PDA

View Full Version : Agm

Mellish
-28th October 2011, 09:54
(Searching doesn't seem to find anything on 'AGM' - which is tomorrow. Is there are another discussion going on elsewhere?)

Perhaps people would like to comment and expand, but I would suggest that what most members would like is:

1. GB represented at as many international events as possible for all weapons (what if every country applied the BF selection criteria - would there still be a World Championship? I note that Australia fielded an epee team why not GB?)

2. There should be a proper process and electronic form for applying for international events on the BF website, including satellites, and not just a mobile number and email of the weapons director. There appears to be no instructions whatsoever on how to enter a satellite on http://www.britishfencing.com/international/

3. BF should be supported in demanding that funded athletes do their preparation, and should be free to switch funding to different athletes if they have good grounds for doing so, but they should nonetheless support athletes who are prepared to use their own resources to attend international events - where there are spaces in the national allocation. Losing at these events might not send a good media message - but having no-one there at all sends a far more damaging message.

4. Fencing is very much an amateur sport, and while funding makes a big difference to the top athletes, the rest of us cannot be held to ransom by the diktats of funding bodies. There seems to be suggestions that funding bodies are calling the shots behind the scenes - the influence of all external bodies needs to be made transparent by BF. This is our sport and we will not see it undermined by politicians and civil servants.

I intend going tomorrow - and I will be particularly interested to hear BF's justification for what I personally think was a disgraceful handling of JW and GU, who have dedicated so much to and achieved so much for our sport.

wingnutLP
-28th October 2011, 13:21
http://www.fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?15889-Bfa-agm

Highlander
-28th October 2011, 14:29
Mellish
Its a shame you missed the original thread as I think you have very valid comments.

These are the sort of things we should have ensured were on the agenda.

Next time a list of items like yours has to be debated at the AGM level.

jmayle
-28th October 2011, 20:29
(Searching doesn't seem to find anything on 'AGM' - which is tomorrow. Is there are another discussion going on elsewhere?)

Perhaps people would like to comment and expand, but I would suggest that what most members would like is:

1. GB represented at as many international events as possible for all weapons (what if every country applied the BF selection criteria - would there still be a World Championship? I note that Australia fielded an epee team why not GB?)

2. There should be a proper process and electronic form for applying for international events on the BF website, including satellites, and not just a mobile number and email of the weapons director. There appears to be no instructions whatsoever on how to enter a satellite on http://www.britishfencing.com/international/

3. BF should be supported in demanding that funded athletes do their preparation, and should be free to switch funding to different athletes if they have good grounds for doing so, but they should nonetheless support athletes who are prepared to use their own resources to attend international events - where there are spaces in the national allocation. Losing at these events might not send a good media message - but having no-one there at all sends a far more damaging message.

4. Fencing is very much an amateur sport, and while funding makes a big difference to the top athletes, the rest of us cannot be held to ransom by the diktats of funding bodies. There seems to be suggestions that funding bodies are calling the shots behind the scenes - the influence of all external bodies needs to be made transparent by BF. This is our sport and we will not see it undermined by politicians and civil servants.

I intend going tomorrow - and I will be particularly interested to hear BF's justification for what I personally think was a disgraceful handling of JW and GU, who have dedicated so much to and achieved so much for our sport.

Well said. I was intending going along to the AGM but found it clashed with an already booked holiday/training camp so unfortunately will be unable to. Good luck AAO in all that you aspire to achieve, you have my full support, as I think you are aware.

June