PDA

View Full Version : One Hit Epee

Urban Spaceman
-27th February 2004, 10:54
What are the rules for a one hit epee competition ? Is it everybody fences everybody else for 1 hit and number of victories wins ? What happens with double hits ?

Hudson
-27th February 2004, 11:26
double hits don'tcount.you fence till one light only.

Gav
-27th February 2004, 11:35
Double hits are double defeats - no-one wins.

oddball
-27th February 2004, 11:40
Last time we had a 1 hit epee comp it was in fancy dress. Well funny!!

Australian
-27th February 2004, 15:28
Originally posted by Gav
Double hits are double defeats - no-one wins.

true

oddball
-10th March 2004, 11:37
A sutable incentive to get single hits then!

stevejackson
-10th March 2004, 21:07
Depending on the rules being used double hits can end a fight as a double defeat on the grounds that if it were real you'd both be dead or as, I think, the pentathletes do you can ignore doubles. Check the local rules before you start.

PKT
-30th March 2004, 04:15
people it's "1-hit epee" with the hyphen between "1" and "hit" thereby turning it into an adjective modifying the compound noun epee competition.
geez!
Do you need a Cninese guy to show you guys the correct grammar?
:)
PK

Dalby
-30th March 2004, 11:36
Sorry old chap, but we don't really go in for hyphens in the UK (probably linked to our uncanny ability to spell words like "colour" correctly :confused: ).

Gav
-30th March 2004, 11:51
Originally posted by PKT
people it's "1-hit epee" with the hyphen between "1" and "hit" thereby turning it into an adjective modifying the compound noun epee competition.
geez!
Do you need a Cninese guy to show you guys the correct grammar?
:)
PK

You pedant. ;)

PKT
-30th March 2004, 20:50
Originally posted by Dalby
Sorry old chap, but we don't really go in for hyphens in the UK (probably linked to our uncanny ability to spell words like "colour" correctly :confused: ).

We do that too in Canada.

FYI:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040302/FASS02/TPComment/Features

English in decline?

The use of English is slipping among the world's 15-to-24-year-olds, according to David Graddol, a British language consultant, writing in the journal Science. Currently, English (with 372 million speakers over all) is second to Chinese (1.1 billion speakers). By 2050, he writes, the ranking in the 15-to-24 age group will be: Chinese, 166 million speakers; Hindu/Urdu 73.7 million; Arabic, 72.2 million and English, 65 million.

PK

PKT
-30th March 2004, 20:54
Originally posted by Gav
You pedant. ;)

Gav,

Indeed.

Give you two examples two examples of the importance of the little hyphen [i'll throw in the corect use of the word "comprise" at no extra charge:

1. Our club comprises 30 odd members.

2. Our club comprises 30-odd members.

You tell me the difference in meaning the two sentences convey to you.

PK

Gav
-31st March 2004, 06:46
<sigh>

PKT,

I was being sardonic.

And I fully understand what a hyphen is.

Dalby
-31st March 2004, 09:55
The use of English is slipping among the world's 15-to-24-year-olds, according to David Graddol, a British language consultant, writing in the journal Science. Currently, English (with 372 million speakers over all) is second to Chinese (1.1 billion speakers). By 2050, he writes, the ranking in the 15-to-24 age group will be: Chinese, 166 million speakers; Hindu/Urdu 73.7 million; Arabic, 72.2 million and English, 65 million.
That sounds as though it comes from the same source as "78% of all statistics are made up".

Mr. Graddol seems to be forecasting a wholesale abandonment of English in Britain & the Commonwealth and ignores the demographic catastrophe looming in China (single child policy combined with residual cultural preference for sons - just who's going to be around to make all those 15-24 year olds in the Chinese speaking world?)

ceprab
-2nd April 2004, 12:42
Originally posted by PKT
Gav,

1. Our club comprises 30 odd members.

2. Our club comprises 30-odd members.

You tell me the difference in meaning the two sentences convey to you.

PK

Overall they tell me that you understand our club surprisingly well.:transport:

Steve
-2nd April 2004, 13:16
That sounds as though it comes from the same source as "78% of all statistics are made up".

I though it was 92%... oh wait...:rolleyes:

oddball
-28th April 2004, 11:30
or is that 86%......