PDA

View Full Version : MF Friendly: GB 45 JPN 42

Lefty Foilist
-27th September 2011, 10:22
As the title tells, our MFT beat Japan at the annual friendly at the Lansdowne last night, well done to them!
Few questions, starting with the obvious; was any Forum user there so we can get a lowdown on how the team fenced or if there were any cameras there?
Does anyone know BF going to publish a match report or video interviews with the squad?*

One more question, based on a comment posted by a gentleman on one of BF's Facebook statuses regarding the match: does hosting a match in an exclusive Mayfair private members club really promote the openess and accessibility of the the sport? (question paraphrased, not a direct quote).
It's a fair question that will probably be easily answered, I suppose. I remember there was a similar match occasion against the Russian MFT where the guests were delegates from the Russian embassy (understandable if it was a somewhat non-public event).

What I'm thinking (along with the validity of the question on the FB page) is what would the benefits and challenges be to BF setting up public friendly matches at more accessible (and less stereotypical) locations?

Thoughts?

*I know, I should probably email them if I'm asking that...

fa266
-27th September 2011, 10:45
I went after having been offered a last minute ticket. It was a great Match - GB led the whole way and had a 10 point lead at one point. Thought LH fenced very well and JK was also impressive with his long attacks. RK managed to get hit about 8 times on preparation but seemed to turn that to his advantage in the final bout by drawing the counter attack and then finishing. That said I know absolutely nothing about foil so this is all my own amateur interpretation.

Difficult issue re: venue. Fair play to the Lansdowne Club for putting on a great event. Would be great to see such matches at other locations but isn't it always an issue of money???

British Fencing
-27th September 2011, 14:29
One more question, based on a comment posted by a gentleman on one of BF's Facebook statuses regarding the match: does hosting a match in an exclusive Mayfair private members club really promote the openess and accessibility of the the sport? (question paraphrased, not a direct quote).
It's a fair question that will probably be easily answered, I suppose. I remember there was a similar match occasion against the Russian MFT where the guests were delegates from the Russian embassy (understandable if it was a somewhat non-public event).

Here is what I posted on Facebook last night in response to that comment:

"This match is organized every year by the Lansdowne Club, who for the past four years have provided training facilities to the Men's Foil Team as a sponsor. This is a very valuable contribution to BF and the MF squad, and gives the team the opportunity to train for a week with the world number three MF team in the run up to the World Championships. We are very grateful to the Lansdowne Club for their support and the exposure the event gives our sport. "

This is not a British Fencing event, it is a Lansdowne event, and one we are very proud to be a part of. We are aware how popular these events are and could be for the wider fencing public, and have been in discussion about doing more of them under the BF banner.

Lefty Foilist
-27th September 2011, 14:56
...This is not a British Fencing event, it is a Lansdowne event...

Buggery, missed that bit, I apologise for not seeing it. Fair answer.

@fa266 Thanks for the info! No worries about your lack of foil knowledge etc, it's as good an account as any. Jefferies dropped for Kenber then, I was wondering if that would happen. Saw his long attacks vs Poland at Sheffield and a few against China at last year's Worlds on youtube, quite impressive, and made me wonder about the competition for that 3rd spot in the team. Not all too suprised if Kruse was getting hit on prep; his style and the speed of the JPN fencers always made it likely, but equally unsuprised Kruse turned it to his advantage (patient and smart devil!).
Money... yeah, guess that's always the stumbling block! Let's say if a club or BF DID have the money, the types of venues could vary for whatever reason, but should they be consigned to London venues, or rotate friendly matches across different cities like what was done with the national football when Wembley was being knocked down and rebuilt?

J4G
-27th September 2011, 15:05
Great result, let's see if we can keep it up.

Would anyone know if there was any footage we can oggle at and learn from?