brazil: Sports TV/Globosat
Slovenia: RTV
Spain: TVE Sports
China: CCTV Sports
Romania: Romanian Television

The commitment of the Region of Sicily, main sponsor

Total investment: EU 9 milion (2009 to 2011)

ROI: on average, each euro invested in the sport generates a return between 2.5 and 3 euro

25,000 people expected for the championships, 4,000 people involved in the organization of this event.

350 medals in total: 180 (50 gold, 50 silver, 80 bronze) for Olympic fencing and 170 (45 gold, 45 silver, 80 bronze) for Wheelchair fencing.

TV coverage in Italy

Rai Sport will have extensive daily live coverage on RaiSport2 plus interviews and commentaries. Jacopo Volpi, Vicedirector of RaiSport said, "For us the world championships in Catania are very important. We will have a live broadcast of 3 hours each day on Rai Sport 2, a digital channel... We will broadcast also through non digital channels."

The FIS public relations theme will debut in the next few days with the slogan (in English), "Are you ready?"

Why is no one talking about this?

Does anyone have the details?

Gav
-16th September 2011, 15:06
Oh and here's the new mascot...

Fency - The Prickly Pear (http://www.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/large_610x456_scaled/photos/819866.jpg)

Swords Crossed
-16th September 2011, 15:33
I can't seem to find any info about BBC coverage. It would be great if we could get to see some stuff on the red button, even.

Gav
-16th September 2011, 15:41
Thing is - if it's going to be covered (and I hope it is) you'd think it would be available in the schedules somewhere. I just can't find anything at all.

hokers
-16th September 2011, 16:01
Someone tweet @BBCSport_Ollie

If anyone will know it's him.

hokers
-16th September 2011, 16:15
That was quick! Good work strattonista!

strattonista
@BBCSport_Ollie can you please tell me what coverage will bbc show of Catania 2011?

@BBCSport_Ollie Ollie Williams
@strattonista Being decided. I'm in Japan at World Gymnastics while Catania's on so it won't be me although I'll be watching from afar.

@strattonista The ambition will certainly be to show something but what form that takes - live/highlights/features etc - to be confirmed.

strattonista
-16th September 2011, 16:15
I have just been in contact with Ollie,and he has said that the form the coverage takes is still to be confirmed.

Gav
-16th September 2011, 16:22
Doh. I should have thought of that! I never remember the name of the BBC journo responsible for the coverage on the news site.

Highlander
-16th September 2011, 17:44
This is a general heads up from my Italian correspondent gladius....

I've highlighted the most important point in Red...

Why is no one talking about this?

Does anyone have the details?

probably because arfurs going!

Gav
-18th September 2011, 22:56
probably because arfurs going!

I don't get this comment...

Gav
-18th September 2011, 22:57
Here's the official website...

http://www.cataniaescrime2011.com/default.aspx

You can clearly see Fency!

Highlander
-19th September 2011, 13:54
Quote: I don't get this comment...

Arfur team!!

Gav
-19th September 2011, 14:29

Arfur team!!

Ah, I see.

(That's a terrible pun - just so that you know!)

Swords Crossed
-19th September 2011, 15:03

Arfur team!!

Oh dear... :tumble:

Gav
-19th September 2011, 19:50
I've been chatting to someone about BBC coverage. I am told that the French TV stations have turned down the rights to show it - even though they were being given away. I note that Eurosport are listed as partners. TV coverage has also been agreed in the States even though NBC, like the BBC, haven't put anything on their schedule.

Yet there's not note of he other major broadcasters such the Beeb or NBC. Frankly this makes me uneasy.

Given the amount of graft that people are willing to put in pontificating on selection and the voting rights of parents I was wondering if we could harness that same passion to campaign to get more information out of the BBC. Or at least a statement of their intent.

I have a contact who is willing to chase down any extra information we want (if possible, if he can help).

What questions do people want to see asked? What can we do to get the TV rights utilised? Is BF chasing this with the powers that be? Answers on postcard please.

We used to pool our community resources together to get coverage into the hands of whoever wanted it. We complain about a lack of passion and communication in our sport and yet the Worlds are not long off. I can't think of a better way to increase enthusiasm than showing the best the world has to offer.

Lefty Foilist
-29th September 2011, 14:11
Here here Gav. Apparently the Worlds are going to be live-streamed on the FIE's Youtube channel (yay!). Maybe the BBC (etc) have rights to show highlights from bouts broadcast/put up on Youtube? It would mean that any reporter/soundmen/cameramen/editor (most likely all one and the same person!) can focus on the interview side of things instead of worrying about getting the camera and sound quality right showing bouts. Just a theory...
Either way, smashing news that there'll be a live stream from a reliable (?) source! Wonder what language the commentators will use, if they have them?

rpryer
-29th September 2011, 14:40
Eurosport's schedule shows a couple of programmes - http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=fencing - I hope that there will be more to come, as their schedule only shows up to 2 weeks ahead.

hokers
-29th September 2011, 14:59
How do they work out 50/50/80 Gold/Silver/Bronze medals?
6W x (1 ind + 4 team) = 30

What am I missing?

riposteinprime
-29th September 2011, 15:00
How do they work out 50/50/80 Gold/Silver/Bronze medals?
6W x (1 ind + 4 team) = 30

What am I missing?

wheelchair

Gav
-29th September 2011, 15:08
Here here Gav. Apparently the Worlds are going to be live-streamed on the FIE's Youtube channel (yay!). Maybe the BBC (etc) have rights to show highlights from bouts broadcast/put up on Youtube? It would mean that any reporter/soundmen/cameramen/editor (most likely all one and the same person!) can focus on the interview side of things instead of worrying about getting the camera and sound quality right showing bouts. Just a theory...
Either way, smashing news that there'll be a live stream from a reliable (?) source! Wonder what language the commentators will use, if they have them?

Looking at the page (http://www.youtube.com/user/FIEvideo) I see what you mean. I hadn't noticed so thanks for the heads up!

Of course I am still waiting to hear back from the beeb but as they are required to reply they'll get to me eventually.

From what I know. The rights on offer were normal broadcast rights. SkyTV are providing the OB unit so all the Beeb had to do was provide commentators and maybe cameras for interviews. Perhaps showing this on Youtube demonstrates the increasing irrelevance of traditional broadcasting?

I see RAI are doing full coverage still...

hokers
-29th September 2011, 15:52
wheelchair

350 medals in total: 180 (50 gold, 50 silver, 80 bronze) for Olympic fencing and 170 (45 gold, 45 silver, 80 bronze) for Wheelchair fencing.

Nope.

British Fencing
-29th September 2011, 16:41
EuroSport coverage of the World Championships is presently scheduled as follows:

Tue 11/10/2011 17:00 to 19:30 (live)

Wed 12/10/2011 22:00 to 24:00 (tape replay)

Sat 15/10/2011 17:15 to 20:15 (live)

Sun 16/10/2011 17:30 to 20:00 (live)

We will have more information as we get closer.

British Fencing
-29th September 2011, 21:42
The rights on offer were normal broadcast rights. SkyTV are providing the OB unit so all the Beeb had to do was provide commentators and maybe cameras for interviews. Perhaps showing this on Youtube demonstrates the increasing irrelevance of traditional broadcasting?

I see RAI are doing full coverage still...

The BBC will be showing the link to the FIE YouTube stream for the finals each night of the Worlds. The reason for their lack of direct coverage is that the GB team havenít performed in the last Worlds or Euros, plus the cost of producing/covering the live footage even on the Red Button cannot be justified. Ollie Williams is being sent to Japan for the World Gymnastics championships which clashes with Catania, and where there are supposedly higher expectations and a wider audience.

The FIE Channel coverage on YouTube will be in English with Karim Bashir providing lead commentary with a gentleman named Jochem. BF are the only federation that have been asked to provide a commentator showing our increasing international influence.

We will also have a British Fencing commentator on the four nights of EuroSport coverage.

As for RAI, it *is* in Italy and the Italians will likely be in a "very strong position". :whistle:

Gav
-30th September 2011, 00:10
BF,

This is slightly disingenuous.

... plus the cost of producing/covering the live footage even on the Red Button cannot be justified.
I am reliably informed that the OB unit will be provided for those with the athletes at the event. I am also reliably informed that this unit is actually operated by Sky TV. That being the case the BBC have not only missed an opportunity but have stopped another broadcaster from sticking it on one of their rival minor sports channels. Also the chances of GB making a medal are about the same as a Home Nation winning the world cup (sad but true). In terms of production costs for the beeb it's chickenfeed. I have a complaint with the BBC on this matter anyway so I'll let it wind it's slow progress through the production teams where it will (no doubt) be soundly ignored.

All I had to do to find this stuff out was to read the English version Italian press releases and then ask around. It was hardly rocket science. When I queried BF HQ I received a - shall we say - cool email asking where I'd sourced my information.

It was on the web. In the official (and unofficial) channels. All anyone had to do was look.

I am not entirely sure why your message has the tone it has.

Nevertheless, the FIE have made the correct choice showing it on a Youtube channel. We'll all be able to watch it gratis anyway. This is the sensible option.

hokers
-30th September 2011, 10:43
The FIE Channel coverage on YouTube will be in English with Karim Bashir providing lead commentary with a gentleman named Jochem. BF are the only federation that have been asked to provide a commentator showing our increasing international influence.

We will also have a British Fencing commentator on the four nights of EuroSport coverage.

Good news that Karim is commentating, I thought he was very good on the Euros commentary. Who's going to be from BF on the Eurosport commentary? Anyone but James Chambers please..

Mr long sword
-30th September 2011, 12:52
Dwayne Chambers..?

JohnL
-30th September 2011, 13:26
Is there a link to the live youtube feed, or do you just go onto youtube and search around?

(From the computer incompetent!!!)

Gav
-30th September 2011, 14:03
Here you go John.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FIEvideo

It's ok, you're too old to understand new fangledness.

JohnL
-30th September 2011, 14:25
Here you go John.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FIEvideo

It's ok, you're too old to understand new fangledness.

:dont::dont::dont::mad::mad::dont::dont:

Lefty Foilist
-30th September 2011, 15:57
A JohnL inspired thought occurs: I wonder how the link to the FIE Youtube channel will be advertised on the BBC website? I can imagine where on the site it might be put up (the fencing section of course, and the Sportsday Live text page) but, for example, will they put it up once on the text and just leave it? Or will it be 'advertised' with some frequency, like at the start of the poules, L128, 64 and so and so forth or at the average lunch times etc?
Lunch times, after school time and the early evening may well be the peak (therefore crucial) times for attracting a larger audience than simply advertising it at random.

British Fencing
-5th October 2011, 00:35
Fantastic flashmob in Catania Sicily to launch World Fencing Championships 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-K0sY8gzU #catania2011